Your Own Keen Music!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Hisymak
Vortininja

Re: Your Own Keen Music!

Post by Hisymak » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:52

Gridlock wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:36
This is really cool! It's a treat to hear new, improved renditions of these themes. I've added this video to the AR soundtrack playlist.
Thank you! I hoped you will get pleased.
Gridlock wrote:
Some of the tracks work better than others, for sure. It seems that switching formats sometimes causes certain instruments to get lost (like the strings in Exile of the Krile), but then other instruments end up sounding a lot better. A few tracks seem especially improved in this format, like The Elder, which was one that I struggled quite a lot with on the instrumentation. And Sky Sanctum, wow, having a better organ instrument adds a lot to the opening of that track.
Well, you are quite right, the instrument volume balance is a bit of issue there. Some instruments are highlighted in my instrument set, and if some instrument sounds too loud, it will mask the other, more quiet instrument, but all instruments are actually playing there. I needed to explicitly adjust volume of a few instruments, which were extremely loud, to keep some balance, but I could not catch all the cases.
Gridlock wrote:
I haven't had a chance to listen to every track intently yet, but I'm really enjoying this. Thank you for taking the time to make these!
Alright, if you get to have any more comments or thoughts, I'd be happy to see them.
Gridlock wrote:
And yeah, I love that terminator text music. Maybe I could actually make use of that in the future.
Not sure if you mean that you would make actual update to the game/mod and adjust/improve the music based on the improved instrument set. You said you're not going to do that, which is perfectly fine.
However, as you are probably working on a completely new game/mod where the music is not yet finalized, I suggest you to take advantage of this. Here I would need to have some talk to K1n9_Duk3, who is author of the MIDI to IMF tool and check the technical possibilities. This instrument set requires more OPL voices, so use of OPL3 would be unavoidable. But as your game is source code mod, it's much more easier to alter the game's musical engine.

Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock » Sat Jan 25, 2020 21:57

Not sure if you mean that you would make actual update to the game/mod and adjust/improve the music based on the improved instrument set. You said you're not going to do that, which is perfectly fine.

However, as you are probably working on a completely new game/mod where the music is not yet finalized, I suggest you to take advantage of this. Here I would need to have some talk to K1n9_Duk3, who is author of the MIDI to IMF tool and check the technical possibilities. This instrument set requires more OPL voices, so use of OPL3 would be unavoidable. But as your game is source code mod, it's much more easier to alter the game's musical engine.
Yeah, I don't plan on updating the music in AR anymore. If I did end up using anything from these tracks, it would be for the sequel. However, if the sequel happens, it'll be something completely different in the Unity engine, not a source code mod. At that point, I can use any modern music format (.ogg, .mp3, .wav, etc). I'm not sure what format these OPL synth tracks are in, though if they can be put in a format without being absurdly huge file sizes, then I could potentially use them. Still mostly hypothetical, though.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086

Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:09

Gridlock wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 21:57
However, if the sequel happens, it'll be something completely different in the Unity engine, not a source code mod.
I was hoping it would be a source code mod (even more advanced) similar to AR, and it would be played through Dosbox like any classic Commander Keen game. But that's rather off-topic for this thread.
Gridlock wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 21:57
At that point, I can use any modern music format (.ogg, .mp3, .wav, etc). I'm not sure what format these OPL synth tracks are in, though if they can be put in a format without being absurdly huge file sizes, then I could potentially use them. Still mostly hypothetical, though.
It could be simply pre-recoded tracks in .ogg format.
The harder option is to synthetize the music on the fly, using similar means I used to create my renditions. That means use a MIDI file + OPL chip emulator (same that is used in Dosbox for example) + MIDI playback engine (which processes MIDI file and sends commands to OPL chip) + instrument patches file (OPL register values for each MIDI instrument). But this is VERY hypothetical option, you see.