"Forgotten Galaxy" -Rescue Of The Last - DEMO

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

"Forgotten Galaxy" -Rescue Of The Last - DEMO

Post by Bubzrulz »

Finally i have a full demo for you to enjoy 4 full levels (my 1st mod so i thought having 4 levels will better show what my mods will be like)

"Forgotten Galaxy" -Rescue Of The Last - takes place just after Secret of the Oracle

story is there was one last oracle council member that Commander keen needs to rescue

hope you enjoy it

Rescue

cheers bubsy :evil :evil
Last edited by Bubzrulz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 0:31, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: "Forgotten Galaxy" -Rescue Of The Last - DEMO

Post by Roobar »

Guys, this demo will bring back the Keen 2000 nostalgia feeling :crazy

Things I like: the stunning stars above enemies.

I think Level 3 is not possible to be beaten without cheats.
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

Roobar wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:04 I think Level 3 is not possible to be beaten without cheats.
it can be done it just takes a while it is a big level
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

sweet.
you have a totally unique style of designing levels. a lot of tinkering is going on there. And it seems that you have a lot of fun patching things.
following your modding efforts for quite some time now, I can clearly see how you evolve and develop your work!

Like Roobar already have mentioned: the stunning stars are very lovely. I think I'm gonna thieve them for my own mod as well.

Things that bother me a bit are those blind jumps. there are spots where you have to do a leap of faith which can be frustrating. what you can do about it is to lead the way with some candies.
Another thing you might want to work on are doors. I have the impression that doors are the most confusing and disorienting feature in Keen mods in general. In my opinion you need to "reset" your knowledge about your level design and try to imagine someone who is playing this mod for the first time. how can he or she keep track and orientate within a level?

Somehow you don't really care about dimensions, do you?! most borders are lacking a perspective feature. I don't say that this is a bad thing. It just reminds me a lot of the good old Vorticons series. I have seen many Vorticon mods that try to mimic the Galaxy style but I haven't seen it vice versa. except for Benvolio's Torgopolis.

so as always: happy modding!

ps.: I've also noticed that the bored Keen is mooing around! :moon
out now (link) : Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I tried this out, and I can say that I like it. I love the charm it has, it felt like you were just having fun making it and you wanted to share. :) I like how you decided to use Xky's Keen and stun star sprites instead of the original ones (not saying that using the original ones it's a bad thing, although it is quite refreshing to see new ones).

For things that bothered me, I wasn't too big on the fact that if you down the pit in level 2, didn't activate the switch for the platform, and didn't have a gem, you would be unable to beat the level without dying. Also, it seems that if you use the gems on the right side, the level becomes unbeatable. I found the doors to be a bit weird. They were more like portals to me (you could maybe make the doors like that). In level 3, Keen went into some pose and couldn't move at all, resulting with me using the exit cheat. Here's a screenshot:

Anyway, have a fun time finishing your mod! I'm looking forward to seeing the final version.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

Quillax wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 13:09In level 3, Keen went into some pose and couldn't move at all, resulting with me using the exit cheat
cheers i fix this and few more things and if anyone else finds some stuff ill fix that and then reupload it in a few days cheers for finding this little bug :D
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

OK GUY you will need to use the exit level cheat just E to leave to level level 3 I dont know that bug got past me one of those things i guess...i have fixed it but waiting for one more patch to fix a little thing and then ill upload the newer version cheers bubsy
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

ok guys links been updated with the newer version with bugs removed no need to use end level cheat now and few other bugs that others have found fix so its the final demo onto completing full game now cheers guys :dopefish :O
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

This is an interesting sprite design, oh... hmm well...
some of the frames have issues, mainly the pole and enter door way once. what program are you using to work on the sprite?

and the jump pattern alternation to the mushroom is just evil.
i have no idea how many times i have ran into it, when it would normally had jumped...
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

The Keen sprite, Zilem?
Check out this link for more on that:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/XkyKeen4
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

Zilem wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 23:59 This is an interesting sprite design, oh... hmm well...
some of the frames have issues, mainly the pole and enter door way once. what program are you using to work on the sprite?

and the jump pattern alternation to the mushroom is just evil.
i have no idea how many times i have ran into it, when it would normally had jumped...

O YES IT IS EVIL still gets me sometimes!!
id like to know a good sprite modding program too so i can start doing my own instead of borrowing others
troublesomekeen wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 0:59 The Keen sprite, Zilem?
yup thats the stprite i used
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

troublesomekeen wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 0:59 The Keen sprite, Zilem?
Oh, that explains... didn't know it was abandoned.
and was surprised by where the the moon frames was used...

If only we had people with the skill to work with sprites *very Sarcastic*
Bubzrulz wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:44 O YES IT IS EVIL still gets me sometimes!!
id like to know a good sprite modding program too so i can start doing my own instead of borrowing others
I'd Recommend a Photoshop, been using them for 10 years, for modding Character skins, Textures, Sprites and Making Custom character Skins.
Having the whole sprite sheet is great for working with the sprite, although you could use something as msPaint the same way, But msPaint don't have the option for Layers.

The export process is strait forward; save a new document (and adding something like Export to the file name), Merge all layers, duplicate that layer 2 times
1st Layer for Keengraph (Green background), 2nd layer for the Sprite for Modkeen (black background), 3rd Layer for Silhouette for Modkeen (Black sprite, white background)
> Sprite for Modkeen: Select the Green background with the magic tool and turn it Black
> Silhouette: select the background and Green background with the magic tool, hit Ctrl+Shift+i, to the inverted selection and turn it Back and then select the green and turn that white
-
Finally copy said frame from the export document in the variant you want, onto the original frames .bmp file.
this is the process i use for Keen and Bio menace sprites
Here is an Example - Requires a Photoshop to open the .psd files
Feel free to use the Photoshop sprite sheet.

Speaking of Photoshops: Gimp, Paint.net

Edit: Fixed link
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

CKeen wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 19:38 http://jimage.org/keen/playmod/?mod=ROTL play online!

now thats awesome cheers :drool :drool :D :D
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

after a 3 or so yr hiatus I'm back here is my new demo and door showcase read the read me for some info on it :crazy :crazy hope you all enjoy

EDIT just fixed a little things the zip file has been updated :foot
Last edited by Bubzrulz on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:33, edited 1 time in total.