Keen dreams.

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Keen dreams.

Post by Deltamatic »

Today I dreamed a Keen dream.
I had just landed on the surface of Mars at the outset of the dream, though at first it looked more like Gnosticus IV. A lightening storm was brewing, but it completely missed the landing site. I mentioned Vorticon battleships to some friends of mine that had landed with me, and how their computer readouts wouldn't be in English but rather long sequences on monitors or printouts of SGA. [I know SGA isn't a language, but hey, I was dreaming.] Then one of them produced a long folded-up roll of paper with SGA all over it, and we assumed it must be a battleship printout.
So we went to a nearby Martian building for reasons I fail to remember, and there was a shiny floor and a desk over to the left with a large glass sheet extending almost down to the top of the desk. One of my friends [who was holding the sheet of SGA] commented that we'd better give the sheet to the U.S.S.R.
After pondering this for a moment and coming to the realization that Soviets could not have significant activity on the Red Planet, I decided that the friend must have been using mid-20th Century Russia as an analogy relating to the iron-fisted rule of the Vorticons under the Grand Intellect. By the time I was done thinking that the friend had already passed it under the glass, where it was taken for examination.
I announced that they would probably think us spies who stole the SGA printout and that because of this face our troupe should make for the back door as quickly as possible. Following "Exit" signs [strangely in the normal alphabet], we arrived at what appeared to be a garden supply store [complete with strangely Terran plants]. There was a [large, iron, possibly locked] back door, but fortunately some [strangely human] workers opened it from the outside as they came in with a cartload of something. As it was slowly spinning back into its original position [it had a rotation shaft in the center instead of hinges on either side], we made our escape and I woke up.

Have you guys ever had any dreams with material from the Keeniverse?
Last edited by Deltamatic on Thu Aug 06, 2009 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

That's a good dream, wish mine were more wild in that nature, but lately they've been more stress related.
After pondering this for a moment and coming to the realization that Soviets could not have significant activity on the Red Planet, I decided that the friend must have been using mid-20th Century Russia as an analogy relating to the iron-fisted rule of the Vorticons under the Grand Intellect.
That is awesome. Dream logic and the method of conclusion are fascinating.

The only Keen related dream I've had, that I can recall at least, was many years ago. I dreamed i was playing the Universe is Toast (or more like watching it; since I wasn't actually in the dream or the computer, just the image on the screen made up the entire visual).

Anyway, I recall parts of two levels: one featured these Red Ginger Bread like characters with stubby legs and sunglasses. Level started from the right side and looked very similar to the Bloog Water Crossing, red rocks and a big viny tree in that style, with the exception of a massive cave and waterfall in the foreground.

Another level was similar to Border village, but playing from left to right, Keen went into the house, slid down the pole, and stood for a moment. This yellow alien approached keen from the right, similar in posture to the squash in Keen Dreams but more ball shaped. Keen just stood there though, and the creature walked up, stopped in front of Keen and looked innocently out of the screen (at me I guess) and then suddenly expanded/inflated and ate Keen.
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

Nickssoft posted this crazy-ass representation of a dream once, but alas, it is gone now. There is http://publiccommanderkeenforum.yuku.co ... ou-do.html , which does contain a pretty surreal image of a Keen dream by CommanderSpleen (I will throw that rhyme into my upcoming rap album).
Member since 2003, with breaks of varying longevity interspersed.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

My dreams in recent years have all been WAY too realistic. I miss the days when my dreams were weird and surreal all the time. :stoned

I haven't had that many Keen-related dreams (lots of Doom ones though)...I think I remember having one where I was on one of the Tantalus Ray levels and got stuck in a pit somewhere and couldn't escape.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I only remember one main Keen dream, which is described in that other thread. It's serving as the inspiration for the second mod in my Monky Business trilogy. It'd be quite excellent to have another sometime.

I think I saved that image of Nickssoft's. I'll take a look tomorrow and post it if it turns up.

My dreams have also been of a supremely realistic nature in recent times, sometimes disturbingly so. I've been pursuing lucid dreams for a couple of years, and succeeded, but am putting it aside for now as it has become too disrupting to my waking life.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Nice visual aid Spleen, don't recall seeing that one before (almost two years ago :old )

This is a rough cut and paste job of what my dream looked like:
Commander Spleen wrote:It's serving as the inspiration for the second mod in my Monky Business trilogy
You use the present tense, does that mean you're currently working on episode 2? :disguised
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I just remembered another Keen dream I also had years and years ago in which Keen was in a level that used the green floors seen in Keen 5. All I really remember about it is that, at one point, Keen encounters a bunch of big brown vase-looking things with faces that were all shuffling into a room away from Keen and making a strange "poka-poka-poka" noise. After they were all in the room a game-over message popped up that said "You didn't make it past the Pogo Pots." There's a gap in my memory after that, but later in this level there are gray versions of the pots which don't move or make noise.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I remember once having a dream where I was looking over the shoulder of someone on a computer, and they were supposedly playing some Commander Keen game... there were like 5 different "games" in it, and each one only lasted for a few seconds each (I assume they died or something). The only game I remember was one where a big black orb was chasing Keen or something... IIRC it looked somewhat like a large shikadi mine, only round.

I've had two dreams about the Keen community though. In the first one, I went into some sort of clubhouse, which had a computer lab inside, and I remember associating it with K:M. I even knew who some of the "people" were -- I remember Andy being there, and I think Xky or someone.
The other dream was basically the same. I was in a large cafeteria or something, and I recognized either Levellass or Levellord.
...of course, all the "recognitions" that I made in these dreams were done using dream logic... I don't know what any of those people look like in real life (except for maybe Xky, although I probably wouldn't be able recognize him in a crowd), and the faces in the dream were probably too vague or blurry to distinguish...
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

I had a dream once that Keen could stand on the roofs of the stone houses in Keen 4. And then I was disappointed upon finding out one could not, in fact, stand on such roofs.
Member since 2003, with breaks of varying longevity interspersed.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Those Pogo Pots so need to be used in a mod.
Ceilick wrote:You use the present tense, does that mean you're currently working on episode 2? Diguised
Maybe it does... maybe it does.

Nothing concrete yet, just a basic outline that's been forming in my mind for some time, and a couple of small concept sketches.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I never had a Keen dream, as far as I can remember. I dreamt about community members, though. I find it interesting too that I don't know what most members look like, and I can still make up an appearance in my mind, and recognize the person in my dreams. Thats weird I think.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

It doesn't seem so weird at all to me.
Even if your brain didn't know what the people looked like, if your brain decided to include those people, you might look at them, at which point your brain would generate some sort of appearance for them.
I wish computer games were as sophisticated as dreams.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

tulip wrote:I never had a Keen dream, as far as I can remember. I dreamt about community members, though. I find it interesting too that I don't know what most members look like, and I can still make up an appearance in my mind, and recognize the person in my dreams. Thats weird I think.
The same thing for me! But I think of community members as their avatars.

You, for an example, looks like your cute avatar!

I wonder if anyone here thinks of me as a melon with a hat? (It's the pink bird right now, though)
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

I've once dreamed to be commander keen but not in the commander keen universe. I was in fact a GDI commando in a nod base. Then a nod soldier came to my position and asked "If you're commander keen then why the hell are you a commando?" and the dream finished.

Lol.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

ZidaneA wrote: I wonder if anyone here thinks of me as a melon with a hat? (It's the pink bird right now, though)
I always thought of an elf for some reason. Must of been the hat.
666 wrote:I was in fact a GDI commando in a nod base. Then a nod soldier came to my position and asked "If you're commander keen then why the hell are you a commando?" and the dream finished.
:lol
Weird.