Keen Fansites: What do you want to see?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Keen Fansites: What do you want to see?

Post by entropicdecay »

So I noticed in another thread that people didn't seem to think there were any (or at least many) active Commander Keen fansites running at the moment. That got me considering making my own, so I thought I'd ask: what would you like to see in a Commander Keen fansite? Ideas include hosting fan art, mod lists (ideally with screenshots), of course information on the games, but does anyone have any ideas of their own or suggestions?

One thing I'd be interested in (although not able to create on my own without information from other people) would be a history of the Public Commander Keen Forum, the Keen Wiki has one somewhat but I was thinking of a more complete one, with maybe information about what people remember were common/significant topics, something about Shocksund, the date of the ezBoard crash, etc. It's just an idea, might not interest anyone else though, and maybe nobody remembers well enough...

Anyway, there's always the problem of ending up as near-identical to other fansites, but if there really aren't many other active ones that might not be such a problem.

Although it's possible that the wiki fulfils most of the need for information on the games...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Well, I'll, once I get it done (or started), will have a new Keen site (as you might have noticed keengrid.net is gone now (hmmm, at least it should be!)) that will have my mod list with screenshots (The Garg's Mod Maze), and some other stuff. I don't exactly know what I'd like to see, so I'll just say that anything that is different from other sites, all kinds of 'weird' stuff.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

I think it's difficult to create a website that caters to what other people want - it'd be easier to create a website with things that *you* want. If you can't think of anything that you'd want (that doesn't already fit on another site, e.g. you could update the wiki's PCKF page if you think it's incomplete) then there's probably no need for another site.

At the end of the day, you have to be happy if there's a minimal response from the community - the modders get annoyed when they release a mod and there's hardly any response, so you'd have to be able to cope with the same lack of response for a web page. If you're creating the page because you want to then that's not a problem, but if you're creating it for the community then you might be a bit frustrated when nobody visits it :-)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I think we're all set with CC314, BtP, PCKF, K:M, and TGMM when KR gets it back up. LOL so many ABBR.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Malvineous wrote:At the end of the day, you have to be happy if there's a minimal response from the community - the modders get annoyed when they release a mod and there's hardly any response, so you'd have to be able to cope with the same lack of response for a web page. If you're creating the page because you want to then that's not a problem, but if you're creating it for the community then you might be a bit frustrated when nobody visits it :-)
You have a good point. Well, I don't think I'm quite motivated enough at the moment to create a fansite if nobody seems to be interested, but maybe in the future I'll create one out of my appreciation for the games, even if it's maybe just a small site or something. I see what you're saying, maybe it's better to create fansite purely out of a wish to express your appreciation for something.

Well, I'll have to think about it. If I come up with something I particularly want to put on a Keen fansite, maybe I'll make one. I don't know.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

I misread this topic's title as "Keen Fantasies: What do you want to see"...

:freud
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Toomuchsparetime wrote:I misread this topic's title as "Keen Fantasies: What do you want to see"...

:freud
:drool Lindsey :drool

LOL, seriously though that's what I read for a second too. Gutter minds think alike.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

This way for hot yiffin' Vorticon action!
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Toomuchsparetime wrote:This way for hot yiffin' Vorticon action!
:O Careful! You'll invoke the wrath of Rule 34!