Some Keen Etymology

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Ceilick
The Dude

Some Keen Etymology

Post by Ceilick »

Was doing some etymology homework and thought it would be fun to investigate a few Keen words. A lot of Keen names have fairly obvious origins (bounder, blorb, lick, etc) but I found these two interesting:

Fribbulus Xax: a combination of the word Fribble, “A foolish or inconsequential person or thing” and frivolous, “not having any serious purpose or value”. Sounds like episode 6 to as a whole to me.

Vorticon: Voracious “wanting or devouring great quantities of food” (seems to be a dog/wolf like characteristic), Vorticism “artistic movement influenced by cubism and futurism”. A brief look at futurism on wikipedia reveals, “The futurists admired speed, technology, youth and violence, the car, the airplane, and the industrial city, all that represented the technological triumph of humanity over nature, and they were passionate nationalists.” Passionate nationalists, youth and violence, a futuristic industrial society; sounds like the Vorticons under Mortimer's rule.
Last edited by Fleexy on Sun May 09, 2021 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix misencoded quotation marks
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Sounds reasonable, especially the second one. Why have I never heard of Vorticism?! Of course it could be just another funny coincidence, but just as well it could be Tom knew some arts and was inspired. :disguised
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'm pretty sure Tom was aware of the word "vore" but the art thing might be a coincidence, but a good one :)

Great thread, by the way I hope more examples follow.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Anoba
Vortininja

enjoyed the academic nature of your post.

Post by Anoba »

Good work, Ceilick. You're fast becoming a Keen deity. I hope everything is going well.
Compromising folks drive cars. Wise folks ride bikes and trains. Clever folks ride pogo-sticks.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I think it's a coincidence too, but its funny how those things seem to work out rather well. 8)

Here's a few more, some more obvious than others:

Bobba: from 'bob', "make or cause to make a quick, short movement up and down". Describes their movement pretty accurately.

Babobba: the same, but the prefix 'Ba-' is likely from "Baby".

Garg: possibly from "Gargle", I've always thought dying Gargs sound like they're gargling.

Yorp: possibly from "Yip", "a short, sharp cry or yelp". Yorps make a sound like this on death. 'Yaar', "a friendly form of address". Yorps are excessively friendly.

Arachnut: from 'Arachnid', "an arthropod of the class Arachnida, which includes spiders..." and 'nut', "a crazy or eccentric person".

Berkeloid: possibly from 'Berserk'.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Berkeloid was based on someone's name, kind of an injoke--Bourke or Berkle, or something similar. Anyone got a source for this? I only remember reading about it in a thread long ago.

Garg could also borrow from 'Argh!':

"1. An exclaimation of annoyance, exasperation, or other negative factor.
2. The sound a made by a stereotypical pirate."

"the correct version of an expression of frustration or anger"

Though not a creature, Vitalin is an interesting one. Obviously based on 'vitamin' but also putting an emphasis on 'vitality'.

What of Bloog or Fleex? Those seem to be somewhat abstract.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

"Vitalin" is probably from "vitare," which means "to live" in Latin. The -lin suffix is usually used in pharmaceuticals and some chemical compounds so that's probably where it's from. (Spleen's explanation is basically the same, but simpler :P )

Omegamatic is pretty straightforward...omega, as the last letter of the Greek alphabet, is used (especially biblically) to suggest the end of something...in other words, armageddon, which is in the title of Keen 5. The -matic suffix would mean that it is a machine.

I have long thought about where the name "Berkeloid" could possibly come from. Berserk is an interesting idea, but the two words are just too different in my mind. The first thing I think of is Berkeley, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the context of the monster I don't think.

I imagine "Bloog" is just a random name, without any sort of interesting etymology, but "Fleex" sounds like it's from something. I'll see if I can think of anything good..."flux" and "flex" both immediately come to mind.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Heh, I thought fleex was kind of obvious for 'fix', as they are the Bloog's mechanics.

I think StupidBunny is right about Bloog, just some random word that sounds alien, though it could be a variation of 'boogie man'.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Well, that Berkeloid is kind of a berk. But since that word is only used in the UK as far as I know, that's propably not the point of the name.
The thing with "berkle" I read in the Community Mod page: Name for Baby Berkeloid. So that might be where Spleen remembered the word from, but I'm not familiar with the old ezboard. Spleen could also be right, because Berkle obviously is a family name if you google it.

Garg and gargle may be right, because they make that sound: "You hear in your mind: GAAARG!", and the highscore entry is "Gargile".

Fleex: could be "flee" and "ex" together, since it runs after you, and thus prevents you from fleeing.

I've got no Idea for Bloog though, they're not even blue or something.
Notable that a bloog seems to be an electronic cigarette: http://www.bloogplanet.com :confused
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Those actually looks kind of neat, wouldn't mind trying a bloog :smokin :lol
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

"Electronic Cigarettes"??? Wtf, that's really weird. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Probably nothing real, that one...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

tulip wrote:Spleen could also be right, because Berkle obviously is a family name if you google it.
He is right, Tom Hall explained it in an interview/FAQ/something once.
The Berkeloid is named after a boy called Berkle, or similar, who thought of a monster made of fire... or dreamed about such a monster maybe.
I'm going from memory here, couldn't find where I read it.

The same text explains Princess Lindsey was named after a girl called Lindsey who also wrote Apogee.
Her last name sounded Mexican, so she has a bit more colour then Billy.
Something like that anyway.
StupidBunny wrote:"Vitalin" is probably from "vitare," which means "to live" in Latin. The -lin suffix is usually used in pharmaceuticals and some chemical compounds so that's probably where it's from. (Spleen's explanation is basically the same, but simpler :P )
It sounds a lot like "Ritalin", which can't be a coincidence.
That's basically what you said already, but I'm naming a specific product.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
grafix
Chilling in Crystalus

Post by grafix »

Actually, someone I know from school has an electronic cigarette. He used it for a while because he was trying to quit smoking (although I don't think it worked very well...)
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Ceilick is 'ceiling' and 'lick,' obviously. :P

Spirogrip is 'spiral' and 'grip,' while we're at it.

Spindred is 'spin,' 'dread,' and 'red.' :)

I'm curious what can be said about the Orbatrix. Orbit, Tricks, and...?

I'm also curious about Shikadi...

TMST also pointed out that Three Tooth Lake could be Trident. :)