Micro title screens

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Mitsukara
Grunt

Micro title screens

Post by Mitsukara »

So, I was messing around with sprites and figured I'd try to make a whole set like my avatar: little micro versions of each game's title card using in-game graphics/sprites. I decided to make up Galaxy-style ones for the Vorticons trilogy, since the title screens for those were really pretty plain, and I figured it'd be neat to have them make a matching set.

Of course, there's one game that's just a mockup placeholder... for now :christmas

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

(if the above images are broken, try here)

You're welcome to use these any way you like, if you have a use for them :)

Also, Boobus Tuber is way too huge. Sorry!
Last edited by Mitsukara on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Those are all pretty awesome, Mitsukara. :) My favorite is the KMD! one.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Agree, totally awesome! My favourite is AAMB! :dopekeen Good work.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I think the BotB one is the best :)

Obviously I'm kidding :lol
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Very nicely done. I think the black pixels around his face could use some work to look better. I do understand you're trying to make Keen look here as they do in the original title screens, but right now they look a bit like black smudge on his face or something.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

DaVince wrote:Very nicely done. I think the black pixels around his face could use some work to look better. I do understand you're trying to make Keen look here as they do in the original title screens, but right now they look a bit like black smudge on his face or something.
His faces look pretty good to me :)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Wow.

They could be used for a dosbox frontend like boxer, where you could put them in instead of the package cover.
The Keen3 one seems a little stuffed for me.

I could imagine a nice tiled menu with them for the episode selection of CG.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

You're really talented, Mitsukara! The Keen 6 one is my favorite.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
DaVince wrote:Very nicely done. I think the black pixels around his face could use some work to look better. I do understand you're trying to make Keen look here as they do in the original title screens, but right now they look a bit like black smudge on his face or something.
His faces look pretty good to me :)
Most of them do, but Secret/Aliens look kinda weird. One is almost like Keen's wearing an eye patch, probably because the eye colors mismatch.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Wow, these are awesome! The keen 6 one consistently makes me laugh, and I really like the design of the keen 3 one, the gran intellect and his hordes.

Hehe, the Battle of the Brains one is great too :british

Also nice job on designing and shading the text for each episode.

I agree with DaVince on the black pixels on the faces of some of them, I suggest making keen's eyebrows use dark grey instead of black (k3, k4, k6, k8 ), and in the cases where he's wide eyed (K2, K5, K7) mix in some dark grey to the outline, but keep some black in it too; I think that'll make his eyes look like they're part of his face and not on top of his face :)

Really like Tulip's idea for using these in commander genius as a visual option for episode selection.
Mitsukara
Grunt

Post by Mitsukara »

Slightly altered version based on suggestions:

The eyebrows are a little tricky to recognize as such because the Keen sprite never really had eyebrows. The O_O type faces are really hard to actually fit in a way that looks face-like though (Keys of Krodacia and Armageddon Machine were the hardest to do!). I tried to base them off the way the death sprites look, the primary one of which is seen in it's unedited glory in the Battle of the Brains mock-up.

Also possibly adding to the weirdness was that, for accurateness' sake, I decided to give him the grill on his football helmet for 1-3: close attention to the sprites, not to mention how visible it is in all the bigger art, shows that he seemed to always have it on back then, but ditched it starting in Keen Dreams/4. Also, the goofy looking Grand Intellect shadow is supposed to be a combination of the poster found in 3 in various houses combined with the arms from the Mangling Machine. Dunno if that worked as intended though :confused

Zooming in probably helps these make a little more sense, but as that might not be convenient, here's a blownup version:
Zoomed In version

After I made them it did dawn on me that Keen 1, 2, and 3 looked a little packed, especially the latter two; there's a striking simplicity to what's going on in Keen 4-8s titles, since the real screen just shows a giant picture of Keen with one enemy in the background (or no enemies and just the BWB, in Keen 4's case). But I figured it was a chance to pair Keen Galaxy style sprites with Vorticons stuff, so I said, "what the heck, go for it!" XD I also wanted, especially with Keen Must Die!, to create a sense of "they're totally gonna kill him in that picture" (Keen has no chance in that Keen 2 one! He's being shot at, falling onto fire, and there's a baby vorticon blocking his way even if he'd jumped correctly!).

...that would have nothing to do with how good I actually am at those games... :dead2

I think Marooned on Mars came out a lot smoother than the other two though. ^^' That, and Dead in the Desert are the only two I feel very satisfied with (although Aliens Ate my Babysitter was pretty simple and fun to do, I don't really like what's going on with the background, it seems too plain).

One other slight problem is that I don't really have a convenient space to host these, so they're all on imageshack and might go down after a while. Sorry! :dead
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Interesting designs. Amusing to see the title screens translated into in-game scenes.

In the Keen 6 one, his arms look too buff and it seems like he should be standing instead of trying to walk.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

I thought when I had looked at the Grand Intellect shadow that he was holding two staffs, not raised arms... though now that I look at it I can see how they could be Mangling Machine arms.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

The fixes are great. These are really neat now. :)

I vote for them being available as emotikeens!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Great work! The only complain is that the titles are hard to read.