Hiatus!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Hiatus!

Post by Bonevelous »

Yes. I just bought a new Vista computer. So my keen projects will be put on a hiatus. :dead I still have my XP, so I'll just import anything I haven't submitted online to my new computer via USB port. :)
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I did that about half a year ago. Yes, I think it does set modding back a bit, but once you get used to Vista modding should be no problem again. iKeen doesn't work on Vista as far as I can see, but Mindbelt does, so there should be no problem.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

iKeen? I'm so out of the loop on Commander Keen editing.

I actually like Vista a LOT more than XP. You just have to modify some folders to let you have full access.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

It sucks that you have to use DOSBOX for all the apogee classics. I heard stories that Doombuilder II works ONLY on vista, but the development builds work on everything BUT vista... I guess I'll find out for sure at my bro's house. I haven't tried installing doom 3 on it yet, I have a hunch the installer might not work. But the half-life installer went okay so I guess it will be allright. I'll never get my scanner's software running though >:
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I've had no trouble running iKeen on Vista, did Keen Z with it.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

So far in my experience all the installers for older games worked fine. Then again I have a 32 bit laptop. I would expect there to me more compatibility errors with say, a dual/quad core 64 bit machine as opposed to a 32 bit machine. The same way there were errors between the 16 and 32 bit eras mostly, as mentioned, with device drivers.

And I don't think it matters so much that you have to use DOS Box to run the older games. (As opposed to?) I mean in order to run Vista you need a computer that has a high clock speed and enough RAM that it wouldn't matter what DOS game you ran. (Unless you are running Arena. :rolleyes )
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I've seen that iKeen picture quite a while ago :lol.
So iKeen does work on Vista, maybe it's my nVidia card then (or the combination)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I've got used to Vista now, but I still wish I had XP. :) I can't pretend that my modding (not that the current project is so old, it was started only this year) has been going slowly because of the switch, anymore -- my mind has been focused on other projects. But I guess eventually something will get done -- as usually.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I hate Vista. So much.

It's slow, it doesn't let you remove programs from the 'Open with' list, it doesn't let you map your keyboard, the folder settings don't change, KeenEdit and other DOS applications don't run at all, QBASIC doesn't run unless in Dosbox... the list goes on and on.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

The only experience with Vista hardware on my XP machine is Office 2007.
Worst. Upgrade. Ever.
Wordpad suddenly became the best text editor I had.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Oh God yes! Office update! Terrible! Nothing worked the way it did, and I couldn't view slideshows anymore for some reason. Also the slideshow folder view was gone. I went back to 2003.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I've wondered why they made the new Office use the "ribbon interface" (or whatever), which takes up more vertical space than before... Especially now that widescreen monitors are so common...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Oh yeah, don't get me started about the new Office -- had to use it in school a few times. :bloody But yeah, programs in Vista just keep locking all the time, not responding. Garrrg. But most garging is that I can't run KeenEdit except in DosBox, and I can't get it working in there the way it used to in XP and 98. :(
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Now that people are realising just how much fecal matter Vista consists of, I'm using it as an opportunity to let them try a Linux setup (specifically Ubuntu).
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Commander Spleen wrote:Now that people are realising just how much fecal matter Vista consists of, I'm using it as an opportunity to let them try a Linux setup (specifically Ubuntu).
I've got Ubuntu now... I could probably use a more complicated distro, but I don't feel like there's much benefit to that.

I also occasionally run XP in VirtualBox, since I need it for some programs... its almost always a pain to do so. For some reason I just find linux to be a much better experience. :)