#keen IRC Channel

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

#keen IRC Channel

Post by Commander Spleen »

A couple of months ago, I configured a Linux machine running an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) server. It's been running for a month straight now, without any notable hiccups, so it's about time to announce its existence.
  • To access it, use this URL as the server: irc.jimage.org (I'll setup irc.planetkeen.com as an alternative in the near future)
  • Make sure your client is set to use port 6667.
  • Once you're in, join the channel #keen (and #party if you feel like chatting to a couple of my friends who turn up every now and then).
My connection isn't the fastest (1500/256) or most stable (dodgy router that tends to hold onto dead connections and then choke on them, combined with somewhat problematic infrastructure), so expect at least one disconnect every day or two. If you setup your client to auto-reconnect, you shouldn't have any troubles with that.

The reason I've set this up is that MSN is currently the main way of interacting with other Keeners in real-time. This is all well and good, but when it comes to chats with three or more people, MSN becomes problematic.

In addition, I hope to use this for discussion of the Commander Keen Community Mod in the future.

If you need any help setting yourself up for IRC, ask and I'll help you out.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I should stop by more often than the one or two times I've been there. :o I don't like irc, but as said, it can be handy, especially if you have a good client that can notice you somehow if there's been talk since you haven't watched the window or what lines are said by you by different colours. I'm rambling, yeah. The other Keen channel, #keeners, is still active, I think, but it has never been very Keen for what I've seen.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Re: #keen IRC Channel

Post by Sciz CT »

Commander Spleen wrote:In addition, I hope to use this for discussion of the Commander Keen Community Mod in the future.
At least someone else is still interested in it. I'm not as time-restricted as I was in the last post there (quitting WoW helped), but I'm still not crazy about doing the entirety of the graphics myself.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

I don't think I'll ever drop by but I hope that it'll do better than that previous thing.
Aaaah, not the bees!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Nice! I'll be sure to be on there whenever I think of it or feel like chatting. :)

EDIT:
DaVince(away) Erroneous Nickname: Illegal characters
I'm sure my Away nickname works on other IRC servers, though.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

I'll be there now always, when I'm online. I always have to keep an IRC client opened for my duties.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

What client would you guys recommend? (I'm running Vista.)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I'm using http://www.xchat.org/ at times. It's free and has worked well enough for me, but of course it's far from perfect.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I'm using ChatZilla, it's a Firefox extension.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
xtraverse
Stranded Fish

Post by xtraverse »

mIRC is decent.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

I use Chatzilla (Firefox add-on) on Firefox 2 for Windows Vista, Konversation for openSUSE 10.3 (much better).
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

Let's go Web 1.85 and use this.
It's supported by mIRC and ChatZilla (which I use (if I'd ever use IRC anymore)), and probably more.

Basically you make the following link work:
irc://irc.irchighway.net/keeners
That's what used to be the official Keen chat... that is, the one that's advertised on CC314.
I guess maybe it's defunct now, I can't check on this system.

Again, can't check, but this should work:
irc://irc.jimage.org/keen
Retodon8
Sheep happens
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Actually, it won't at the moment... my network is in a state of disrepair until my new routers and modem arrive. That and the server needs some fixing.

That URL format sounds like a plan, though. As does ChatZilla, which I'll investigate when everything's working again.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Looking forward to it! :)