Keen Awards 2019: Winners

See the 2023 Keen Awards winners!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Keen Awards 2019: Winners

Post by Grandy02 »

Happy Keen Day! Congratulations to the winners of the Keen Awards 2019! Thanks to everyone who participated, and very special thanks to Lava89 for the neat trophies. :)

1: Programming
1.1: Best Vorticon Mod
The Mortrix by Quillax
Trophy Link
1.2: Best Galaxy/Dreams Mod
Atroxian Realm v.1.3 by Gridlock
Trophy Link
1.3: Best Fangame
Planet Cloudius IX by Roobar
Trophy Link
1.4: Best Level
Cell Block Alpha (Level 01) from The Prisoner's Dilemma by Kohntarkosz_
Trophy Link
1.5: Best Tool
Customized Screen Update Code by K1n9_Duk3
Trophy Link

2: Fan Art
2.1: Best Graphical Artwork
Redrawn Keen 1 sprites by aintnofuntime
Trophy Link
2.2: Best Narrative
The Commander by Dean Smyth
Trophy Link
2.3: Best Music
Too Hot To Handle by troublesomekeen
Trophy Link
2.5: Best Non-Computerized Art
Yorp and Garg cosplay by Computing History visitors
Trophy Link
2.6: Best Gameplay Video
Paul's Gaming - Commander Keen mods playthroughs by Piece of Pie Software
Trophy Link

3: Web
3.1: Best Website
Quillax Ship by Quillax
Trophy Link
3.2: Best Online Entertainment
Chocolate Keen in WebAssembly by James Mackenzie
Trophy Link
3.3: Online Community Service Recognition
Fleexy
Trophy

4: Miscellaneous
4.1: Keenest Person of the Year
Nisaba
Trophy
4.2: Really Keen Stuff
Discovering that the jump height in Keen 1-3 depends on the CPU speed and that all of the lollipops in Keen 1 Level 4 can be collected. - by NY00123
Trophy Link
4.3: Most Promising Project
Keen 4 levels from WolfenDoom - Blade of Agony by the Realm667 team (incl. Tormentor667, DoomJedi, Ozymandias81, Afadoomer, Nisaba, Crimson)
Trophy Link
4.4 Best Official Keen Product
Nintendo Switch port of Keen Dreams by Lone Wolf Technology
Trophy Link

-----

More about the trophies in Lava89's thread, including an image of the four main trophies with transparent background.
The first trophy images I had received from Lava89 can be viewed here: Yorp, Dopefish, Pogo, BwB.
Last edited by Grandy02 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 22:03, edited 2 times in total.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen Awards 2019: Winners

Post by Roobar »

:eek Oh wow! I love these trophies! Probably the pogo is my favorite!
Ozymandias81
Vortininja

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Wow this feels great already, thanks a bunch for the award :love
But also many thanks to this community and specially to Nisaba which totally deserve the Keenest Person of the Year, his contribute is golden!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Cheers! Bravo! Well-deserved! Some voting choices were quite difficult; I was quite torn on some of the polls!
Never did I expect to win anything! What a long shot! I am unworthy, truly (and I adore kvee's entry which is much gooder).
But this year I'm gunning to win all the awards. :mort
Thanks, Grandy
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Thank you so much, this is neat! :D
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Yay! Congrats to all the winners! :birthday

Some of those categories were tied for quite a while. Looks like someone went through at the last minute and broke them all (the ties, that is).

Are the non-PCKF winners going to be sent their trophies somehow?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

proYorp wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 20:13 [...] Are the non-PCKF winners going to be sent their trophies somehow?
fantastic! these trophies are marvellous! what an excellent design. well done!
we absolutely need the STL files, 3d-print them all with individual inscriptions and send every winner a copy...

also:
thanks dearest community for your votes. I'm really flattered to win this award. I'm at a loss for words... I think I'm ought to say something like... well... I dedicate this trophy to all you Keeners who keep me going. it's just your dedication, support, astonishing skill and fine humour that inspired me throughout this year. and I'm tellin' ya'll: just wait for next year to come. it's gonna be big! and you all gonna love it, I promise. have something really keen up my sleeves...

also shout-outs to K1n9_Duk3. You did some real crazy things this year. you've set some milestones that changed the game entirely. also a lot of your superb work happend in the background. for quite a number of community members you shared your knowledge and skills off screen, which also deserves recognition! so, kudos to you!

and special thanks to Grandy02 for reactivating the Keen Awards. what a neat idea, plus polling is so much fun. I'm excited what the next Keen year will bring
Last edited by Nisaba on Sat Mar 14, 2020 21:12, edited 3 times in total.
out now (link) : Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Nisaba wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 20:45 just wait for next year to come.
Whaat? I thought and I was sure you were gonna release it this year on this very day!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Roobar wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 20:55 Whaat? I thought and I was sure you were gonna release it this year on this very day!
naa, don't get greedy! We received Bubbatoms exquisite Operation Ocflore for this year. And we waited years and years for this fine and highly praised mod. So, one major release at the time I'd say.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Ooooh... I won a Keen award for "Best Tool". I totally wasn't expecting that, especially given the competition. :crazy

Seriously though, my thanks go out to everyone who voted for me. Especially in the "Keenest Person of the Year" category.
Nisaba wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 20:45also shout-outs to K1n9_Duk3. You did some real crazy things this year. you've set some milestones that changed the game entirely. also a lot of your superb work happend in the background.
You ain't seen nothing yet. :p
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 22:54 You ain't seen nothing yet. :p
thought so... you're crazy, baby!
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Very cool! This was a fun idea, special thanks to Grandy02 for organizing this. Congrats to all the winners!
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

First of all I want to thank anyone who voted for Blade of Agony‘s Keen levels. It’s quite special for us to be even nominated here at the Kern forums with a game based on the Doom engine.

Next to that, I want to thank Nisaba for his tremendous sprite work. It’s actually a strange feeling to see that his mod got second place in the same category. I hope you still feel like a winner - it is also your award, not only ours!

Also a big thanks to Grandy for organizing the awards, it’s awesome to see that this community is still alive. Great work also on the trophies - we already know where to put this ingame as an Easter egg :)

Keep on Keenin‘

DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Voyage to Veota
What is it?
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Thank you for the kind words, you are awesome. Also, thanks to those who voted for me, and congratulations to Nisaba, you truly deserve the title. :)

Lava89 is working on the final trophy images. The text on a plaque was too small, so the winner's name will be written next to the statue instead, but he still adds a unique detail to each category's trophy.

I had hoped for more nominees in certain categories and more votes, but nevertheless, it's a great (re)start, especially when considering the event's extremely long hiatus.

I definitely would like to organise a Best of the 2010s event at a later point, as suggested by K1n9_Duk3. There should be plenty of nominees in most categories (up to 15 options are possible by default), so there could be up to three votes per category (and previously, up to three nominations) and gold, silver and bronze awards.

If the Martian pair of category 2.5 is reading this, please join us and tell the names that can be used in place of "Computing History visitors". :spot
Nisaba wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 20:45 we absolutely need the STL files, 3d-print them all with individual inscriptions and send every winner a copy...
Hehe, there was the following conversation in the final Keen Awards 2004 thread: :D
Levellord wrote:I don't see why thats not possible; its the mailing to the winners thats the problem
KeenRush wrote:Yeah, the shipping and handling would cost totally like $250 or more to get those sent. Not to mention someone would have to spend 50-100 hours making them. :p (And buy the material (none other than 24 carat gold isn't good for them).)
I might ask Lava89 whether he would give out the source files for the trophies, so one could at least print out a trophy for themselves.

Now that the voting is over, the polls and the other related threads should be moved to a subforum, but I have not yet received a reply from Fleexy or KeenRush.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net