PCKF timeline?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

PCKF timeline?

Post by entropicdecay »

So, I was talking to Spleen recently, and the topic of the history of the PCKF came up. So now I'm starting a topic about it.

If anyone can remember when specific notable events happened, could they possibly post them in this thread? Use your own definition of notable, but mods, fangames, utilities, members who did a lot of stuff joining are all possible suggestions.

Even if your memory an event is not that clear, you can post it if you want. Might be interesting to see how people remember stuff happening.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

PCKF history sounds fascinating--I didn't even know this place existed until a few months ago, so essentially all of this will be new to me.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I'd say when PCKF was first created and anytime it has moved is a must.
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

We moved off of the old ezBoard in late October/early November 2007. Before ezBoard was the InsidetheWeb board, which is getting back before my time. Not sure when it was first made, but the move from it had to have been in early 2001 when ItW stopped providing message board services.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Lava89 wrote:I'd say when PCKF was first created and anytime it has moved is a must.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You don't get history like they did in the old days, when I was a girl, it were proper history, written down on newsgroups and boards! Not like the here-today-gone-tomorrow history you get nowadays! The young ones today, they're all about their twitterblat and their i-majigs! Not like when I was a girl!

Yes, I lived through it all, the great crash of '02, the Shocksund attacks, the Djaser heresy, the Great Leap!

How old am I? Nineteen.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

Yeah i remember when there was a crash and most forum threads were lost :(

Perhaps some of it can be accessed through
http://web.archive.org/?

Anyone who remember the old URL to the ezboard forum?
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

I can't tell if Levellass is Levelord or Levelass
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Could easily be Levellord posting as Levellass. 'Tis a fascinating mystery (and probably deserves its own place in the PCKF history).

To start things off, the obvious bit; the date of the current incarnation's launch.
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:47 Post subject: Welcome to the new PCKF!
This was a short time after the Hack. We'd have to check the date of the thread on the old forum in which discussion about it took place.

Also, Crash of '02? Which board was this?
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Djaser: You are saying that I am stating the obvious.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I think it's safe to say that it's mostly just LLa, aka Sarah online these days. LL, aka Ziblink aka whoever, hasn't been online at all in the past like 4 or 5 months. She got super emo or something.

Djaser is saying whatever the hell he wants to say, god damnit! He's Djaser!

I remember the forums getting hacked or the EZ board HDs crashed or something but I don't think that is when we changed forums. We kept talking about it for a long while after the crash until the boards switched over to YUKU or whatever. Then the forums got all muffed up and we were like "YES, IT'S TIME TO MOVE NOW, KEENRUSH!" :redeyes But I'm not sure, everything from that time period is all :crazy for me.

But I remember shockshund. I saw that garg at school and was just "Uuuh... what the fucl?" I don't care if he's supposedly a "omg new member new page lol!" Anyone who posted goatse on these forums are not welcome here to me.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Galaxieretter wrote:But I remember shockshund. I saw that garg at school and was just "Uuuh... what the fucl?" I don't care if he's supposedly a "omg new member new page lol!" Anyone who posted goatse on these forums are not welcome here to me.
Honestly, if no one had ever mentioned that LJH was Shocks, I would have never known it.
Same thing with Bonev/Harvey. Some of our members have grown up a lot.

(Also, I luckily never saw any of Shocks' spam, so maybe that has something to do with why I can accept who he is now)

Is LJH even here anymore? I haven't seen him in a while.

A timeline of the PCKF (and the Keen community in general) would be really cool. We'd have to determine what's worthy of being included though (for instance, the move to phpBB: Important; Genius314 joining the board: Unimportant)
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Members joining definitely wouldn't qualify. :lol What about non-major, but not really non-minor events, though? (Should important mod release dates be included? Keen Day events? Major events in K:M that have aftershocks here? April Fool's jokes, if any?)
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

The problem is that most of us that remain weren't there in ye olden days. It's also kind of hard to have major events when there are so few of us.

I joined the community shortly after (i think) keen vorticons modding became possible, and since then the most major events I'd say have been keen 4-6 modkeen and the move (which I wasn't even here for, temporary keen retirement and all).

Major mod releases would probably be: Yorphius II, Keen X, Keen Null, Keen Dash, and The Keys of Krodacia.

Fangames were on the decline when I joined but I would say events around Isis II would probably be good to include.

Could include the end of the Keen Awards, the end of the Keen Newsletter, the end of CC314.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Galaxieretter wrote:I remember the forums getting hacked or the EZ board HDs crashed or something but I don't think that is when we changed forums. We kept talking about it for a long while after the crash until the boards switched over to YUKU or whatever. Then the forums got all muffed up and we were like "YES, IT'S TIME TO MOVE NOW, KEENRUSH!" Red Eyes But I'm not sure, everything from that time period is all Crazy for me.
I'm pretty sure it was a couple of months at most before we finally consolidated and implemented the moving plan. I still can't believe it took us so long anyway, the community had been needing it for years.