Pogo Sticks

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Anoba
Vortininja

Pogo Sticks

Post by Anoba »

I'm really a fan of the standard looking, silver colored, old school pogo sticks. like this one. -> http://www.vaiden.net/vintage_pogo_stick1.jpg
I really want a good friend of mine to buy a pogo stick so that he be the only guy in town in hops to campus, smoking a cigarette, and taking swigs of his whiskey. He's a good guy. And a fine artist.

If anyone has a pogo stick and a little brother (neither of which do I have) could you please get him on the pogo stick in some outdoor settings, preferably woodsy and rocky ones? If you could make these photos for me, I'd like to use them to help illustrate the Keen fiction piece I've been working on. For that matter, any kind of pictures of a Billy looking boy, especially ones that seem to pertain to my story (if youve not read it, I could breifly explain the settings and circumstances to you in a PM). There's okay random pics on the net which is what I've mostly been using, but for Billy I want a more gallant effort put forth.

Feel free to just post back about pogo sticks in general. I think they're a great discussion topic.
Compromising folks drive cars. Wise folks ride bikes and trains. Clever folks ride pogo-sticks.
Anoba
Vortininja

Post by Anoba »

I'm really great at starting a conversation I guess. Here is a pogo-stick myth. One of some popularity I think.

"There is a legend that, 'either George Hansburg or a anonymous German was traveling through Burma when he meet a poor farmer with a daughter named Pogo. Pogo wanted to go to temple every day to pray, but couldn't because she had no shoes to wear for the long walk through the mud and rocks. So the poor farmer built a jumping stick for her, and when George Hansburg or the anonymous German returned home, he made and sold a similar jumping stick of his own.' " (cited below)

I like that. It's a good origins myth. The site goes on to insist that it isn't true, which isn't too surprising but it is too bad. It would probably make a good Christopher Walken movie.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inve ... _stick.htm
Compromising folks drive cars. Wise folks ride bikes and trains. Clever folks ride pogo-sticks.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Pogo sticks are bouncy. That pretty much sums up my thoughts about pogo sticks.

Oh, and they make me think of Commander Keen. :pogo
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

A long time ago, I had a small pogo stick, and i liked Keen so i liked it. It was noisy, and bruised my knees, and when the rubber bottom came off it marked up the patio. But it was cool. I remember my personal record was over 200 jumps before falling off.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

I had a pogo stick back in the day. The "foot" (the bit with the spring coiled around it, whatever that part is called) got bent out of shape though.
Gr1nreaper
Vortininja

Post by Gr1nreaper »

I've wanted a pogo stick for years, but the price seems outrageous, and I'm a bit worried about how difficult it is to ride. I know someone here has one, so perhaps they could enlighten us on how steep the learning curve is, and how many scraped elbows/knees/foreheads, to expect in the process?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I won't get one until you can jump five times your own height with it. 8)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

You can easily do that on Mars; no need for a superpowerful one :crazy
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I'll have to get some photos of my friend's pogo that he built himself. It's pretty chunky and works quite well. Superbly dangerous.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

That myth about the original pogo stick being used as a means of transportation to go to temple is a great tie-in with Commander Keen's "Holy" Pogo stick. :D

And also with the pic of Pogo-Pope in CK10YO.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hey, yeah! I wonder if the iD team knew about that myth.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Toomuchsparetime wrote: And also with the pic of Pogo-Pope in CK10YO.
What is that? A mod?
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

MortimerInBlack wrote:
Toomuchsparetime wrote: And also with the pic of Pogo-Pope in CK10YO.
What is that? A mod?
Commander Keen: 10 Years On

(Btw, I actually had never read through the entire thing until a few days ago... :p )
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I had a pogo stick once, second hand, and a skateboard. Both I never really learned to do anything with, a few injuries was enough to deter me. (Even the Bloogs do not fear me.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.