keen sounds

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
xtraverse
Stranded Fish

keen sounds

Post by xtraverse »

Anyone have WAVs or some other format for all of the sound effects used in the keen games? If so, could you upload it somewhere or email to me?

Oh, and not the ones in this pack: http://www.dosclassics.com/download/249 which I think is just keen 4 sounds. So basically I guess I need Keen 1 sounds.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

If you're running Windows my old FileView shell extension can extract the sounds in .wav (you just open sounds.ckx in Windows Explorer as if it's a folder, and inside it'll contain a bunch of .wav files.)

http://www.shikadi.net/old/fileview/
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Huh! Never heard of this util before--looks useful for stuff in general.
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

I managed to miss this too, or maybe I just dismissed it, thinking it was something different.
I'll have to try it, now that I know it exists. :)
Retodon8
Sheep happens
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

I compiled several, and since I'm compiling them again for another Keener, would you want my copies of in the WAV format?

(You'd have to get them off of MSN, and the file would be huge)
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
Veke
Grunt

Got em

Post by Veke »

I have the sound effects on my computer. I don't remember where I found them, but here they are: http://www.mediafire.com/?ba2wmgotmen
123RZ456
Grunt

Post by 123RZ456 »

i cant get fileview to work :(
icons are still blank and it still tells me to reboot when i launch shrefrsh.exe it says You may need to close and re-open windows for changes to take effect. i restart windows and nothing. >:
123RZ456
Grunt

Post by 123RZ456 »

won't work :(
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Sadly it's kind of bust on more modern versions of windows. You can try running it in compatibility mode for XP or windows 98.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
123RZ456
Grunt

Post by 123RZ456 »

I'm on xp, i made the folder on C:\Program Files called FileView and i extracted the contents of FileView into the folder and ran the registry, but after rebooting, nothing happened, the files have blank icons and an error pops up when i double click them, like the .ck4 or .ck5 icons.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Huh. Well that sucks.

I have .wavs of all the 4-6 sounds, but the adlib (Not PC) sounds don't play right.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.