Keen Awards 2019: Nominations

See the 2023 Keen Awards winners!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Re: Keen Awards 2019

Post by Grandy02 »

Thanks, Nisaba! I added your new entries to the list.

Thanks to Roobar for the detailed post, too! At the moment, though, those are only nominations, which form the basis for the later polls (example: the 2002 polls). Would it be okay if I added your first entry of each category to the nominees, in addition to those already added?

Special thanks for the "Keenest Person" nomination to both of you. Your appreciation for my efforts makes me feel like a winner. :)

Whenever the nominations end, a new subforum would be necessary so that Other Keen Stuff won't be cluttered with the polls. I might ask Fleexy about it, but I'm not sure whether there is already enough activity to convince him. :rolleyes
It's too bad that there is currently no admin who regularly takes part in this forum's discussions. During the discussion that lead to the first Keen Awards, KeenRush suggested a seperate section for them and less than 24 hours later, Flaose created it and started the nominations based on TMST's list of categories. At least one admin was generally involved in the Keen Awards process.
Roobar wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:42 And the third reason was that someone that's not nominated or may not receive an award may feel upset or offended or something.
If someone absolutely wanted to be on the list, that member just nominated themselves then. ;) Of course, people might be disappointed if they don't win, as with any competition. But I'm not aware that someone became really upset. KeenRush, for example, was always nominated in multiple categories but never won, yet it didn't stop him from Keening. :D Also, I think the community is more mature today.
proYorp wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 21:10 I've been writing up a list of my own nominations, haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, I've really been meaning to.... :dead2
I'm looking forward to it. :)
Roobar wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:42 // Side note: there was also a mod called Sunstriker Mods "Fireblaze: Curse of the Dragonlords" by a member outside of this forum, which was cool, but it appears that the mod and the author have been removed from moddb.com. Also, I don't see this mod on keen wiki as well. Probably nobody added it back then when it was posted here.
It's here.
Roobar wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:42 (beta's count right?)
I don't see why not. Interestingly, the previous winners in the fangame category were all demo versions.
Roobar wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:42 🥈On-line Commander Keen 4 music player (I don't know who made this, who choose the songs and when, but the skin can be downloaded from here: https://t.co/tIV75zcFbw?amp=1)
According to the README.TXT, the skin was made by Stillwater in 2004. :old
Roobar wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:42 3.3: Forum Crew Recognition - I don't even know what this award is for.
The category was originally called "Online Community Service Recognition" and described as "for those hardworking moderators, website-owners, etc etc etc". It was changed to "Forum Crew Recognition" for the last Keen Awards. I've changed it back to "Online Community Service Recognition" now, since the other name implied that it is only related to forum staff.
Roobar wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:42 // Side note: I don't know if Suburb Shenanigans counts since it got updated this year? Clearly there were a lot of cool levels in it as well.
I'm also not 100% sure about the updates in general. What kind of update qualifies a work for nomination in a new year? If it's not only typo correction or something, just go for it, I'd say. Too many rules could kill the Keen Awards.
Roobar wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:42 // Side note: Commander Spleen made mods running in web browser, but I think it's not something from this year and I don't know a link. Maybe you've updated it? I don't really know, but I'm curious to know.
https://jimage.org/keen/mods/ - I don't know whether there was an addition last year, though.
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 0:39 1.5 Best Tool
uGrab wasn't actually released to the public in 2019, so I guess I can't nominate that, right? For all I know, only Nisaba and I had access to it in 2019...
I think so. Hopefully there will be Keen Awards 2020 in the future. Anyway, thanks for your helpful lists. :)
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 0:39 Do these nominations automatically count as our votes or is this just about creating a pool of cadidates for now?
The latter, at least that's how it was done for the 2002-2004 awards. I thought since it worked that way back then, it can also work today. Or do you think it should be done otherwise?
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Grandy02 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 17:28 [...] Or do you think it should be done otherwise?
No. I think voting with a dedicated poll is the way to go. I hope that this will make it easier for people to participate, since they can just vote with a few clicks instead of having to type a message.

Okay then, I would like to nominate the following, in addition to what's already been nominated by others:

1.1 Planet of the Pandas
1.2 Atroxian Realm - mainly because of the list of remaining items in the level that was added in version 1.2

3.3 Malvineous

4.1 Nisaba
4.2 Discovering that the jump height in Keen 1-3 depends on the CPU speed and that all of the lolipops in Keen 1 Level 4 can be collected.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

All right, I added your nominations and the remaining ones by Roobar (hope it's okay that way).
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 22:25 No. I think voting with a dedicated poll is the way to go. I hope that this will make it easier for people to participate, since they can just vote with a few clicks instead of having to type a message.
I agree.
Who gets the credit for it? NY00123 and you, if I'm not mistaken?
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

NY00123's video was uploaded two months before that thread was started, so I'd say he should get the credit. After all, he created the "Chocolate Keen" port of Keen 1-3, so he might have been aware of the jump height being related to CPU speed long before I stumbled across it.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

First off, I just want to say I think it's a really neat idea to bring the Keen Awards back. It looked like such a fun community project. I think I've said this before, but it's been great to see so many things from Ye Olden Days of PCKF revived, and also to get to experience them first-hand. I've thought before that it was a shame Keen Awards wasn't longer-lived. Now we just need to bring back the Commander Keen Newsletter and we'll be all set! :lol
I hope there will be another Keen Awards in 2020. There are already a few things I have my eye on for nominations, plus if it's planned ahead of time it'll be easier to take notice of things to nominate as they come out instead of having to go back to figure out what was released when. Plus 30th Anniversary hype.

Anyway, here's all the nominations I was able to come up with.

1: Programming
1.1: Best Vorticon Mod (incl. level packs)
The Mortrix by Quillax

1.2: Best Galaxy/Dreams Mod
Bounty Hunting Brouhaha by Kohntarkosz_

2: Fan Art
2.2: Best Narrative (fanfic, story of a fangame/mod/comic etc.)
Bounty Hunting Brouhaha by Kohntarkosz_

2.3: Best Music (e.g. an individual remix or the soundtrack of a work)
There were a couple I really enjoyed (what exactly is the rule on multiple nominations per person?)
troublesomekeen - Too Hot to Handel
https://youtu.be/4CVMKEc4wuM
kvee - Almost Out of Breath
https://youtu.be/9fTBFq7Ap38

2.4: Best Animation
I'm not aware of any full-on animations released in 2019. I imagine this was a lot bigger of a category in the old Keen Awards when Ilsoap and TMST were both active.

2.5: Best Non-Computerized Art (pencil drawing, sculpture, cosplay etc.)
This was actually published in 2015, but Quillax found and posted it here in 2019 and I just think it's really cool.
Commander Keen felt model by ToodlesTeam

2.6: Best Gameplay Video (speedruns, playthroughs etc.)
This is a whole series and not a single video, but this guy GhostLPs did a playthrough of both episodes of Goodbye, Galaxy and it’s pretty entertaining. Seems like it’s his first time playing so it’s cool to see a new player’s reaction to everything.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AEF-9ee8HJ

3: Web
3.2: Best Online Entertainment (e.g. games with online support and browser games)
Chocolate Keen for Browser by jamesfmackenzie

3.3: Forum Crew Recognition
The most active moderators on PCKF in 2019 were Keening_Product and Fleexy.
Certainly Fleexy has done a lot for the forums since becoming admin, keeping the forum software up to date and dealing with any major issues that arise (such as the spambot invasion last year). He deserves a nomination.

4: Miscellaneous
4.1: Keenest Person of the Year
Without hesitation I would have to say Grandy02. Since becoming active again, they've recovered and archived several old threads from the previous forums and tracked down several lost fan games and mods (I'm all about that historical preservation), and even gotten in contact with Keeners that haven't been around in years. Plus bringing back Keen Awards. First name I thought of.

4.3: Most Promising Project
The Prisoner's Dilemma by Kohntarkosz_

Well it looks like a lot of these nominations are redundant by now. :p

Re: Voting: I would agree that having dedicated polls for each category would drastically increase participation. That would be so many threads though....
I wonder how easy it is to move threads to a different subforum. If it's not too fiddly, maybe all the voting threads could be retroactively moved to a new subforum if Keen Awards really takes off.
Or maybe some kind of external polling site could be used? (I think there's something called Strawpoll which can be voted in without registering.) Of course there's no guarantee of the longevity of those, so maybe that's not the best idea.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Nice to see this going! Hopefully this will become a success! In addition to the list of nominations, here's what I'd like to add (please note that I haven't played much of the newest mods):

1.4 Best Level: Level 13 from Planet of the Pandas by proYorp

2.1 Best Graphical Artwork: Redrawn Keen 1 sprites by aintnofuntime
2.2 Best Narrative: The Commander by Dean Smyth
2.3 Best Music: Too Hot to Handle by troublesomekeen
2.4 Best Animation: Yeah, I second all of what proYorp said about this. I do want to point out, though, that the Dabbing Shikadi animation is actually a dancing Shikadi gif posted on 2012: viewtopic.php?p=54470#p54470
2.5 Best Non-Computerized Art: Keen Meets Mario at Fribbulus Xax by Quillax (nothing else I can really think of, but I am proud of the joke behind this one)

3.1 Best Website: Quillax Ship by... me? I don't know if personal websites count, but there's nothing else I can really think of. All the Keen content I have added last year is The Mortrix, concept art, a 5th anniversary tribute drawing for the ROM trilogy, and maybe Quillax's Experiment (don't know if that can be considered as a Keen fangame).
3.3 Online Community Service Recognition: Fleexy

4.1 Keenest Person of the Year: K1n9_Duk3
4.2 Really Keen Stuff: Finding the potential origin behind Keen's death animation from Keen 1-3
4.3 Most Promising Project: Keen 4 levels from WolfenDoom - Blade of Agony by Tormentor667 and DoomJedi (correct?)

I agree with what proYorp said on bringing back all the old stuff from the Keen community! The Keen Awards always seemed so cool, and now it's coming back! As Benvolio said earlier, it'd be cool if getting all this stuff back leads to more really keen stuff from people! The Keen community seemed to have so much back then, in terms of quantity and variety of the stuff posted (there were many Keen projects that aren't even mods or fangames!).

Any idea on when will we stop nominating and then start voting? I think that would be really good for all of us to know.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Thanks for your nominations, proYorp and Quillax. And again, it's nice to read that you like the recovered old Keen stuff. :)
proYorp wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:41 2.3: Best Music (e.g. an individual remix or the soundtrack of a work)
There were a couple I really enjoyed (what exactly is the rule on multiple nominations per person?)
troublesomekeen - Too Hot to Handel
https://youtu.be/4CVMKEc4wuM
kvee - Almost Out of Breath
https://youtu.be/9fTBFq7Ap38
Flaose stated "Please only nominate one person (or program, website, etc.) for each catagory." in 2002. But since troublesomekeen's work is also nominated by Quiallax, I added the second one as your nomination, anyway. :D
proYorp wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:41 2.5: Best Non-Computerized Art (pencil drawing, sculpture, cosplay etc.)
This was actually published in 2015, but Quillax found and posted it here in 2019 and I just think it's really cool.
Commander Keen felt model by ToodlesTeam
I fear that it can't be count, but if there are "Best of the 2010s" nominations one day, it would definitely be a valid candidate.
Quillax wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 2.4 Best Animation: Yeah, I second all of what proYorp said about this. I do want to point out, though, that the Dabbing Shikadi animation is actually a dancing Shikadi gif posted on 2012: viewtopic.php?p=54470#p54470
Thanks for pointing that out, I removed it from the list. Well, "Best Animation" was also left out for the 2004 awards.
Quillax wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 Any idea on when will we stop nominating and then start voting? I think that would be really good for all of us to know.
I'll soon ask Fleexy what he thinks about a Keen Awards forum and then set a deadline for the nominations.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I think we should have a "best official Keen product" category after seeing three whole product releases in 2019.

4.4 Best Official Keen Product
[1]Commander Keen T-Shirt
[2]The enhanced port of Keen Dreams for Switch
[3]Commander Keen mobile
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

The nominations will end on February 29. It would be cool if one or two more Keeners joined until then. Hopefully Fleexy will reply soon.
The 2004 nominations thread (most of it) can be viewed now, too.

Here's my list with some additions. I might add nominees in more categories later. EDIT: Two entries added.

1.2: Best Galaxy/Dreams Mod:
- Keen Dreams 2: Another Helping of Veggies by Szemi

1.4: Best Level
- White Carrot Path from Keen Dreams 2: Another Helping of Veggies by Szemi (the door-pushing Carrots were a very nice surprise for me)

2.3: Best Music
- "Goodbye summer, Hello winter 'Spooky' Remix" by Waterflame from "Guardian Post 1" level in Planet Cloudius IX by Roobar

3.2: Best Online Entertainment
- Commander Keen mods at Jimage by Commander Spleen (he told me that his own mods were added last year)

3.3: Online Community Service Recognition
- KeenRush. When I had to reset my password after my absence, I wrote to KeenRush since I didn't receive a mail, and he quickly solved my problem for both the PCKF and K:M.

4.1: Keenest Person of the Year
- Quillax. He was of great help regarding the documentation of the rediscovered level packs in the KeenWiki, and has made many valuable contributions to the wiki in general.

4.3: Most Promising Project
- Commander Keen Remastered by Kajuby

Regarding category 3.1 Best Website, the KeenWiki is one of the most active Keen sites, of course. But I fear that we'll have the same winner every year then. :dopekeen What do you think?

Also, since the Galaxy playthrough by GhostLPs has also been nominated by proYorp, I added Roobar's other entry in category 2.6.
RoboBlue wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 18:40 I think we should have a "best official Keen product" category after seeing three whole product releases in 2019.

4.4 Best Official Keen Product
[1]Commander Keen T-Shirt
[2]The enhanced port of Keen Dreams for Switch
[3]Commander Keen mobile
Thanks for the suggestion. It's probably okay to skip nominations for them due to the low number of options.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Nominations are over. Thanks to everyone who participated! :) Except for "Best Animation", there are at least two entries in each category. Fleexy read my message, but has not answered yet. As I don't really want to flood Other Keen Stuff with the polls, I'd rather wait for his reply.

By the way, Lava89 thinks it's awesome that his Yorp trophy is used, which was originally made for the Keen Awards 2007 that never took place. We might even get new trophies, but I can't promise anything at the moment.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I love the Keen Awards! Congratulations! I was brainstorming a bit and realize there's not enough years of Keen to honor all our keeniest without all the categories and runner ups :p

Code: Select all

2002 Xky Rauh - Keen X
	KeenRush - Yorpius II
2003 Flaose - Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement
2004 Levellord - Patchwork Mod I
2005 CK Guy...
	Allstories - A Very Keen Christmas
2006 Ceilick - The Keys of Krodacia
2007 Levellass - Zoltan's Revenge Mini Mod
2008 Tulip - Onward: Silcar 1: Nightmare Before Teatime
2009 Lava89 - Commander Keen 64 Demo
	szemigi - The Grand Intellect: Fathership Revenge
2010 StupidBunny - Clouds Unseen
	Mink - Mink's Puzzle Pack
2011 lemm - NetKeen
	VikingBoyBilly - Bananasauros
2012 NY00123 - Chocolate Keen
	gerstrong - Commander Genius (Ver 1.0 Release)
2013 DrColossus - The Terror from Outer Space
	Bernie - Episode 58 - The Ruin of Roib
2014 Fleexy - Abiathar
	Grandy - Save Spot!
2015 Quinton - The Morticore
2016 Gridlock - Atroxian Realm (Ver 1.2 Release)
2017 Nisaba - Foray in the Forest (demo)
2018 Bubbatom - Suburb Shenanigans
2019 Roobar - Planet Cloudius IX
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I thought that was the voting, but is was nominations? OK then, I think the polls and the actual voting must go live now and end up 1 day before 314 because some of the most promising projects from the polls may be released on 314, thus making them no longer upcoming (I know that the chance is low, but still).
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Roobar wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:09 [...] I think the polls and the actual voting must go live now and end up 1 day before 314 because some of the most promising projects from the polls may be released on 314, thus making them no longer upcoming (I know that the chance is low, but still).
true, true
out now (link) : Image
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

I see your point. If I receive no reply by Monday evening, I'll just create the polls.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Okay, it's done. For the moment, all the polls are found under Other Keen Stuff, hopefully an admin will move them to a dedicated forum soon (I also wrote to KeenRush).
Voting will end on Keen Day, around 12:00 (UTC), so that people in all time zones have the chance to vote on March 13. Have fun! :)