Keen IRC Channel

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

lemm wrote:I'd just like to remind you that those of us in the IRC channel are celebrating the three-year anniversary of Jroc's defeat during the game. Come join us to mark this momentous occasion. :birthday

(p.s. you have also lost the game)
Also the third anniversary of a screenshot of Keen Galaxy source code.

It was quite an eventful topic and then nobody had ops for three years.

:christmas
#pckf wrote:* Now talking on #pckf
* Topic for #pckf is: For everyone! http://i.imgur.com/veoGzTH.jpg | jroc was defeated during the game
* Topic for #pckf set by splsplspl (Sat Nov 2 22:51:50 2013)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen IRC Channel

Post by Roobar »

Guys, recently I and some others found about Discord, which in short is 1000 times better than IRC. What do you think of Discord as a much better alternative to the IRC?

So we can create a Public Commander Keen Server and sub-channels like #Commander_Keen and #Keen_Modding. Unlike IRC, what you write there won't disappear and can be viewed by others who join later. You can also add images, gifs, videos, sounds etc. You can pin messages (similar thing to the topics of IRC). You can invite people, message, ban and more. It's simple and intuitive. We need to migrate to it and I think it's finally time to move on.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

That's a good idea. Which service will last longer, I wonder. That IRC or Discord? Doesn't seem like Discord will be going out of business anytime soon. I'm all for it, unless some of the IRC regulars don't want to migrate. Might have to keep both avenues open for a little while.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

I have been a part of a Discord server for a (non-Keen) fangame for about a year (as well as a couple of other servers here and there) and a mod for a month or two, and I've got to say, it's pretty great. The only complaint I ever had was that it was missing a search function, but they implemented one a while back, so it's pretty much perfect. And yes, the whole chatlog stays there indefinitely.

In addition to the features Roobar listed, admins (or people granted this right) can add custom emoticons or emojis or whatever people are calling them. And yeah, granting privileges is very... modular, I guess? You can pick and choose things for the target user and make your own roles. We have one person who only has the power to add new emotes because that's what they're good at (and it's entertaining when it happens).

You can make audio channels if you're into that but I've never messed with it because I can't stand the thought of people hearing my voice. But it's there!

I'm sure there are more benefits...

I say all this despite never having been to the Keen IRC (or any IRC on that site). I also think it's understandable if you don't want to move to a newer platform for reasons of nostalgia or the like. I just thought I'd put in my two cents as someone who has been communicating primarily via Discord for the last year.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Quite right, Captain!

By the way, there's another thread in the Misc column...

https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtop ... f=6&t=4057

Feel free to stop on by anytime!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Oh... Welp! I should probably learn how to check unread threads more effectively. I've been gone so long... :old
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Hi, just popping by to say that it seems that foonetic has died now so our IRC channel is no more. I'm on the Discord but there were a few people staying only on IRC, so I'm hoping by posting this here they'll see it. Do you want to move to a new network? If so, I'd suggest posting it here so people know where to go...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Huh, that was unexpected. Even though there are only a few who still use it, rebooting the channel on another server would be useful. I do plan to re-IRC someday but at the moment Discord is the most convenient for me.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I can still occasionally connect to one of the Foonetic IRC servers, although it hasn't been as stable as beforehand. The #xkcd IRC channel even migrated to SlashNET because of that. I haven't had much success with accessing their website, though.

Another recent surge of spam has probably not assisted, I think.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

I am highly in favor of keeping the IRC chat alive. I actually just now headed over to this thread to see if I could connect!

Let’s go to a new network! Freenode?
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I'd recommend Espernet, I've got a channel hosted there and have used it for years.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Let's establish a channel on every network available for maximum inconvenience.

Seriously though, what's good enough for XKCD is far too good for us, so let's go with what they chose.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Just letting you know that Foonetic is officially going to be shut down by the end of this July.

For the few who prefer IRC over other alternatives, there's now a #pckf channel at SlashNET, although it's almost never used, just like the Foonetic channel.

To quote the message I get upon connecting to a Foonetic server as of these very last days:
-InfoServ- *** Message(s) of the Day ***
-InfoServ- [Shutdown] Notice from spinfire, posted 20:27 on 07/23/2019:
-InfoServ- Foonetic Network will be formally shut down at the end of July with the shutdown of all servers and the website. Please migrate to anther network (many channels have moved to Slashnet) before then. So long, and thanks for all the fish.
-InfoServ- *** End of Message(s) of the Day ***
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

thanx for the heads up
out now (link) : Image
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

As of this evening, I can't connect to Foonetic anymore, and looks like it's the end for good. I guess that I can write: R.I.P.

I still had my PC connected to it earlier today. This morning, less than an hour since the event, I saw these messages, the latter of which referring to what was apparently the very last disconnection from Foonetic (presumably delayed due to time out):
Aug 01 07:08:48 -Global- [Network Notice] spinfire - So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Aug 01 07:24:45 * Disconnected (Connection timed out)
This page claims that the network was registered on January 2009 (not sure that it's the exact month of starting the service): https://netsplit.de/servers/?net=Foonetic

My IRC logs from Foonetic, which I'm lucky to still have, say that I originally connected to Foonetic at "Sat Sep 5 23:29:59 2009" (local time), and then joined the #pckf at "Sat Sep 5 23:30:11 2009". If the final shutdown were to occur just a bit more than a month later, then I'd technically have my 10 years anniversary beforehand.

As for a few more random notes: The Foonetic channel's topic was last set by splsplspl at "Sat Nov 2 13:51:50 2013". The alternative SlashNET channel's topic, which is currently the same as in Foonetic, except for the addition of a welcome to the SlashNET channel, has been set by DHeadshot at "Wed Jul 24 14:54:08 2019".