Mortimer McMire's look/costume

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Mortimer McMire's look/costume

Post by szemi »

Hello!

I'm very curious: Does Mortimer have official costume?

Because I've seen different costumes in each Keen mods. Especially in Mort 1: Doomship Dilemma, and Keen X. And there is 1 official, Mort's helmet in Keen 5's ending, but no further infos are known like his T-shirt, his pants, his shoes. So you know what I mean.

EDIT: Read below the comments to know what Tom Hall confirmed about Mort's costume!
Last edited by szemi on Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:28, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, piece of cake!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Question about Mortimer McMire's costume

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Since you're talking about the official costume, you'll need to look at the official games, not fan-made mods. So the only clues we've got are the helmet from Keen 5 and the final level from Keen 3. I know, technically it's not Mortimer in Keen 3, but Billy sure thinks it's him, so it's safe to assume that it's the costume Mortimer would be wearing.

Anything else is just pure speculation and doesn't deserve to be called "official" unless Tom Hall says so. (Yeah, this also means that Keen GBC doesn't count. Period. :mort2 )

If you wanted to discuss what Mortimer's costume should look like in any future mods, then perhaps you shouldn't be talking about the "official" costume in the first place.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Well, I asked Tom Hall about this and he said the following:

"Most of those are known... Helmet is banged up Chicago Bears helmet. Pants are jeans, i thiiiiiink black shirt, and adhering to that old palette, probably blue eyes."
Yeah, piece of cake!
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Huh. I didn't know Mortimer's Helmet was of the Chicago bears. Learned something new.
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Yeah.

And another thing he told me after asking:

"He has no official stunner, just the mangling machine. He likes being more devious than a simple sidearm, probably...."
Yeah, piece of cake!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

szemi wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:54 Well, I asked Tom Hall about this and he said the following:
"[...] Helmet is banged up Chicago Bears helmet."
So it is a Bears helmet! I've suspected this for years, after seeing a clip from some random old football video where the players had black helmets with a white C :mort2 (which my brother told me was the Bears logo). Also, fun fact: the Chicago Bears are supposedly arch-enemies of the Green Bay Packers. Coincidence? :evil

Do you have a link to your conversation with Tom Hall? (This was on Twitter like the rest of them, right?) Not that I don't believe you, I'm just a bit curious to see the original message.
szemi wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:54 "[...] i thiiiiiink black shirt [...]"
For a long time I've thought the "Mortimer" in the Mangling Machine looked like he was wearing a white shirt with black suspenders over it. I guess it's actually a black tank top then?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

It was a chat on facebook.

And as I quoted, you should believe it. Why? I got to know another info about his eye-brow:

He said:
"In original i think they are black. In fan-games, brown cuz they just changed Keen’s image. Black or super dark brown. Sorta like Damien in The Omen."

UPDATE: I also asked Tom about the colour Mort's shoes. Here it is:

"Black version of Keen’s shoes.
Yeah, piece of cake!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Oh shoot, my costume was off then :D

Thanks for asking him Szemi! Neat stuff
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Great info, had no idea about the Chicago Bears helmet. That being the case, it seems almost certain that the helmet as seen in Keen 5 only has the double M on it in order to explicitly indicate to the player who it belongs to (or it's just a mistake). Similar to how Keen's is missing the green G in the title screen and other images.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Interesting. Good research Szemi. :mort
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Someone add it to the keenwiki.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Who goes by the username of Someone?
out now (link) : Image
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Hmmm... Mortimmer's Wardrobe sounds pretty much purely Black
So this Mortimer's official look?

In Keen 5, we saw a Black Helmet with Red MM on the side, for Mortimer Mcmire

So this could possible be how he Dressed Doing Goodbye Galaxy, after the Defeat on Vorticon VI?

I'd like to think he started to wear a red Shirt after he had to Rescue he's Sister
after he had ordered the Bloogs capture her, to annoy Keen. only to realize they were planed to eat her...
and keeps the Blaster was because: incompetent Minions.

Wait-what it's Just over Sport teams!?, and here i though it was over the +1 in IQ or Mortimer possible working for Vitacorp...
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Zilem wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 21:32 Hmmm... Mortimmer's Wardrobe sounds pretty much purely Black
Nope, he has jeans like I mentioned x comments above. Read that. Also, I mentioned the shoes of Mortimer as well.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

szemi wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 21:36
Zilem wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 21:32 Hmmm... Mortimmer's Wardrobe sounds pretty much purely Black
Nope, he has jeans like I mentioned x comments above. Read that. Also, I mentioned the shoes of Mortimer as well.
Why is it that you so often insinuate that i didn't read your posts?, when i have! It's getting rather annoying...

Jeans is a type of pants, i saw no specification if they are Loose or Tight or the Color for that matter.
I took a wild Guess about the pants. with the information: Black Helmet, Black Shirt, Black Shoes, Black Hair, hmm Blue Eyes.
they can't possible be Black.

"Black version of Keen’s shoes"
Red and White -> Black and White or Black and Gray
We only have 2 shades of Dark: Black & Dark gray.
Black is already used the outline and as the Dark shade of Black, while the Black highlight is Dark gray
Maybe spot can spot the problem?
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.