To build a Neural Stunner...

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

To build a Neural Stunner...

Post by XkyRauh »

Alright. I've got the pogo stick, the red hi-tops, the helmet, the jeans, the belt... I'm working on the shirt, and I know what I'm going to use for the watch...

But I need advice and ideas on how to build that darn Neural Stunner.

Ceilick recommended I start with a water pistol, which seems like a good idea--there's a few online retailers who can get me a mostly green one, and from there a little model paint and some modification can make it work...

But I'm looking for other ideas, too. What would you recommend for building a replica Neural Stunner? :)
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

A block of foam and some sheets of fiberglass... probably would be a little too much work, though.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Get one of those ball toys with long rubber feelers sticking out everywhere. You know, kind of like Chuzzle. And then find a way to fire them off with your neural stunner. :P
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Just thought of this: if you want something that actually shoots, something like this would work well http://www99.shopping.com/xPO-Kids-Only-Disc-Shooter
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Not looking for actual shooting capability; it's more about the LOOK of it, right?

I don't have the tools/time to do fiberglass (though my dad does have experience working with molds...) so I was hoping for something I could do with like model glue and bits of other items, I guess.
Mr. 314
Vortininja
Location: If I knew Do you really think I'd actually tell you???

Post by Mr. 314 »

meh, when i was like 10 i did something like this, and all i did was make a great big paper mache model of the thing. turned out pretty well considering
time's wasting and evil doesn't thwart itself
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

My girlfriend made this one out of popsicle sticks, cardboard and masking tape for Halloween many years ago. It's painted red and can still take out a garg at 10 paces.

GUNS R SEXY OK
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

:lol

But anyway, I guess I too would suggest starting with a water pistol of some sort, I just can't think of anything else.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Stylish chin hair going on there, Kepple. :P

I always wanted to make one out of aluminum.
Just like... get a chunk of aluminum and grind it down to make a nice, shiny ball of aluminum in the shape of the neural stunner. Or you could make a foam cast and melt the aluminum/pour it in. Than just use metal dye to make it green. It would be super shiny, look awesome and have weight and strength to it but not be heavy like steel.

You could always go the el-cheapo way and get a water pistol and paper mache whatever shape you need. :dopefish
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Toomuchsparetime, what you've built is the raygun. The Neural Stunner is the green one.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

DHeadshot wrote:Toomuchsparetime, what you've built is the raygun. The Neural Stunner is the green one.
Not in the Keen 6 title screen. :p
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Genius314 wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:Toomuchsparetime, what you've built is the raygun. The Neural Stunner is the green one.
Not in the Keen 6 title screen. :p
I hadn't noticed that before. In the game it's green anyway.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Hypothesis: Keen tried painting his neural stunner red, but didn't like the effect once he actually saw it and removed the paint.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Actually, as an item in the game, it's green. When he uses it, it's yellow. When it's in the title screen, it's red.
:confused
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Genius314 wrote:Actually, as an item in the game, it's green. When he uses it, it's yellow. When it's in the title screen, it's red.
:confused
Wow, I didn't notice that before! Thanks XkyRauh for trying to build a stunner! :-D