Clouds Unseen

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

As said, this mod made a big impression on me. I wish I was its author, it's so cool. :D It's very different from all other mods, and very funny. Difficult, sure -- I got frustrated at times and used the cheats. Found the jumping bag, by the way. I had a feeling I was playing a mod that was made for adults and not for mere kids -- which was a good thing. The graphics are amazing -- I could easily distinguish a wooden wall from a tile wall! Pretty neat textures considering 16x16 tiles and the colour limit. Some art is rather bizarre, like the gnawing heads. So many good ideas... :drool Some levels like the big one on white background (on map) are really striking. :drool

It will be great to see more SB mods... :dead2
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

This mod really inspired me a lot. I have an awesome idea for the last level of Keen 3 1/4. :drool
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Thanks all. :D I'm flattered, honestly...I had a lot of fun making this and it's nice to hear that the work I put into it is leaving an impression of any kind. Especially since I had no idea at all how everything would be received. Once again, thank you much for the compliments. :)

Also, I've put together an easy (well, easier) version of it...if you download the original version it should now have both easy and hard subfolders. :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Beautiful.

It felt like playing a GB game via emu. I love the style of the mod, and I totally read it up about belugas.

Brilliant.

I'll say something about the levels once I'm through with it.

PS: Does that mean you're at home again, and you could send over Comrade Keen?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

tulip wrote:PS: Does that mean you're at home again, and you could send over Comrade Keen?
Oi...that...

The problem is that the backup drive it's on isn't letting me look at ANY of the files. Not one on the entire drive. And I'm not sure just yet how I'm going to be able to get at it. :( As soon as I get it I'll send it to you for sure though... :) (NOTE: It's unfinished and not very good but I guess that isn't important)
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

This is neat, really like the variety of ways you designed tiles with just he two colors. I laughed pretty hard as the skater poets, I read that in the story and though "uh what" but seeing them was hilarious. Have only beaten the first level so far, will keep trying though.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Just because it's imperative for everyone to know....

I beat that pyramid level. I stopped playing it for a day cuz I was so frustrated and then got through it on my first try just now :crazy

Yeah I know it's not required but I'm just a sucker for 100% perfectionism.

SB what were you thinking with the green version? Is it supposed to be like old game boys? :foot I prefer the classy feel of b&w
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I've gotta say, I'm a sucker for minimalism, so the black/white colour scheme was amazing for me. I lol'd at the "it's in black and white, it's art!" at the start of the story text. It's pretty nifty, all up.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

MOTHER OF FUCL The level near the "non-linear map" sign is a thousand times worse! :x Is the sack or a souvenir hidden there?!?

Why is it these hard levels have nothing but the small, easy map near the bottom had a vital souvenir in it? :dopekeen
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:MOTHER OF FUCL The level near the "non-linear map" sign is a thousand times worse! :x Is the sack or a souvenir hidden there?!?

Why is it these hard levels have nothing but the small, easy map near the bottom had a vital souvenir in it? :dopekeen
Have you tried downloading with the easier version? I still need to know if it's actually any easier or not... :P
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:MOTHER OF FUCL The level near the "non-linear map" sign is a thousand times worse! :x Is the sack or a souvenir hidden there?!?
The sack is not even remotely there. :p Hint: Answer the phone.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Right! Finally did it (23 deaths)

Graphics: On the face of it, rather poor. Monochrome? And yet, when you're immersed in the levels, it's so well done. You have certainly taken a limitation and made it a strength here; your talent with expressions and faces is particularly notable. You make your sprites look very personable, much moreso even than most experienced modders.

Your tiles had a definite GBC or Atari look, from the dawn of games. I almost felt about Monuments of Mars. You left in quite a few little lampshades and tricks and I doubt I found even half of them. Certainly you are an inspiration.

Documentation: text document, story and ending, basic, but still functional. Keen had a lot of story for its time, and you manage to pad out what you have nicely. It's not that you were extensive, but you were thorough. You left nothing of the original game sticking around to ruin the mood. I especially liked the whale previews. Nicely drawn!

Patches: Adequate. Being a strongly patch-oriented person of course I would have appreciated more, I would have liked the music patch, or some new sounds and maybe a few more of your neat tricks, but what you did was good enough. I see you used only the most basic patching utilities and techniques here, but the game itself doesn't rely on patches for its atmosphere, but the graphics, another strength in that department.

Gameplay: In sum, very much like Keen 1. But it doesn't feel like it, the appearance, the way the levels are set out, it disguises this. This doesn't feel to me so much like a Keen game, but rather something more ancient.

LEVELS:

Map: Simple, but functional. The truck sprite was amusing.

Level 1: A nice introductory level, simple to get through and a good start.

Level 2: Some very nice torture tiles in this level.

Level 3: Saw this and eek'd; it took me a try or two to get through here. (Second souvenir!) I don't get the 'non linear' bit though.

Level 4: Dark one. Almost didn't see it. A good simple level, and some very nice use of the dark\light tiles. It gives me ideas indeed for a level or two.

Level 5: The warehouse? The boxes were interesting, but not too much of a challenge.

Level 6: That icecube guy can be a bit of a challenge. It was nice watching your enemies plummet off the bottom of the screen, though some may have hoped there was solid ground there. A compact and neat level. (Also, I'm my own grandpa! It sounds funny I know, but it really is so!)

Level 8: Ice level! Some very nice clear tiles. I can see here why you chose the tiles you did. Another level that gave me ideas.

Level 10: Pyramid level. There was an annoying robot guarding some shots that kept pushing me around. Aside from that, this was perhaps the most Zelda-like level I encountered. Despite being Keen, it *felt* rather different. The fire under the pyramid was a nice touch. Your hint message needed one more space in it. ('thirdand') I mistook this as a clue to what pit to fall down first time. (Augh!) Then I thought some more and found the secret. (The masking could have used some work, I saw myself as I fell down.) That's some cheeky secret levelling! (And the level could be completed as many times as possible! Infinite points and ammo!)

Level 16: Big and dangerous! The jump puzzles were terrible! (As in well designed, but terrible to do, especially with a missing arrow key.)

Secret Level: Color! It was like an oasis in the desert after the blandness of the rest of the palette, very nice!

Summary: A good mod indeed, I haven't seen the like since the Zelda mod!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I'm trying the easy version right now.
The first two levels are much better now, great job!

I'm still not able to do the dark level without cheating in the end: On my computer it's nearly impossible to hit the Ctrl key that soft.
I'll try the other levels soon.

...almost forgot: I got rickrolled by your game! That was so hilarious! :-D
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Is the sack on the ice level? I wasn't daring enough to jump off the cliff at the end after all my hard work getting there. :o

I've been developing a skill at the jump in mid-air off the end of a ledge abilitity in this. Am I almost ready for a new dope? *dies for asking*

edit: read lass's spoilerific post. So it was in the pyramid level I already beat :( I was hoping the hint was referring to something on the world map and I was neurotically pressing ctrl on every tile.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Clouds Unseen is now on the Keen Wiki as well:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Clouds_Unseen