Short Speech About Commander Keen (Gief helps!)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Short Speech About Commander Keen (Gief helps!)

Post by ZidaneA »

In school, we're having a project. A speech-project. Every student is supposed to write their own informative speech about whatever they want..
I decided to give a speech about our dear Commander Keen :)
and I want YOU to help me out!

The speech is gonna be about 5 minutes, and I'm allowed to show pictures ETC. (I'm even allow to show a short movieclip. If it's beneath 30 seconds long).
The speech is going to be held in a week exactly.

What exactly should I talk about? There's so much to Commander Keen I don't know where to start. :dead
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Garg, I can't think anything now when the possibilities are endless. :p Maybe you could explain, or try to, what keeps you in these forums even if the last game was released almost two decades ago.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

KeenRush wrote:Garg, I can't think anything now when the possibilities are endless. :p Maybe you could explain, or try to, what keeps you in these forums even if the last game was released almost two decades ago.
Can't do that, since it's an informative speech >: I have to inform the others about CK, and maybe the forum. But I can't talk about my own relations to the game.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Some ideas:
- an overview of the games and the cult fandom they inspire
- TUIT, Tom Hall, iD
- the community (PCKF, K:M, various sites) and what it's like inside it (e.g. peaceful, creative people)
- the modding scene
- cameos in other games

Lots of possibilities!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The fact it was the first (good) platformer for the PC is a start. You could teach them about the standard galactic alphabet and the fact you can walk around on mars with just a football helmet
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Hmmm... was it the first platformer that had open world map?
In super mario, you could only go to certain "points" on the map :p
Anoba
Vortininja

Post by Anoba »

I think all or part of Commander Spleen's outline would be brilliant. I especially like the idea focusing on TUIT since it may well be responsible for the cult like atmosphere here. I mean that in the nicest possible sense. Billy's such a Christ figure here. And I love it!

You might discuss the plausibility of a real Commander Keen and how, if it were real, it might have been. Those new pogo sticks on the market get 7' air. Maybe you could even convince them that you're Commander Keen. Good luck.
Compromising folks drive cars. Wise folks ride bikes and trains. Clever folks ride pogo-sticks.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Kinda like Spleen outlined, I'd definitely talk about the history of Commander Keen (how he came about, why his creation was so signifigant = 1st PC sidescroller for one, and then inspiration for id to make more games) then what the basic plot iof the series is, maybe what each trilogy's basic plot was, along with Keen Dreams (and maybe why they had to make Dreams in the first place?). Finally I would talk about the future of Keen: any games that were made after ep 6 (Keen GBA), info about TUIT (why it can't be made, what you know about it).

I hope that isn't too much.

BTW, when were you assigned this? A week (or shorter) doesn't seem long.
Anoba wrote:Billy's such a Christ figure here. And I love it!
He aint *my* Christ figure.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I like what Spleen and Lava suggest. Depending on your class size (and wallet size) you might even consider distributing keen 4 shareware on discs (I made copies on floppys and passed them around in middle school). Or maybe just brochure type things with pictures and where to download it.
Ditto.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Ceilick wrote:
Ditto.
He's more like a Thor figure to me Image
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Thank you, everyone :D

Lava89: At the exact moment I created this topic, actually. I know it isn't much, but all my teachers seems to have forgotten about me going to school - with alot of different subjects. Not just theirs.

I'm actually holding 2 speeches (One on English, and one on Swedish) but I'll be focusing on the english-speech since it's gonna be about Commander Keen. The other one might be about Scientology or something.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

"Scientology is the belief that about a million years ago, some fellow called Xenu messed around with a bunch of monkeys and invented Darwin. I'd say more, but there's a lawsuit pending, so now, onto Keen...'
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Well, I gave the speech.

To be honest, I improvised the whole thing. But it went well, the teacher didn't notice it. Even though the time-limit was 5minutes I spoke for about 6-7 minutes.
That's to short! It feels like I could go on babbling about Keen forever..
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Awesome that regular kids get a small taste of Keen fandom. Those gregarious weirdos talking about Lord of the Rings and Final Fantasy etc. at all times are totally clueless without exposure to keen :no
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Well at least you took a stab at educating those on Keendom, PC Gaming history by itself is very underrated. We're lucky if kids remember what an Atari is.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Those gregarious weirdos talking about Lord of the Rings
Well I do see what you mean but we'd be actually quite lucky if they'd be talking about LOTR, especially since it's a very old series, was well written to some degrees and is the grandfather of fantasy (even the movies are a few years old). It would be like kids taking about Jules Verne, H.G. Wells or even Isaac Asimov.

Nowadays I see alot of Twlight and Warcraft.