Mink's Puzzle Pack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

KeenWiki link is updated too.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I finished your mod on easy.
I had no problem solving any of the puzzles, though some of them made me think for a while. :-)
I'd still say the difficulty of the puzzles is perfect, and I liked the difficulty of the game itself, too.

There's just one sort of bug I noticed while playing the levels: The clones do strange things when you can't see them, i.e. walking thorugh walls and getting past the machines that should destroy them. I don't know if that can be fixed, though.

So once again, thank you for this great mod. I really enjoyed playing it and I'm still suprised what you did to the engine. :-)

Keep up that great work!
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I'm glad you that you like it and found the difficulty balanced, Keenfan. It took quite some time to get the right mix of puzzles, enemies, and hazards.

Regarding the bug, it stems from the game engine not drawing enemies a certain distance away from the screen. I haven't had clones walk through walls, but they do pass through enemies (and clone-o-zappers, which are actually modified shockshunds). Unfortunately, there's no way I can fix it as of now.

Thanks for taking the time to play through, and I hope you'll think about giving it another play on normal or hard (as the latter is what the game is meant to played on). :)

Also, thanks for updating the link, Tulip. KeenWiki wouldn't be nearly as good/up-to-date without you.
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

Amazing work Mink, very great levels. I can hardly find any 1000/2000/5000 points though.

I'm playing your mod on hard now and I'm at the Intertial Amplification Lift. It's actually the first level that I consider really hard until now. I don't save ingame. The 2 green-doors was a good trick.

Check out my Keens reading :D

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

By saving my game while the Keen clone was lower than me at the bottom of level 8, I have been able to pretty reliably able to make the Keen clone move and the 'real' Keen not move at all until the clone is destroyed. (The screen doesn't move either.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

JackDaniels wrote:I can hardly find any 1000/2000/5000 points though.
You have to look for them in the secret passages. ;) (Granted, there could have been more of these, but still...)
Levellass wrote:By saving my game while the Keen clone was lower than me at the bottom of level 8, I have been able to pretty reliably able to make the Keen clone move and the 'real' Keen not move at all until the clone is destroyed. (The screen doesn't move either.)
Okay, I've tried to reproduce this several times, but it never seems to work for me. Has this happened to anyone else?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Whelp the best place for it is the bottom of level 11, but only for Puzzle Pack 2.

I can't for the life of me figure out what's changed.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Well, I just found a bug:
If Keen shoots when he's right next to an enemy, the clone pops up on the other side of the enemy, and Keen dies (most of the time)!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Jackdaniels, is that your computer? The desktop seems pretty bare for a personal computer (and internet explorer shortcut wasn't deleted and replaced with a firefox/opera shortcut!). Looks more like the kind of computer you'd find in a school lab.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

This isn't a bug! Even if it were, it would be an existing issue with the Keen engine, not with my levels.

Imagine if when you shot the clones appeared exactly where you were. They would be a LOT harder to control. If this means that sometimes clones appear on the other side of enemies, so be it.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Jackdaniels, is that your computer? The desktop seems pretty bare for a personal computer (and internet explorer shortcut wasn't deleted and replaced with a firefox/opera shortcut!). Looks more like the kind of computer you'd find in a school lab.
:O Someone's secret is out!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Jackdaniels, is that your computer? The desktop seems pretty bare for a personal computer
What? Mine's practically empty! Then again, I leave software in the software list, not on the desktop, and downloads go into a downloads folder, not the freakin' desktop.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

If there was at least a desktop wallpaper and not the default azure background I wouldn't be so questionable. There's the possibility it could be an emulator or virtual machine, or it could be a brand spanking new OS. There's so many possibilities it makes me curious. I hate the downloads folder windows defaults all the web browsers for. Or rather, I hate the location, so I set it to the desktop and it gets cluttered. Perhaps a download folder ON the desktop would be a better idea :dopefish
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Three words: SNOW. LEOPARD. STACKS. 8)
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Three words: Macs. Suck. Alot.