Retrosis [Second Incremental Release! July 29, 2010]

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Retrosis [Second Incremental Release! July 29, 2010]

Post by Commander Spleen »

Image Image
Image Image

Download Release 01 (July 29th, 2010)
Download Release 00
New video (June 16th)

In Retrosis you are not Keen. You are an eyeball that can pogo. Instead of shooting, you can duck. And if you get a run-up or jump through the air at a gap in the wall, you can slide.

Due to my intermittent modding habits, this mod is being released on an incremental basis, where bits of the mod are updated and improved through subsequent releases. Currently there are about three or four levels missing and a fair bit of graphical polishing yet to be completed.

New in Release 01
- Some fixed levels, and several new ones, including a tutorial (you'll spot it)
- New map and level entry point graphics
- In-level graphical tweaks
- Ballon bonus works: Collect all five in each level for significant bonus points
- Completing all levels now completes the game (hopefully)
- No Mink-annoying F1 sprite on the title screen
- MUSIC!

The most significant detail of this mod is the music. Thanks to Napalm and lemm, Keen 1-3 mods are now able to have OPL background music, just like Keen 4-6. It changes tracks depending on which level is active.

However, there are only two songs at the moment--both by ZidaneA--and maybe three on the way from DaVince and Mr. M. More are required, so if you're interested in composing some, do let me know.

So go forth and slide and bounce and duck your way to super bouncy slidey ducky victoryyy!
Last edited by Commander Spleen on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:53, edited 4 times in total.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

As I've said before, this is amazingly inventive and high-quality.

Starting it up now, more impressions (and maybe screens) to come.

Edit: Here they are:
Image Image
Image Image
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

This is very trippy. I like it a lot. I've only played a little, but I think this wins for the most creative and yet insane mod I've ever seen.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

This is looking awesome.

Uh oh... I better hurry up with that music. I wish the MIDI songs I made before were properly convertible already... Anyone know the best way to make songs for Keen (or FM synths)? Adlib Tracker and RAD are really confusing and unintuitive, or at least, for the little bit of time I've tried using them...

Edit: nevermind, with the help of a video tutorial I figured out how to use it. Now recreating the songs I made and then I'm off to make some new ones for this mod. :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Huh! I got DOSBox up and running on my new Win7 machine--it didn't cooperate, palette-wise, when running full-screen; all of the light blue became white, which made for a rather horrific amount of clash and flicker when scrolling.

Running it in a window fixed that issue, but my character's hitbox seems to be too large to fit into the single-tile passages scattered about! :(

I like the art style and the consistency of the visuals, though! Looking sharp, Spleen. Your stuff is fun to see. :)
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

You can go through. Just run towards the hole and press the shoot button to duck and slide... sort of like one of the old wario games.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Stealthy71088 wrote:You can go through. Just run towards the hole and press the shoot button to duck and slide... sort of like one of the old wario games.
D'oh! I didn't even realize that "shoot" was mapped to a different button--I tried Two Button Firing and got no result, and figured I hadn't found the right tool yet. Stupid me! :)

That sliding trick is pretty snazzy! Further cheers and praise. :)
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Nice graphics, very uh...original :P Also the new sliding/ducking logic is excellent.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I really like this mod, too. As Grimson already said, the sliding logic is just great! The graphics are nice and makes playing fun. Difficulty is ok for me (I have already passed 3 levels).
But, is it done yet? There are still some unpatched textures, like the stunned Yorp or :dead2 .
And I found out that you can get stuckin level 2 in a way you have to leave the game and start again... :confused

But once again: Great mod!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Edit: nevermind, with the help of a video tutorial I figured out how to use it. Now recreating the songs I made and then I'm off to make some new ones for this mod. Happy
Sveet! I'll get to pestering Napalm again.
I got DOSBox up and running on my new Win7 machine--it didn't cooperate, palette-wise, when running full-screen; all of the light blue became white, which made for a rather horrific amount of clash and flicker when scrolling.
:goth Have you tried it with other mods?
But, is it done yet? There are still some unpatched textures, like the stunned Yorp or Dead Again.
Yep, it's a WIP. It's come a long way since two weeks ago though. I continue to work consistently at it.
And I found out that you can get stuckin level 2 in a way you have to leave the game and start again... Confused
Where is this?
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

XkyRauh wrote:Huh! I got DOSBox up and running on my new Win7 machine--it didn't cooperate, palette-wise, when running full-screen; all of the light blue became white, which made for a rather horrific amount of clash and flicker when scrolling.
Try changing the video driver in dosbox.conf... DOSBox works just fine for me in Windows 7 with the right settings.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Here is the place where I get stuck:

If you jump into the room with the moving thumb, you can't get out.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Looks drool-worthy. :drool Going to try it tomorrow once I'm back in my lair. Now I'll just fyck it...

(Oh, and Spleen finally releasing a new mod, w00t!)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Ohh, I see! Haha, you can't even get out of there with God Mode because I forgot to take out the patch that stops you from flying. :dopekeen
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

DaVince wrote: Try changing the video driver in dosbox.conf... DOSBox works just fine for me in Windows 7 with the right settings.
Thanks, DaVince--surface was giving me palette issues; overlay works like a charm! :D

Spleen, I have to admit, I felt like a champ when I figured out how to get through those halfway-up-the-wall sets of double arrows. :) Run toward it, tap pogo, hold shoot, and glide on through... brilliant! :D