I just mailed iD about giving Tom the Keen rights

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

I just mailed iD about giving Tom the Keen rights

Post by BlueGasMask »

but I seriously doubt they'll listen D:
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

You did your duty, soldier. That's what counts.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Indeed. It'll be interesting to see what kind of reply you get at least.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

Commander Spleen wrote:Indeed. It'll be interesting to see what kind of reply you get at least.
that's if i get any reply: the only email adress is the liscencing to use their engine, which i apologised for emailing something unrelated to.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Good job! :) Let's hope e-mail by e-mail we destroy their defences. Knowing iD, it's likely they don't reply, however.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

KeenRush wrote:Good job! :) Let's hope e-mail by e-mail we destroy their defences. Knowing iD, it's likely they don't reply, however.
Thank you. Let's. I concur.

This is the carptacular email:

NB: I am sorry for using this adress, I have no other way to contact you.

To whom it may concern,

My name is Patrick Smith.

I am one of many fans of Commander Keen. I belong to a large online community of Keeners at the Public Commander Keen Forum.
It is our wishes and a few more people that iD software give Tom Hall the intellectual rights to Commander Keen and all things part of Keen, e.g: Dopefish. We would recommend this as a smart move, considering that iD software has not made any use of Commander Keen whatsoever in over a decade. You may already know that if Tom Hall has the rights to Keen, he will continue with the saga. you will find here a petition requesting the rights go to Tom Hall.

Thank you for your consideration,

Patrick Smith

has anyone got tom's adress?
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

i wrote them 5 times, three times about keen and twice about something completely different just to prove that not only do they never read fan mail...but they don't read mail period
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Perhaps tom aaatttrgarg tomtomtom.com, but don't take my word for it, as my memory is what it is... But you could post a comment on this page of his blog, where he seems to be answering comments:
http://tomtomtom.wordpress.com/about-2/
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

oooooh wierd, maybe will try that
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

[i]tommune Says:

January 26, 2009 at 11:42 pm
I would only do another Keen if I got the rights back, free or not.

Haven’t played Keys of Krodacia…. will try that sometime…..[/i]

aw kewl!!! now we kno he at least knows about krodacia!!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

jonnyspeight wrote:tommune Says:

January 26, 2009 at 11:42 pm
I would only do another Keen if I got the rights back, free or not.

Haven’t played Keys of Krodacia…. will try that sometime…..
Out of all the mods that can be played, Tom wants to play The Keys of Krodacia? Ceilick must be proud! :p
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Syllypryde wrote:Out of all the mods that can be played, Tom wants to play The Keys of Krodacia? Ceilick must be proud! :p
Well, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's particular parade (just trying to be realistic so people look at things in perspective and don't get potentially disappointed) but Keys of Krodacia was the only mod that was asked about or mentioned by someone named Matt Klein (possibly a PCKF since he knows about Keen UO7: KOK).

Source: http://tomtomtom.wordpress.com/about-2/

Matt Klein wrote:
"Mr. Hall, would it be possible for you to just make a new Keen, a sort of franchise reboot in the fashion of the new Bond and Batman films, and them just release them for free online, anonymously? Granted, you’d lose out on the millions of dollars. But, you’d be immortal in the gaming communinty for your bold deed. Indeed, everyone would know it was you, and you would know it was you, but you could deny the whole mess of pancakes to ID or whoever owns Keen right now. Also, did you play the fanmade Keen 7: Keys of Krodacia? Did you like that at all? A Commander Keen story telling on par with Mario RPG and gameplay on par with Zelda, and an epic scope on par with Fable and the like would be a sure way to reinvent the franchise. At least I’d like to think so. You could up the weirdness and make the humor more adult. Not hookers, booze and the like, but just smarter humor. Not that I don’t laugh at some of the old Keen jokes. Last night I inscribed the Standard Galactic Alphabet onto the wall in my basement… You see how I feel about this then, right Tom? Sure, I shot Keen in Doom 2, but I didn’t mean it. Did anyone just quit playing Doom cold turkey at that point? I would applaud them if they did. Quite the restraint. Quite the maturity.
-Matt"

Tom Hall says:
"I would only do another Keen if I got the rights back, free or not.

Haven’t played Keys of Krodacia…. will try that sometime….."

Which BTW, since he replied to a message quite recently, I left a message for Tom Hall and let him know about us, on that same blog post ( http://tomtomtom.wordpress.com/about-2/ ).
Last edited by Lava89 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Lava89 wrote:Well, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's particular parade (just trying to be realistic so people look at things in perspective and don't get potentially disappointed) but Keys of Krodacia was the only mod that was asked about or mentioned by someone named Matt Klein (possibly a PCKF since he knows about Keen UO7: KOK)......
I know what you mean, but I still find it interesting that particular mod was mentioned.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Well I do agree with that, if it's not Cellick himself doing an advertisement, I believe it is a worthy feat for the mod's popularity to go far enough for someone else to mention it to Tom Hall....out of all of the other mods (or even fangames for that matter) that could've been mentioned.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Matt Klein is Anoba.

I'd have kind of mixed feelings about the idea of Tom playing Krodacia, as in my opinion the mod is not really THAT great..