Vinyl Goddess from Mars custom level pack (with a remake of Commander Keen 4 level)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Hisymak
Vortininja

Vinyl Goddess from Mars custom level pack (with a remake of Commander Keen 4 level)

Post by Hisymak »

Hello,
I'm releasing my level pack for a bit forgotten, but pretty colourful and dynamic platforming game from 1995, Vinyl Goddess from Mars.
It has been more than 5 years since I created and released a level editor for this game and released my first level pack which had just two levels.
Today I'm releasing a new version, which has four brand new custom levels for this game. Two of the levels are my own original creations, while the other two are remakes of levels from different games, one of them being a Commander Keen 4 level!
I made this many years ago already and wanted to create more levels, but then I quite lost inspiration. Today I finally got an opportunity to show it to the light of public after all!

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sd0idstxwamf6 ... 2.zip?dl=1
Read me file with more information, instructions and tips is included with the download. Reading it before playing is recommended!

I will be very happy for your comments and feedback!
Also, the level pack is open for contributions from anyone! If you would happen to want to make your own new level for this game, just let me know and I can give you the advice needed, plus include it in the level pack.
There's no official community or forums for this game, so I hope there's anyone around who likes the game as well!

Video of the first level gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GWeph9MhSY

Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: Vinyl Goddess from Mars custom level pack (with a remake of Commander Keen 4 level)

Post by Quillax »

I immediately recognized the Keen 4 level in the last screenshot! That's a cool idea -- recreating a level from one game in a totally different game. Reminds me of when I recreated a few Mario levels and even a Zool level in an old Keen 1 levelpack.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Snortimer
Vortininja

Re: Vinyl Goddess from Mars custom level pack (with a remake of Commander Keen 4 level)

Post by Snortimer »

Nice! I remember playing Xargon (the predecessor to Vinyl Goddess), it was one of my favourites.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
The Shifted One
Grunt

Post by The Shifted One »

I gave it a go.

The first 2 levels were really cool, a bit challenging maybe but the fact that I'm playing new levels for a game I never thought anybody would care for is already great.
The third one I instantly recognized from Hocus Pocus; really cool.
It kept the atmosphere of the original game and all!
The last level was clearly the Cave of Descendants; on of my favorites in Keen 4.

I had a blast going through them and I still haven't 100% found all red orbs so I still got some work cut of for me.

You have my thank for creating these!
Existence is futile!