Welcome to a Kick in the Pants in Good Old Hillville 8-bit

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Welcome to a Kick in the Pants in Good Old Hillville 8-bit

Post by ZidaneA »

Well, yes..
I remastred the "Welcome to a Kick in the Pants in Good Old Hillville" from Commander Keen 4 into an 8-bit song.
It's not that impressive though, and it's pretty short. (Counts as a loop rather than a full song)

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/189008

I have made 2 more remastred versions of CK songs, although they're not that good.

Aliens Ate My Cake (Aliens Ate My Babysitter)
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/63515

Keen Alert (Make it Tighter
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/57864

Note that the last two songs are the songs used in Lava89's "Commander Keen 64 Demo". Here's the topic:
https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=323&start=0

Oh, right... Would someone mind putting these songs on the Keen Wiki, the remixes-page? I can't do it, and I don't know why. It just doesn't work. Guess the KeenWiki likes to fucl with me or something.

EDIT: Okay, so I've got an account on CKFS now and I've uploaded everything there.

http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/zidanea/
Last edited by ZidaneA on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:12, edited 3 times in total.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

the original was kewl, can't wait to here ure remix
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

What's an 8-bit song? Any chance of uploading these as .mp3/.ogg files, so those of us without Flash can listen to them too?
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

That's pretty neat, ZidaneA. Nice job!
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Malvineous wrote:What's an 8-bit song? Any chance of uploading these as .mp3/.ogg files, so those of us without Flash can listen to them too?
I don't know if it's called 8-bit song or not, but that's what I call it.
Anyway, you might have played the first Super Mario Bros. game on the NES? I've been trying to copy the concept of the audio from the NES-console.

Wikipedias explanation:
"The NES board supported a total of five sound channels. These included two pulse wave channels of variable duty cycle (12.5%, 25%, 50%, and 75%), with a volume control of sixteen levels, and hardware pitch bending supporting frequencies ranging from 54 Hz to 28 kHz. Additional channels included one fixed-volume triangle wave channel supporting frequencies from 27 Hz to 56 kHz, one sixteen-volume level white noise channel supporting two modes (by adjusting inputs on a linear feedback shift register) at sixteen preprogrammed frequencies, and one delta pulse-width modulation channel with six bits of range, using 1-bit delta encoding at sixteen preprogrammed sample rates from 4.2 kHz to 33.5 kHz. This final channel was also capable of playing standard pulse-code modulation (PCM) sound by writing individual 7-bit values at timed intervals.[39]"

I wanted to see how Commander Keen would sound if it came to the NES.

I'd really love to be able to upload them directly to some site instead of using Newgrounds, but it's the only place I've got.
I've been thinking about using the Commander Keen Storage-thingie someone created, but I don't know how to use it and if people will be able to download the files directly from there.

Thank you, Mink!
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Ah ok, so a pre-OPL type synth. There are a few people around that convert NES music to MIDI with a custom soundfont which apparently sounds pretty authentic.

If you're talking about CKFS then AFAIK it's easy to upload and anyone can download.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Haha, sounds great, just as if it was made 20 years ago! :) (Heh, although the original tune almost is...)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ravey
Grunt

Post by Ravey »

They sound good, what did you use to make them? Famitracker?
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Thanks everyone :D
Ravey wrote:They sound good, what did you use to make them? Famitracker?
I used Fruity Loops.

Aliens Ate My Cake and Keen Alert where made using basic plugins that follows the program when you buy it.

For Welcome to a Kick in the Pants 8-bit I used FSP (Fruity Soundfont Player) with 8-Bit Mania.
Malvineous wrote: If you're talking about CKFS then AFAIK it's easy to upload and anyone can download.
Okay, could you tell me how?
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

E-mail Grafix for an account: http://files.commanderkeen.org/
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Malvineous: Oki, thx!

I've uploaded all songs on the CKFS. I put the link in the "main post" but I'll put it here as well: http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/zidanea/
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Yay, I can listen to them at last! :-) They're great, I really like them all! What'd you use to compose them in?

Now I finally know what you mean by an 8-bit song. Sounds like a cross between a PC speaker and a SNES. I like it :-)

Edit: Now that you've got decent hosting I added them to the KeenWiki too!
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Malvineous wrote:Yay, I can listen to them at last! :-) They're great, I really like them all! What'd you use to compose them in?

Now I finally know what you mean by an 8-bit song. Sounds like a cross between a PC speaker and a SNES. I like it :-)

Edit: Now that you've got decent hosting I added them to the KeenWiki too!
Thank you! :)
I use Fruity Loops. Keen Alert and Aliens Ate My Cake are made with the basic plugins that follows with the program. Welcome To A Kick In The Pants however, is made with Sound Font, 8-bitmania.

Thanks once again!
MM
Grunt

Post by MM »

reminds me of uploading my remix of "Make it Tighter" in MP3-format. I released it some years ago as an XM-module...