Connecting the English and German Keen wikis

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Connecting the English and German Keen wikis

Post by Snortimer »

I think it would be a good idea if the English Keen wiki and the German one were to link to each other, in the way that different language versions of Wikipedia are connected. They are structured mostly in the same way, and I think it would help both of them if they were more closely connected - that way someone from one language version could check if the page in the other version is more detailed, and improve the version that is lacking.

The German wiki has some pages that the English one does not have, i.e. a lot of info and screenshots from the German community's fangame.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

There's a German fangame?! And a German community? Have the done any mods? Made any patches? What's the news with them? Where's their website?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Levellass wrote:There's a German fangame?! And a German community? Have the done any mods? Made any patches? What's the news with them? Where's their website?
You can download a demo of the German fangame here. It is very smooth, though the pogo physics are a little off.

I have no idea if they're still working on it. I hope so. Judging by the screenshots that I linked to, they have something pretty original planned.

And yeah, I wonder if they have some mods of their own that the English community never found out about...
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I wonder why everyone is always so surprised when the german community is mentioned, I sure mentioned it earlier, and we have members that are members of the german community as well, most prominently Kin9 Duk3.

This is the website:
http://ckfsc.webnwork.com

This is their forum:
http://ckfsc.webnwork.com/forum/

Yes they are still working on the fangame, mind it's a very small community, and it'S progressing relatively slow, but every now and then one comes up with a new monster, goodie or something else (I provided a monster)

No there aren't any mods confined to the german community, they aren't even informed too well about mods, I told them about the release of Keen8 about a week ago, I think, and some were surpised, didn't even know it was planned. So with that lack of interest in mods, they haven't done any patches themselves.

Linking the two wikis together sounds like a nice idea. Malv could contact the admin there: http://ckfsc.webnwork.com/community.kontakt.html
Image You crack me up little buddy!
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

No offense, but I think that it's time for the german people to learn some english and stop isolating themselves from the world..
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

English is such a weird language. Everybody should be speaking Lojban and writing in Tengwar.
Everybody should also speak English, Latin, Greek, French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Portugese, Old Icelandic, Klingon, Quenya and Russian.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Deltamatic wrote:English is such a weird language. Everybody should be speaking Lojban and writing in Tengwar.
Everybody should also speak English, Latin, Greek, French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Portugese, Old Icelandic, Klingon, Quenya and Russian.
*Hits Deltamatic for not remembering to include Omnispeak on a Commander Keen forum*

Japanese, French, and Spanish are high-up on my to-do list.
I already know a *tiny* bit of French from school, although I can't practice it anywhere, so I forgot most of it already. Right now I'm focusing on learning Japanese via the Internet.

And I agree, English is weird.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I'd like to know a lot more languages, but I have the same problem of not having any practical use for them in order to practice. Some German has sunk in as second nature, but they're generally pretty random things, like what Hitler says in the Red Alert intro, "Ich haben keine zeit um rum zu sehen." I'm waiting for the day I get to use the greeting, "G'tag" to someone who understands it.

G'day, I don't have time to be standing around. *runs away*
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I learned English and French at school, and (ancient) Chinese at the university, and I picked up some random stuff of Thai.
I love to compare languages, each one has a special weirdness of its own.

I don't know anyone in germany saying "G'tag", how do you pronounce that anyway. Either you go with the full "Guten Tag" (good day) or you shorten it to "Tag." (Day). In southern Germany, where I come from we use "Grüß Gott" ("greet God", you americans should like that one because it has strange letters in there), and the less formal latin-rooted "Servus".
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

G'tag, is an australianism of German, following the traditional aussie attitude to other cultures of making fun or ignoring them. As Spleen will agree I'm sure, 'Sie ist fein. Keine Sorgen.'!

And I agree, English is weird.
Most languages are weird. Both to those who speak them, and those who don't. Seriously German, parsnips are feminine, but a young girl is neuter? And dutch! 'how goes it with you?'? Japanese, you're worse than German! Words that differet depending on the speaker's and recipient's gender? Don't get me started!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Levellass wrote:'Sie ist fein. Keine Sorgen.'
Ooh, Keine Sorgen. I like that. *adds to list of nifty phrases*
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

I like learning about other languages, specially when it involves leaning new symbols. For spoken languages, I know the most words from German (Only 4 new letters! :D,) and for Non-Latin-Alphabet languages, I can transliterate Russian the best, then Greek the second best.
Last edited by Bonevelous on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I actually enjoy english quite a bit (I'm also somewhat familiar with German and Latin). I always enjoy learning new english vocabulary and old english words that have fallen out of use. English as a borrowers language also makes it exceptionally interesting, as its relatively easy to make up words and use foreign vocabulary in english sentences coherently.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Back to topic: I think its a good idea to link the English and German wikis (the latter one is called Galactopedia) with each other.

Well, I don't know why there is a lack of interest in mods over there. Usually, when I see English boards and similar content, a notable number of the non-native speakers is made up by Germans. But the only Germans here I know are Kin9 Duk3, Tulip, and myself...
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Grandy02 wrote:Back to topic: I think its a good idea to link the English and German wikis (the latter one is called Galactopedia) with each other.

Well, I don't know why there is a lack of interest in mods over there. Usually, when I see English boards and similar content, a notable number of the non-native speakers is made up by Germans. But the only Germans here I know are Kin9 Duk3, Tulip, and myself...
I still think not. If they want to speak german or whatever, let them do that. If they start speaking german here, I'm gone. (or maybe not, but if there was another CK-forum I had) D: