Keen IRC Channel

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

It has been fixed.

EDIT: ninjas everywhere.

EDIT2:
TerminILL wrote:Also, due to recent shenanigans in IRC, I'm thinking some rules need to be drafted and enforced. There's a line between fun and stupidity, and we've been veering to the wrong side recently.
Alright then, following the log I've read from tonight, things are starting to get pretty sad. I'd have never thought we'd need to resort to rules, but I've written a few guidelines in hope that #pckf from now on will be a better place for everyone.

http://pastebin.com/y9TFTvsu

(IN CASE THE LINK DIES)
Channel rules: These rules are meant to make #pckf a better place for just about anyone, and to prevent excessive abuse and retardedness to get in the way.

1) Try not to take everything seriously, but not everything as a joke either. There's a line between fun and stupidity, and we've been veering to the wrong side recently.
2) Try to be reasonable and try not to get too personal. This is just an internet IRC chat, do not take any insults or anything else seriously. If you do, it's all your fault. Also, try not to flame other users.
3) Do not spam, or keep it to a minimum.
4) Be responsible. If you're given op access, do not go around banning people for no reason.
5) Respect people's privacy. What happens in #pckf STAYS in #pckf. This channel may contain exclusive releases of mods or fangames. If you happen to come across one of said releases, don't spread it around the forums or other places, it's up to the authors of the game to do that.
6) Do not post shocking or disturbing images, and do not link to shock sites. Images that contain nudity are fine but keep it to a reasonable level.

(THAT SHOULD HELP)

Feel free to comment and whatnot. Also voice other concerns you have for the IRC channel or things you'd like to see, etc. (Whoever accuses me of being racist will get banned from the channel instantly :P)
Last edited by Dynamo on Mon Jul 18, 2011 13:27, edited 3 times in total.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

These rules sound pretty good to me. Basically they're rules that everyone should have already been following anyway. (Which can probably be said of any good set of rules.)

Let's not turn #pckf into another pckf.com guys. :foot
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

CK Guy wrote:These rules sound pretty good to me. Basically they're rules that everyone should have already been following anyway. (Which can probably be said of any good set of rules.)

Let's not turn #pckf into another pckf.com guys. :foot
5) Respect people's privacy. What happens in #pckf STAYS in #pckf. This channel may contain exclusive releases of mods or fangames. If you happen to come across one of said releases, don't spread it around the forums or other places, it's up to the authors of the game to do that.

I accidentally broke this rule the night I was banned. On the KeenWiki, NetKeen is included in the list of fangames, but there was not a page for it. I decided to start a page for NetKeen on the Wiki. I posted some basic information and listed the maps available and their authors. However, I made one big mistake. Completely forgetting I had a copy of the unreleased upgrade (the upgrade that has not been publically released yet), when I began listing the maps available with NetKeen, instead of listing the 22 maps available for Keen 4 and Keen 5, I listed all 61 of the maps for all three galaxy episodes that are currently in my copy of the upgrade!

It was not until a few hours later that I realized my mistake when I was talking to Ceilick in the KeenIRC. I then let Ceilick and Lemm know what I did and what they wanted me to do to fix my error. So I went back to the Wiki and completely removed the map list. Before I had done so, someone left a post on the talk page asking where they could download the Keen 6 maps! (At the time I started the page I was unaware that none of the Keen 6 maps were included in the original download. ) Ceilick followed after me, cleaned up my brief description and re-added the maps that are in the publically released version of NetKeen. Both of them told me it was okay and there were no hard feelings.

Roughly around 5 hours later I was kicked out of the room by Paramultart (when I re-entered someone claimed he kicked me by accident trying to kick someone else.) I had only re-entered for a few minutes when I was kicked again! But when I tried to re-enter this time it kept telling me "You are banned from the #pckf channel." After close to 20 attempts to get back in, I finally got back in, but for close to an hour no one said anything, so I left.

For the life of me I could not understand why the hell I had been banned! If I had been banned for breaking rule #5, it made no sense to ban me for it several hours after the fact, and especially when Ceilick and Lemm told me there were no hard feelings. Thank you for lifting my ban!

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Syllypryde wrote:For the life of me I could not understand why the hell I had been banned! If I had been banned for breaking rule #5, it made no sense to ban me for it several hours after the fact, and especially when Ceilick and Lemm told me there were no hard feelings. Thank you for lifting my ban!
As I said, it was just a mistake. The ban was removed as soon as it was brought to my attention. I wasn't referring to this netkeen incident in particular (actually I didn't even get to know about it until now), but stuff like some user drama that has happened a while ago, with people raging over the forums for stuff that happened in IRC.

What's done (and undone) is done. Everything's cool.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Why have I been banned from PCKF?
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Wow, there are rules? And no spamming is one of them?
I cite criminal ignorance.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

kuliwil wrote:Wow, there are rules? And no spamming is one of them?
I was not spamming.

edit: Apparently Para banned me. Why on earth were his admin powers reinstated? He abuses them.
Last edited by Scarlet on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:17, edited 1 time in total.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Scarlet wrote:
kuliwil wrote:Wow, there are rules? And no spamming is one of them?
I was not spamming.
No, I was saying that I was spamming.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

I was sleeping while this happened and right now I have no idea what happened either. I'll look into it later
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

CKeen wrote:I was sleeping while this happened and right now I have no idea what happened either. I'll look into it later
It has been resolved, I think.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

So I'm on IRC and everytime I post I get the message *pckf :You need voice (+v) (#pckf). I have no idea what this means but I don't think my messages are even showing up. Since I'm not an operator I can't give myself voice. I have no idea what the deal with this is.

Edit: This is fixed
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm trying to get Xchat 2 to work, I keep getting this error message:

Code: Select all

Perl interface loaded
 You must have ActiveTCL installed in order to run Tcl scripts.
 http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Tcl/
 Make sure Tcl's bin directory is in your PATH.

Winamp plugin loaded
* Looking up foonetic.net
* Connecting to foonetic.net (216.93.242.12) port 6667...
* Connection failed. Error: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
I can't figure out how to fix it.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Try using "irc.foonetic.net" for the server, not "foonetic.net"

Idk if this is the problem, but its one thing that should be done (I do).

Connect manually with "/server irc.foonetic.net 6667"
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

it didn't work.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Fix to the everything: Switch to the Opera web browser (>All) and use the built-in IRC client.