Atroxian Realm (Version 1.1 Released)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Atroxian Realm (Version 1.1 Released)

Post by K1n9_Duk3 » Wed May 15, 2019 20:46

stayfrosty wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:34
I'd read that there were 24 levels and 23 x3UP. Just assumed the first level was the one without...
Syllypryde wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 14:10
As Nisaba said, and as Gridlock himself says in the endgame sequence, there is a 3up in all 24 levels. I have beaten the game and I can assure you all 24 3ups are reachable.
The game has 26 levels total (24 if you don't count the world map and the high score level). One of these 24 levels is reserved for the boss battle and that's the only one of them that doesn't have a 3-Up in it. The boss battle has its own level due to memory limitations and is more or less part of the Sky Sactum level. If you exit to the world map during the boss battle, you have to re-play the Sky Sanctum level to get to the boss again.

That means there are 23 unique 3-Ups in the game. Since the BWB level and the Sky Sactum can be played and finished multiple times, the 3-Ups in those levels could be collected multiple times, but that doesn't count.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net

Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde » Wed May 15, 2019 22:08

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 20:46
One of these 24 levels is reserved for the boss battle and that's the only one of them that doesn't have a 3-Up in it. The boss battle has its own level due to memory limitations and is more or less part of the Sky Sactum level. If you exit to the world map during the boss battle, you have to re-play the Sky Sanctum level to get to the boss again.
Oops, I forgot Level 17 Realm Reactor does not have a 3up because it is the boss where you fight Atroxus. I had also forgotten that you are forced to play Sky Sanctum again if you go back to the world map at the boss level. Thank you for clearing all that up. I have never exited to the world map on Realm Reactor personally, so it never occured to me that Sky Sanctum would have to be replayed.
El Patricio... the Overlord of the Universe!!!

ShikadiQueen
Meep

Post by ShikadiQueen » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:29

My biggest disappointment about this mod is that the game doesn't last forever. It's that good.

I've not been keeping up with this community for quite a while (pretty much since around the time the last episode of Ceilick's TUIT trilogy was released), but recently I had a look around and decided to try this out and I'm just absolutely amazed by the amount of work that went into this mod. To think that it's the late 2010s and people still pour so much love into creating such huge and fun mods for the original Keen games is just incredible. And if I hadn't been told upfront that it was a Keen 4 mod I would've assumed it was a whole new game and wouldn't have started playing the guessing game of which enemies got replaced into what. :P (I saw that final level coming but I never expected it to be as elaborate and tense as it turned out)

I also like how even though it's a source mod, it still keeps the general feel of the original Galaxy games enough to feel like a sequel that would fit right in with them. The attention to detail in the graphics, music and level design is also something I can't praise enough. Not to mention that the story really kept me going and at every point in the game I felt the urge to find out what would happen next. It's just all around amazing, so good job to Gridlock and everyone else involved, and I hope a full sequel materializes some day! I've just started playing the Alphamatic in the meantime.

Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 23:54

Thank you for the kind words!
I hope a full sequel materializes some day!
Me too!

It is something I work on occasionally, though at a snail's pace. Since it's planned to be a fangame in Unity rather than a mod, there's a colossal amount of engine building and R&D I have to get through. There's a thread with some discussion if you haven't seen it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4093
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086