Mars, bringer of war.

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
tulip
Flower Pot

Mars, bringer of war.

Post by tulip »

I was reminded of this today,
I guess most of you know by now that the QED song of Keen 5 wasn't composed by Bobby Prince but is instead Part of a Suite by Gustav Holst. It is in KeenWiki, so you probably know it.
But have you listened to the original orch version?

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Incorrect, Mr Prince did compose it, he however used the melody from said Planet Suite. I have the entire Suite, and it is wonderful music for relaxing along to.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Eh? What is this planet suite of which you speak?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's (Now) an album (Classical music speak for 'album' is 'suite', or a set of things that all go together, thus you can get a suite of applications these days.) It contains a song for each of the planets, Mars is the bringer of war, Saturn of old age, and so on. Most of them are rather peaceful, calming pieces, with only Mars being particularly ominous.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I like the sort of arpeggio that Bobby Prince added to one part of the song... I kinda wish it was in the orchestral version.

I've known about this for a while. I remember Xky or someone had mentioned it, but I never bothered to look it up. I heard it in some TV show after that, though, so I looked it up... although I had no idea what to look for, so it was kinda tricky.

It's by far the best song in the suite, probably followed by Jupiter. The others are too slow to really hold my interest.

The airship music in Super Mario Bros 3 is inspired by mars.
Also, Symphony X has a pretty good metal version of it in one of their songs (you have to skip to like 1:45 where it starts, the beginning is just like Gregorian chanting)
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

I kinda imagined this as the Final Boss theme in a Commander Keen movie.

It was kinda epic.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yes the super mario airship theme is quite similar.

As for the metal version, there is one by Metallica from 1984: "Am I Evil?" starts with citing Mars bringer of war.
Image You crack me up little buddy!