Goodbye, Cerebral Cortex 314?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Goodbye, Cerebral Cortex 314?

Post by Grandy02 »

I read that the owners of the private gaming websites hosted at GameSpy received this mail:
As referred to above, we also have some sad, but extremely important news for you regarding your hosted site, and ask that you read through the following carefully.

After years of quality free hosting for gaming sites, we have decided to discontinue our free hosting services. We know that this will come as a shock and a disappointment to you; in this e-mail we will explain why this decision was made, when the shutdown will occur, and what the next steps are for the many hosted site owners who will be affected.

The primary reason for the discontinuation of the free hosting is one of compatibility. At IGN, we are in the process of moving to a new data centre, and a number of our operations are incompatible with it, including the free hosting service. At this time we regretfully are not in a position to carry out the additional work needed to make the hosting service compatible.

[...]

To summarize:
The Hosting Services will end on 11.59 PM, August 31st, 2009.
And Cerebral Cortex 314 is also a site hosted at GameSpy. It would be very sad if CC314 just disappeared from the web. Even if it hasn't been updated since ages, it is an important piece of the Keen community's history and still a very useful site. Does anybody know what will happen with it? :(
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I was actually looking through this site just last night...I was marveling not only at how long it has lasted (even without updates), but how many of the other Keen fan sites it links to haven't. If it really is going to be terminated along with the other free Gamespy-hosted sites, one of us should definitely save it and put it up somewhere else, where it won't die.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Damn, too bad. Hopefully someone can archive it, I don't even know how to save entires sites, not to mention I don't have any cost-free space.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Well you don't have to have web space to archive it. You could just save it on your HD and worry about getting it up later.

But yeah, idk how to archive either except going to each page, clicking view source, and saving as html :dead
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I believe the magical Linux utility wget is most suitable for this task. I'll play around with it if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That would be nice, it would be a shame to lose it. What about the Wayback Machine? Doesn't that archive old web sites?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I believe there was a Firefox extension that could let you 'save' or backup entire websites. I can't find it right now though...
Wow look at me I'm lurking
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I tried that extension once (I also forgot its name now), but it didn't quite do what it was supposed to.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Levellass wrote:That would be nice, it would be a shame to lose it. What about the Wayback Machine? Doesn't that archive old web sites?
Yes, but they are mostly not complete (it is still an invaluable treasure nonetheless). Plus, GameSpy could always decide that their sites are not allowed to be archived in the Wayback Machine, which would also affect archived versions of the already vanished ones.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

Dont worry guys Ill archive it with a proper archiver tool

Also, Geocities is closing down later this year, so save any geocities sites you need to get.

Looks like Web 1.0 is shutting down :(
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

web 1.0 pwns web 2.0

2.0 is too messy too much junk too annoying
(i used to be ME!)
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Pardon my web news ignorance, but why is Geocities shutting down? Was it just a case of too few hits to support the pages with ad money, or was it a matter of arguments over ownership and the like?
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Deltamatic wrote:Pardon my web news ignorance, but why is Geocities shutting down? Was it just a case of too few hits to support the pages with ad money, or was it a matter of arguments over ownership and the like?
It probably just couldn't compete with other sites, like Freewebs... It was great in the 90's and early 2000s when people just wanted to put up a page full of random stuff, but now people want things like blogs, message boards, chatrooms, etc... IIRC Geocities didn't support anything like that.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

memsys wrote:web 1.0 pwns web 2.0

2.0 is too messy too much junk too annoying
Fully agree on that one.

Are they coming up with anything to replace Geocities? :confused
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

Removed
Last edited by Nickssoft on Sat Sep 19, 2020 19:02, edited 1 time in total.