Commander Keen Book

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Commander Keen Book

Post by pizza2004 »

I personally think that someone needs to adapt the Commander Keen Story into a book, like they do with some video games and movies. This would be hilariously awesome and it could use the SGA fonts to print those messages. It would either be a book for Vorticons, and a Book for Galaxy with a short story or a couple of chapters on Aliens and a short story for Dreams, or just one book that combines everything, including Keen Dreams, and the CK Community Mod(s) into one book that is reasonable in length, but not extremely long.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

That is an awesome idea. The only trouble is selecting a writer.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I've always wanted to do something like this...never had the time though. I've also considered doing a history/biography-type-thing of Mortimer McMire and his career as villain, but a broader Keen story would be just as interesting.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

I looked back at the stories, and I am willing to attempt to write said book. I will make an effort to work on it occasionally and would love input and as such will almost certainly post anything I have on here, that way if I do decide to drop the book someone else can take up where I left off and finish it.

I think that the Simplest way to do it is break it into 2 books and 2 short stories, one for each of the different Keen stories, Vorticons, Galaxy, Aliens, and Dreams. Then when the CKCM is finished, it can be adapted into a book of its own, and if they do decide to do another like I suggested, then that one could as well be adapted into a book itself. All of these could then be compiled into one "Volume" that could be published by someone if they wished, or printed out, etc. etc.

I would love to do this, but I might not be the best at getting it done. As it is I immensely enjoy reading books and have had many encounters with different writing styles, plus this could help me improve in English because while I can come up with the story and fill in the details just fine, I'm not the best at keeping everything organized and such and therefore would be a lesson in structure with everyone to help.

The main question I have is how should I start it? Oh, and how should I tell the story, from Keen's point of view or as a general narrative (the narrative might be easier, because we don't know an awful lot about Keen's personality)? So if anyone agrees with me, please give your support. And now that it is very late at night, I am out.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I think writing in first person doesn't fit the Keen style too well, so I'd go with the narrative.
The first person may describe feelings a lot better, but 3rd has much more potential to be funny (All the funny books I know are written in 3rd person).
Feelings aren't of much importance in keen.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Yeah, that is sort of what I thought. I'm just trying to think of how to start the book exactly. As in how to introduce the characters and have it be Billy at first. I'll post something when I get it done.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

I wrote a basic beginning to the book, but now I would like some input as to what people think I should change to improve it to make more sense and/or be more interesting and the such!

Commander Keen
in
"Invasion of the Vorticons"
A book by Chad Anderson, based off of the Commander Keen Series, with the help of the Public Commander Keen Forum.

Our story starts one night at the Blaze residence. Susan and Arthur Blaze are going out for the night and leaving 8 year old Billy Blaze at home, asleep in his bed.
"Time for bed Billy," called Susan from in their bedroom.
"But mom," whined Billy, "I don't want to go to bed, I'm not even tired!" Billy yawned and struggled to keep his eyes open.
"Nice try mister, but I'm not falling for it. Now run along and get changed and I'll be in in a minute to tuck you in."
"Yes mother," Billy replied as he dragged himself up off the couch and into his room to get ready for bed.
"Are you sure he will be alright?" asked Susan as she walked back into their bedroom.
"Of course he will," said Arthur, "he's a big boy, he can take care of himself. And besides, he'll be asleep anyways, what could happen?"
"Oh all right," sigh Susan Blaze as she put on her coat to exit the house, "but if he isn't okay when we get back, you won't want to come to bed for a while."
Billy hopped out of bed and ran over to the window to watch his parents leave. "Oh!" exclaimed Susan, "I forgot to say good night to Billy!"
Billy rushed back to bed and faked like he was asleep. The door creaked open slowly and Susan peeked into Billy's room. "You still awake Billy?" asked his mother. "Yes" mumbled Billy incoherently. "Good night Billy" whispered Susan, and closed the door gently and snuck back outside. Billy heard the car start and then drive away before he got out of bed this time. After he had checked that the coast was clear, he quickly got dressed, putting on his favorite sneakers and pants, but when he opened the shirt drawn he found that they we all dirty but this purple one that his dad gave him so that they could be "twins" and he didn't much like. Sighing he put the shirt on and left his room, sneaking down the hall to the backdoor. When he got there he noticed his brother's football helmet. He paused for a second, and then decided it would be a good idea to put it on just for protection.
As he snuck through the backyard he said to himself, "I should probably think of a different name to use so that no one figures out who I am."
"But what should the name be?" he pondered. "Hmm... Captain... No, not Captain, maybe... Commander! Yes, Commander... Commander what? Commander Spleen? No no, that's a terrible name, Commander Corn? No, too corny... Perhaps Commander... Keen! Yes, I'll call myself Commander Keen!" And with that he open the door to his Club House.
Once inside he uncovered his newest invention. "I can't wait to try it out!" So grabbing his raygun he hopped into his brand new ship! The Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket and blasts off into the sky. "I think I'll go explore Mars, see what it's like there," said Keen.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

keen found his raygun on mars
nothing usefull here
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Well actually, he may have either found the raygun or already have a gun that he invented that was compatible with the raygun shots one the planet. But I'll change it, as it is more likely that he found it on Mars. Keep it coming, I love constructive criticism. Do you find it at all entertaining?
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

from most stories i only read a part of the beginning and a part of the end :dopefish (does that answer you question?)
nothing usefull here
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Um... maybe? That's fine, It is most definitely a work in progress anyways. it changed on the way from my mind to the computer anyways, so it is definitely flexible. The goal here is to provide an entertaining story that is accurate to the games but has a fresh enough take on things that it doesn't seem really boring.

Anyone else?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Deltamatic wrote:That is an awesome idea. The only trouble is selecting a writer.
I nominate Levellord. :rolleyes

And yeah, that, while better than SOME fan fictions I have read... is still a little shallow. Try adding more depth to it such as descriptive details instead of just character actions and reaction. For example:
"Sighing he put the shirt on and left his room, sneaking down the hall to the backdoor. When he got there he noticed his brother's football helmet."
The football helmet is just FLOATING by the back door in a suspension field. It's right in the middle of the hallway. Maybe say something like:
He noticed his brother's football helmet while walking through the garage in the dark. The yellow color and white stripe caught his attention. Thinking twice about turbulence and G-forces Billy Blaze thought it might be a good idea to take it along with him. It might not be airtight like a real astronaut's helmet but it would at least do something.

I like the part about the pink / purple shirt though.

I say don't rush into writing this fan fiction. Take your time and do a decent job on it. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE AN ENTIRE OUTLINE FIRST BEFORE CONTINUING. When I was in school, they taught me this is one of the first steps to writing something. Along with a FIRST draft and a SECOND draft. I suggest you make sure you have a beginning, an end and all the main details and points worked out. In my opinion you only need to do one draft before you are ready to write the final version of your story. This is so you can catch any spelling mistakes... plot holes, sentences that could have been written better or anything that could be potentially stupid or embarrassing. I would say give yourself a full day between finishing your first draft and writing the final story.

TRUST ME, you will get nowhere if you don't have a well thought out plot. Your story will wander and you will give it up in embarrassment. It's happened to me and to other fan fiction writers.

Speaking of which I should probably start that back up...
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

First of: I like it, but as Galaxieretter said; a bit shallow.

Actually, I don't think you should write anything about how he became Commander Keen. I think we all have thought out different reasons for him to become Commander Keen. Writing about it tells everyone that "This is how it is, end of discussion.", and it just feels wierd.. Unless you plan to have some kind of plot-twist or something revolving around it..
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I can't understand how the garg I've never really thought how Billy became Keen! :confused But now when I do, I think he became so gradually. I understand the story of Keen 1 so that in the beginning of it Billy already has his Keen personality, and has had previous adventures as Keen. I think Mort has long known about "Commander Keen", and called Keen "Commander Clown" before as well. Who knows... (Tom.)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Where's his babysitter? Shouldn't she be asleep on the couch?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass