Commander Keen: the comic strip

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Thank god i'm not an artist (and to be honest, can't see the difference in any of them - they all look equally beautiful to me).
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Mort
Vortininja

strip #017 (new)

Post by Mort »

Love the color jobs on both accounts. Unfortunately I can't use them on the site regardless of how masterful they might be. I just like keeping that site "mine-all-mine" -- for better or worse. Don't let that stop you from coloring my stuff and posting it here though, if inspiration hits and time permits. 8)

Speaking of which, I did an extremely simple and limited coloring job on the header which you can see on the blog (it's not even worth posting the actual image here). Essentially I only colored in Keen and the Yorp and left the rest B&W. For what it's worth, I think it works relatively well with the design of the site in general.

Header business aside, here's the latest strip... Actually, it's a re-do of strip 17 -- the one where Keen dies. (As you can probably tell, I lifted the first panel directly from the other strip.) After thinking about it for a while, I figured that the whole concept of Keen having multiple lives is something best left for later in the story, if I use that idea at all. I'll just have to put the alternate version as another "delete scene".

Click to enlarge
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Great, as usual. You should really add a "bonus comics" section to your site though, so the comics of Keen being killed and uh, pissed on don't get lost. :)

I managed to get the same file only 70 kb rather than 200 kb. 16 colours and max PNG compression didn't decrease ANY of the image quality at all.

4-bit (16 color) PNG with a compression ratio of 9 in Irfanview :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

:) Nice! I like how Keen mentions the belt.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

DaVince wrote:Great, as usual. You should really add a "bonus comics" section to your site though, so the comics of Keen being killed and uh, pissed on don't get lost. :)

I managed to get the same file only 70 kb rather than 200 kb. 16 colours and max PNG compression didn't decrease ANY of the image quality at all.

with ken silverman's pngout plugin for irfanview it can probably be made even smaller 8)

EDIT : i got 1kb off of it [tested 8colours and got 62kb]
most times it works better
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

Make thread sticky? :begging
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

^ +1
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

memsys wrote:
DaVince wrote:Great, as usual. You should really add a "bonus comics" section to your site though, so the comics of Keen being killed and uh, pissed on don't get lost. :)

with ken silverman's pngout plugin for irfanview it can probably be made even smaller 8)

EDIT : i got 1kb off of it [tested 8colours and got 62kb]
most times it works better
I tried to use PNGOUT actually, but it doesn't matter at all in this case. I think it became 3kb bigger when I tried (max amount of passes)... :rolleyes
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Mort
Vortininja

CK 018 (new)

Post by Mort »

Thanks. :) God knows we don't want to lose the pee comic! :p

But seriously, I have thought about doing that, but I'm just trying to figure out exactly how I want to fit into the blog's structure. Since I'm using blogger it wouldn't be as straitforward as just creating another page. It would be another post, and I don't want to screw up how everything is organized (I'm kind of anal about that kind of thing.) But regardless, I'll do something. Everything can be found on deviant art anyway (even some of the REALLY bad stuff I didn't post here).

DaVince wrote:I managed to get the same file only 70 kb rather than 200 kb. 16 colours and max PNG compression didn't decrease ANY of the image quality at all.

Well.... since I'm not well versed in image compression, I just saved it as a png and hoped for the best. But having read your post I got a trial version of a random compression utility off of download.com and used it on the next strip. I got the size down to 100K or so. (I did a quick search on irfanview and only found the pay version, so I didn't get it.) Hopefully that will suffice for now.

Anyway, here's the sauce:

Click to enlarge
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Heh, Keen seems a bit hyperactive. Too much sugar. :crazy
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

Marcus?
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

Keen has friends? Inconceivable!
memsys
Vortininja

Re: CK 018 (new)

Post by memsys »

DaVince wrote:I managed to get the same file only 70 kb rather than 200 kb. 16 colours and max PNG compression didn't decrease ANY of the image quality at all.

Well.... since I'm not well versed in image compression, I just saved it as a png and hoped for the best. But having read your post I got a trial version of a random compression utility off of download.com and used it on the next strip. I got the size down to 100K or so. (I did a quick search on irfanview and only found the pay version, so I didn't get it.) Hopefully that will suffice for now.
irfanview is free (for non-commercial use) so download it here
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Allstories wrote:Keen has friends? Inconceivable!
I didn't like that idea either... I've always seen him as a kind of loner, or mature enough to understand he doesn't need them.
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

KeenRush wrote:
Allstories wrote:Keen has friends? Inconceivable!
I didn't like that idea either... I've always seen him as a kind of loner, or mature enough to understand he doesn't need them.
There's lots of stuff I'm mature enough to know I don't need, but I like having anyway. Personally, I picture him both ways. He is independent enough to be able to entertain himself, but at the same time he can socialize naturally without much effort mostly because he tends to ask so many questions.

For me, your description fits Mortimer more. No friends, yadda yadda.... Or maybe I should just let the comic speak for itself....

To each their own.
Allstories wrote:Marcus?
I got the name from "Fox Trot". It's the name of Jason's friend. :)

[Edit:] Changed some wording. Added some stuff.