Keen 3 in Galaxy style

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Keen 3 in Galaxy style

Post by Nisaba »

this is exciting! you really put a lot of love into this. thanks for sharing insights.
and yeah, I'm with Roobar: Definitely a mod I'm looking for! a playable demo version for Keen day march the 14th would be admirable
out now (link) : Image
Kayburt
Vortininja

Post by Kayburt »

Afraid I don't have the means and skills to make even a demo of the mod. However I can continue to whet your appetite with additional shots. Any skilled modder who is willing to take on the making of the mod, I can provide graphics and sprites as best I can.

Feast your eyes on these:

We see the Vorticon King up close with Keen himself. I changed the text slightly because in Keen 4 style, you don't kill enemies, you just stun them. This is good because the Vorticons don't deserve to be blasted with a hyperpistol.

And what Commander Keen game would be complete without a High Score screen?
Kayburt
Vortininja

Post by Kayburt »

Haven't posted any stuff in a year. Nothing too exciting, but I think Keen 3 may also look good in 4-color CGA. Cyan-purple isn't the prettiest color scheme, but with the aid of composite video, it may look just as good as EGA.

DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Nice! I sent you a PM
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

:O Wow! This loos so good! Can't wait for this! I'd even play this in CGA (feels nostalgic)!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Those backgrounds are beautiful. Really great art. I think amongst the original games, Keen3 graphics are by far the most compatible with cyan-magenta scheme so definitely a good choice on your part.

Can't wait to see how you implement a Mangling Machine in the Galaxy engine... could be utterly epic.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

this really is an exciting project. what's the current status and how are things coming along?
out now (link) : Image
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

Kayburt wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 18:24 Afraid I don't have the means and skills to make even a demo of the mod. However I can continue to whet your appetite with additional shots. Any skilled modder who is willing to take on the making of the mod, I can provide graphics and sprites as best I can.
The screenshots you provided so far, are they like made in paint or something, Or did you edit the levels but not the behavoirs?
nothing usefull here
Kayburt
Vortininja

Post by Kayburt »

Made them in paint. Used a 16x16 grid squares to guide me as I drew and coloured some of the tiles.
Last edited by Kayburt on Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:06, edited 2 times in total.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Now that we have source code recreations of Keens 4-6 available, a Galaxy recreation of Keen 3 might actually be more feasible than before! You have such great artwork that it would be a shame if your idea never became an actual mod, whether it was programmed by you or someone else.

By the way, about Hal's Kitchen, I remember NetKeen having a pretty good recreation of the level that worked well with the 3D-ish look. Your version looks really neat, though; it could make for a good bonus level.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Quillax wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:33 Now that we have source code recreations of Keens 4-6 available, a Galaxy recreation of Keen 3 might actually be more feasible than before! You have such great artwork that it would be a shame if your idea never became an actual mod, whether it was programmed by you or someone else.

By the way, about Hal's Kitchen, I remember NetKeen having a pretty good recreation of the level that worked well with the 3D-ish look. Your version looks really neat, though; it could make for a good bonus level.
I am quoting this because I want a Keen 3 Galaxy remake :)
martin20000
Grunt

Post by martin20000 »

this is COOL:pirate love the world map. also, did you make a keen 1 in galaxy style? :dopefish :dopefish :dopefish :dopefish
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Any prospect of this project getting finished? It would be great to have the whole Vorticons trilogy remade in Galaxy style, even if the remake of Keen 2 remains unfinished (but fully playable and completeable, it just could use a lot of improvements).
I lack almost all the skills of a good pixel artist: I have a lot of visual sensitivity, but despite this I lack visual imagination, I don't have a steady hand (this is what "being double-left-handed" means) and I don't know how to use graphic programs more sophisticated than "Paint XP for Windows 7" (seriously, I can't even use new Paint... and even in Paint XP I never figured out how exactly to use some functions, such as the curve tool). But I could try at least one little contribution: a more sophisticated "Vortiville" sign, in style of some welcome signs more interesting than a mere city limits sign with the name of the particular city or town: