Remember the video of Bobby Prince singing Eat Your Veggies?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Remember the video of Bobby Prince singing Eat Your Veggies?

Post by Sciz CT »

This one, that Joe Siegler posted years ago?

It turns out that he just dug up the original VHS it was on and gave it to John Romero, who promptly recorded and uploaded the entire thing.

It mostly shows off Romero playing a near-release build of DOOM, but there's a fair bit of footage of the id offices and Prince demoing more music as well.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I remember that video. I'll have to watch the new and improved version you just posted sometime later ;)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Bobby / Robert :"This did go in to Keen... foower....... yeah, four or fieeeve."

Other Guy: "Five, (the) Aliens ate my Babysitter."

I guess that answers that.

That was a long video, a little over half an hour. I almost stopped watching it when Bobby was talking but I'm glad I didn't.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

:drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

YES I KNEW IT! :crazy

I knew K6 was originally fifth (or at least adjacent to K4 some way). Ever notice how they are similar from a programming standpoint? E.g., the texture from the F10+Y cheat is the same.

Hehe, never knew Prince sounded so southern. Well this is certainly awsome. My question is, who is Linton, the camera man? because he's the one that said "5, aliens ate my babysitter." He sounded a bit uncertain to me. And man how i'd kill for that kinda job back then.

Darn it's not on youtube. Now im paranoid that eventually it will disappear from the website. :dead
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I don't trust them as a reliable source for the order of the episodes. This was in 1993 - AFTER Keen 4-6 had been released, so it's not like they were still making the games. It could've just been because they didn't specifically remember which order they were in.
...Although I don't doubt that Keen 6 was originally Keen 5, I'm just saying that this isn't really proof.

I noticed how BP said that the version he was playing of YGTEYV was the MIDI version, but it sounded a lot like the original Adlib one. So much for "better instruments." :p
MortimerInBlack wrote:Darn it's not on youtube. Now im paranoid that eventually it will disappear from the website. :dead
I made a copy of the video file. I'll try and post it on YouTube tomorrow. :)
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

okay so if keen 6 is actually keen 5...where's the logic in that??? :confused
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

An interesting bit of 'info'.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Genius314 wrote:I noticed how BP said that the version he was playing of YGTEYV was the MIDI version, but it sounded a lot like the original Adlib one. So much for "better instruments." :p
It could just be the poor audio quality of the camera.
jonnyspeight wrote:okay so if keen 6 is actually keen 5...where's the logic in that??? Confused
Lol. check it out on 3drealms keen history article. The very least that we know, is that 5 was made last.

U know, i have never played doom at all. After watching that funny video, i have to play it now.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

I thought it was common knowledge that keen 6 was made before 5.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

MortimerInBlack wrote:U know, i have never played doom at all. After watching that funny video, i have to play it now.
Yeah, me too. The game looks a lot more impressive than I thought it was (well, for that time, anyway).

It's actually funny to see how amazed they were by the game back then. To think how far games have come now...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

You mean you people who were bashing ID for dropping Keen in favor of Doom never even played it? I don't exactly know if you're these same people so try not to be offended if I gave you a false accusation. But really, you should give Doom a try. It's quite fun :dopekeen

At least the first game is. The second one drops into nonsensical stupidity :stoned
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

You can't understate just how far ahead of the pack DOOM was compared to everything else in that day and age. Ultima Underworld beat it to the punch in several regards, but DOOM could run on far more machines and was the faster, more intense game.

Plus it's just plain fun. In some respects, it's the FPS equivalent of Keen; most levels are as much about navigating the environment, collecting colored keycards, and locating secret areas as they are about dealing with the enemy hordes. And if you play Chex Quest, you even get the kid-friendly presentation. ;)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Wow, thanks for posting that. I actually got the CD in my cereal but had a macintosh at the time :(
Now that I know what the game is called I can finally see what I missed! =D
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I've never bashed the original Doom. It's always looked cool, I've just never played it.
I only bashed the sequels because they abandoned Keen for them. (And honestly, I wouldn't care if they had abandoned Keen after TUIT. I'd be fine with them making tons of Doom sequels, as long as they had just finished Keens 7-9 first.)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Doom is a really awesome game, and pretty much ties with Commander Keen as my favorite game of all time. I never felt the sort of bitterness some Keeners feel about Doom overtaking Keen as id's priority, though it still would have been nice if they hadn't shelved TUIT altogether. I can't pretend that isn't disappointing.