Keen dreams.

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

I just had another dream two nights ago. I was watching a video of some sort of Galaxy mod that combined several different Galaxy-based games. For example, the Dopefish was there, but it was on a spring. When Keen pogoed on it, the Dopefish would shrink for a short time. I also remember Keen falling down a shaft with cybloogs or something similar in small rooms on the left side. When he reached the bottom, he had to run to stay ahead of the bottom creature and its shots.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I just had a Word Rescue dream. It was the first level, and I was wandering around looking for an image. A gruzzle appeared to my left, and I Spaced at it, but the slime appeared behind me on top of something I didn't even realise was there to begin with.

My sprite soon turned into a red question mark. There was a section of tiles that looked like a small hill, except it was made of water. I was now on the right-hand side of the level, and the four images there didn't match up with the word I was looking for. So I headed back to the left, but mis-jumped over a lava pit (all the water pits were red now)..

The lava didn't actually hurt me, and instead I was skiing across it. I assumed this was some extra-easy difficulty setting. I was using a Sega Mega Drive controller, and was pressing the three buttons in different combinations trying to escape the pit. Then I pressed down and entered a secret area full of simple flat platforms with a red background, with lions sitting on the left and right sides of the screen. The dream ended after I jumped around for a bit.

Then it went onto cleaning out my shed and carrying a 30" speaker through a bunch of empty paddocks to a mansion, where I found some handheld gaming devices to play with.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Nice one.

Were you the character or were you controlling the game at a TV/PC in this dream?

Because if you were your sprite that'd be all the more awesome.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

I was definitely detached from the character, and I'm pretty sure I remember being acutely aware of using a game controller the whole time.

The handheld devices were a pretty intriguing theme throughout the preceding dreams. There was one that was like a walkman that took VHS tapes, and was kind of meant to be something like a Sega Game Gear. I don't remember what the one in the mansion was, but I'm pretty sure it was nice and weird.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Commander Spleen wrote:a walkman that took VHS tapes
Whatsayyou that after I've finished off this semester of Uni (not long) and you have spare time we make this device reality?
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Or play NetKeen over LAN. Whichever turns out to be more practical.

<Ceilick> LRN2IRC
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Forget that, let's build some Neural Stunners! :mortlol
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

thehackercat wrote:Forget that, let's build some Neural Stunners! :mortlol
Come to Australia and it's a deal.

LanKeen sounds a edal.

I totally meant edal.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

thehackercat wrote:Forget that, let's build some Neural Stunners! :mortlol
Tasers + special effects?
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Deltamatic wrote:Tasers + special effects?
Well, I suppose a neuro-muscular stunner would be more affordable.

We'd need some kind of device such as this: http://www.taser.com/products/military/taser-xrep

I doubt today's devices could create a ball of self-contained energy, much less one strong enough to incapacitate an Arachnut.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

I totally just played Mink and VBB's cooperative NetKeen mod, even though I've never played it before and have only heard about it here.

The map was huge and sprawling. One area had a lot of 2x2-tile fenced of fields. Nearby were some maze-like ruins (but mostly also configured in 2x2 blocks). I think they led up a hill toward a large monument, but I didn't manage to complete any levels to find out.

One level went to another section of the map, or another map. More 2x2 level entry points, including a couple of towns and a prison. The prison went to another map area which was actually a big movie set.

I did play a number of actual levels, with levellass as the other player. The main one I remember was a long hallway with the lights turned off. I tried flicking a switch to turn them on, but nothing happened so it must have been for a bridge or something.

We played a few other levels, but I don't quite remember them :( They were most vivid at the time though. In the end, we quit because neither of us really felt like playing games at the time. So lame.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Are you sure this wasn't a dream?
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

lemm wrote:Are you sure this wasn't a dream?
Lemm totally has a teleporter.