Keen IRC Channel

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

thehackercat wrote:Aaand.. there's a difference between hackers (members of open-source communities) and crackers (people who break into things).

No one really uses the terms like that anymore.. :confused
Well, no one inside the open-source community. I'll bet if you asked anyone on the street what a hacker is, they'd tell you it's someone who breaks into computers.
And a cracker is a white guy, or Ritz.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

thehackercat wrote: Aaand.. there's a difference between hackers (members of open-source communities) and crackers (people who break into things).

No one really uses the terms like that anymore.. :confused

Actually, a hacker is a computer-enthusiast.
You were right about the cracker though.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I always thought a hacker had knowledge of computer security and hacking, and a cracker was a hacker who broke into computers in a malicious way.

Whereas the more general term for "hacker" could include people who know how to hack for constructive purposes (e.g. helping a company strengthen their server security) and those who "crack" into stuff.

But I could be wrong....
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

A friend of mine had a lengthy conversation with the school's IT guy on this subject.... in Notepad, while the IT guy was using a takeover program on his computer. :P
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Oh, I've done that before. :o

I was e-mailing something home from school so I could work on it later, and I typed "I AM NOT USING A PROXY SERVER" in real big letters. It worked.
(and I wasn't)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This sounds similar to 'white hat' and 'black hat' hackers, or even light and dark magic. In the end it's trying to put a distinction based only on morals or intentions. You may as well ask 'What is a virus?' (If I write a program to clear out old temp files, is that a virus? What if it sometimes causes office setup files to be deleted?)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Levellass wrote:This sounds similar to 'white hat' and 'black hat' hackers, or even light and dark magic. In the end it's trying to put a distinction based only on morals or intentions. You may as well ask 'What is a virus?' (If I write a program to clear out old temp files, is that a virus? What if it sometimes causes office setup files to be deleted?)
Well there can be "good" hackers if they're putting their energies into helping companies or individuals build a strong security system and with that they're not creating viruses, but instead using their knowledge to test and improve the defenses. Quite different from those who are actually causing harm and \ or infringing on the personal systems.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I always thought of hackers as experienced coders/software developers. And Google seems to agree with me. Not sure when someone started thinking it was associated with open source, or even all programmers.

Though 'hacking' does mean programming. Usually in more complicated languages.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Wow has this gone off-topic.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Back onto said topic, the IRC channel is growing. It's has seen some fairly busy days recently, and there's a good number of regulars that come and go. Good news.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I think I'll hop back on then.

My computer was on the fritz lately so I reinstalled Windows 2000.
so much faster

than Vista. :dead

EDIT:
One thing I forgot to ask.

I keep getting promoted or whatever by members already on, but how do I register with the server or whatever?

In other words, how do I have that green dot next to my name every time I log on?
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

That would require CorpseGrinder to get ChanServ to auto-op you. At the moment, only CorpseGrinder and NY have auto-op. It's a bit of effort to just set everyone to auto-op.

EDIT: Also, Win2K is one of the best versions of Windows ever.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Well from what I remember, I had to register for some kind of an account. Then CorpseGrinder could set auto-op for me.

And yes, the channel has been quite populated in the latest days. Maybe not 24/7 but there has been some time, at least almost every day. There have just been 8 clients, including me, before myself leaving the channel.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Yeah, you also have to register with NickServ, and then you can. Registering with NickServ is a bit inconvenient for Mibbit users though, as you have to identify yourself each time, other IRC clients have an auto-command list for doing that on startup.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Sorry to double-post, but no-one minds if I get a bot running in the channel to auto-op everyone? (Not random passers-by, but everyone from here, anyway.)