Mink's Puzzle Pack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Mink wrote:That's very odd...did you try unzipping it with the default Windows (you run Windows, right?) extractor (i.e. right click folder, select extract all)? I zipped it with 7zip and haven't had any trouble unzipping. What program finally did the trick?
Actually, it did not work properly. As much as I have played mods, I should have known I would need to load the .bat file. The extraction worked with IZArc, but for some strange reason every time I extract, puzzle.bat is missing! I am going to try 7zip to unzip the files.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Latest version has go5.bat instead of puzzle.bat, just in case that's the issue. (can't imagine it is, but...)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Hahahahahaha! I can't believe I missed this while beta testing! Wow.

Image Image Image
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Syllypryde wrote:
Mink wrote:That's very odd...did you try unzipping it with the default Windows (you run Windows, right?) extractor (i.e. right click folder, select extract all)? I zipped it with 7zip and haven't had any trouble unzipping. What program finally did the trick?
Actually, it did not work properly. As much as I have played mods, I should have known I would need to load the .bat file. The extraction worked with IZArc, but for some strange reason every time I extract, puzzle.bat is missing! I am going to try 7zip to unzip the files.
Make your own .bat file:
Open up Notepad and copy and paste this:
ck5patch patch5.pat
Make sure "All files" is selected under the 'Save as file type' section.

Call it 'puzzle.bat'

Make sure it's in with the rest of the Puzzle Pack files
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I found out what the problem really was. For some strange reason when I was downloading the .zip file, it was not downloading completely. Now I have downloaded the complete file and I unzipped it with Winzip. It works fine and the game is quite cool. I am playing on easy and I already completed 7 levels, I have learned how to control the clones, and using the SGA clues given in the game, I have already reached the secret level!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I've just tested your mod.
It's just great! One of the best Mods I've ever played! Excellent puzzles, good flow, good difficulty... Great!
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

Hello,

The file with latest release from first post is broken...
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Excellent,buddy.
Yeah, piece of cake!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Commander Spleen wrote:Hahahahahaha! I can't believe I missed this while beta testing! Wow.

Image Image Image
on the 3rd image i can see the platform and 3 popsticks from Keen 9

or not?
Yeah, piece of cake!
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Szymon Bartus wrote:Hello,

The file with latest release from first post is broken...
Doesn't seem broken. The server might have been down temporarily, try again.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

but that's now pointless because of the re-release with the music.
and it makes my saves pointless as well :( (Unless dropping the saves from the old folder into the new one actually works, in which case I'd still rather replay the levels with the music anyway)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

OK, I've downloaded and opened the mod already. Looks good so far.

How do you create those clones? Normal firing gives nothing.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I just watched the demo plays and whoever was running through it (assumably mink) is a wizard! Image
I've deciphered that you're supposed to make a clone jump into the upper wall there. When I make him jump into it, he just disappears.... what am I supposed to make him do in there? Please tell me it's insignificant :dead2
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Ceilick wrote:This is one awesome mod and glad to see it finally released! You've heard most of my praise from beta-testing, but really can't stress enough what a great job you did re-inventing the gameplay: aside from the new puzzles, situations that might be 'standard' in normal gameplay take on a completely different perspective with the way the stunner works and the keen 5 atmosphere fits that well.

Plan to play again soon (how much you want to bet I'll fall for the false green gem holder AGAIN Mort LOL)
Thanks! And speaking of Ceilick, everyone, he's responsible for a certain puzzle in the secret level (Bet you never expected to see this again, huh, Ceilick?):
CK Guy wrote:Latest version has go5.bat instead of puzzle.bat, just in case that's the issue. (can't imagine it is, but...)
There's just no pleasing you, is there? First the readme was missing and now this. (I'll fix it in the next release, it was indeed a mistake).
Syllypryde wrote:I found out what the problem really was. For some strange reason when I was downloading the .zip file, it was not downloading completely. Now I have downloaded the complete file and I unzipped it with Winzip. It works fine and the game is quite cool. I am playing on easy and I already completed 7 levels, I have learned how to control the clones, and using the SGA clues given in the game, I have already reached the secret level!
Woot, glad it's working for you now (and that the problem wasn't on my end)! Glad you like it, and looking forward to your full review (should you choose to write one).
KeenFan wrote:I've just tested your mod.
It's just great! One of the best Mods I've ever played! Excellent puzzles, good flow, good difficulty... Great!
Thanks, it was actually pretty hard to balance the difficulty. As it is, easy may be a bit too easy, but then again I consider it a prelude to the harder difficulties (even I sometimes have trouble with Inertial Amplification Lift, Shikadi Master Control and the bonus level on hard).
VikingBoyBilly wrote:but that's now pointless because of the re-release with the music.
and it makes my saves pointless as well Sad (Unless dropping the saves from the old folder into the new one actually works, in which case I'd still rather replay the levels with the music anyway)
You should be able to transfer saves, but I recommend playing again - Mr. M's music is just amazing.
Szymon Bartus wrote:OK, I've downloaded and opened the mod already. Looks good so far.
How do you create those clones? Normal firing gives nothing.
Normal shooting should do it, are you running the batch file, rather than the executable? If that fails, the only thing I can suggest is to redownload the files from the link in the first post, as I don't think anyone else has had this problem
VikingBoyBilly wrote:I just watched the demo plays and whoever was running through it (assumably mink) is a wizard!
I've deciphered that you're supposed to make a clone jump into the upper wall there. When I make him jump into it, he just disappears.... what am I supposed to make him do in there? Please tell me it's insignificant Dead Again
I paid extra attention to the demos, especially after Deltamatic's topic (granted, I didn't follow all of his points, though...), and those took forever to make (you would not believe how hard this game is with two-button firing enabled). And, whoops, sorry about that situation in the pic, that's a totally accidental bug (The sign is referring to something in a different location). I'll fix it for the next release (which is definitely release THREE, not four, by the way).
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Mink wrote:Thanks! And speaking of Ceilick, everyone, he's responsible for a certain puzzle in the secret level (Bet you never expected to see this again, huh, Ceilick?):
So Ceilick is responsible for that section? Remind me to kick his ass next time I talk to him! :bloody I have yet to make it past this section of the level because I cannot get the clones past RoboRed.
Woot, glad it's working for you now (and that the problem wasn't on my end)! Glad you like it, and looking forward to your full review (should you choose to write one).
Not only am I debating whether or not to write a detailed review, I am also debating on whether or not I should start a page for Keen is Clueless as well as AAMBA on the KeenWiki.
I paid extra attention to the demos, especially after Deltamatic's topic (granted, I didn't follow all of his points, though...), and those took forever to make (you would not believe how hard this game is with two-button firing enabled). And, whoops, sorry about that situation in the pic, that's a totally accidental bug (The sign is referring to something in a different location). I'll fix it for the next release (which is definitely release THREE, not four, by the way).
I figured out the SGA clues were on how to control the clones and various other tricks that come in handy, especially in the later, more difficult levels. Because the clones can be controlled, you can save on ammo by using the same clone(s) for multiple tasks, rather than creating a new clone each and every time. The Clone-O-Zappers can come in handy, insuring not too many clones are active at a time. The more clones on the screen, the harder they are to control. In fact, as a test, I actually crashed the game when I cloned too many times!

On the above error mentioned by VikingBoyBilly, once when I used the F10+Y cheat, I noticed there are several small areas enclosed in the walls and are unreachable. One of the cloning tricks available is you can get your clones to pass through thin walls when cloned. If you use this trick on walls that are too thick, you can actually trap clones inside the walls!

As of now, I have 11 levels complete on easy. I am stuck on A Series of Tubes (secret level), and I tried Shikadi Master Control a few times and I have no clue what to do on that level yet. As for the music, it is quite catchy. I might like it better than DITD's soundtrack!

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees