Keen 64: Gameplay Demo

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

CK Guy wrote:This new system is definitely an improvement. Keen's movement definitely seems more natural than in the classic one, and I also like it better than the fps one. Nice work! It's good to see that you're still working on this project.
Thanks dude!!! I am so happy it's working better than the classic design I put out before, that gives me alot of motivation!

@XkyRauh Before I can address your review I need to ask a quick question, did you just play the Classic \ Gamepad game or did you download and play the "Prototype" executable that I put out recently?

I was going to guess you were playing Prototype but since you mentioned the classic and gamepad schemes and the way you describe Keen's movements sound like the classic scheme.

If you played the Classic \ Gamepad those controls at this time are obsolete and will be replaced by "prototype" and the gamepad version of "prototype" when that version is finished.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Lava: Whoops! I'm so sorry. I thought the packaged deal included the new Prototype. I goofed. This new Prototype is much much much better! My only complaint with it is the lack of a "turn without moving" feature. Trying to climb the little path of cylinders to the left of the starting point was tricky because pressing left-right caused Keen to walk off the sides!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Ahh ok, well that makes sense. It's ok man :) As long I know that is what happened, lol.

Thanks for pointing that out, I *might* reduce the speed of the turn radius when you press left.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

It's not the speed of the turn--it's the fact that Keen actually MOVES, rather than rotates. Compare to the FPS controls, where you can whip the mouse left and right to change Keen's facing without moving his legs.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

XkyRauh wrote:It's not the speed of the turn--it's the fact that Keen actually MOVES, rather than rotates. Compare to the FPS controls, where you can whip the mouse left and right to change Keen's facing without moving his legs.
Yes but completely removing any side movement will not give the game as much smooth gameplay, in my opinion. As it's not impossible to get up those cylinders, you just have to position yourself right by moving backwards and just to the side to make the right jump.

I believe the "turn first then go forward" works for the FPS version better but not the Classic, because with FPS you can move and turn at the same time, whereas with the keyboard it takes a little longer to move around.

But it's the community's call, if enough of you guys want me to remove the movement made when turning sideways I will remove it. It's not that big of a deal to me, it's just my personal preference to keep the movement.
Last edited by Lava89 on Wed May 21, 2008 2:46, edited 1 time in total.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

One vote for "rotate in place" movement. :)
Either that or additional controls for strafing...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

First of all, glad to see you're still doing something with this. :)

As for the new movement, it's nice, but it gets difficult if standing on those 'barrels' as there's not much space to move and it's thus easy to fall if chancing direction. I prefer Keen to be able to turn around without moving. For movement, I think it could work well if the FPS movement could be achieved with normal keys. That is, Keen's direction could be altered in air with the arrow keys, ctrl would be the jump key, and so on. :)

The camera can't follow if running and jumping up the 'stairs' too fast. Also, it could be interesting if the camera were a bit more distant, as in the original games there's plenty of other things visible than just Keen.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Hey guys

I released 0.3, this has a fix for the FPS version (it clamps the camera so you can't go below the ground, as szevvy pointed out before), along with the new stuff from the prototype, now implemented into the Classic and Gamepad versions. All bug fixes are noted on the first post of this thread.

Version 0.3:
http://files.filefront.com/Keen64Gammaz ... einfo.html
KeenRush wrote:First of all, glad to see you're still doing something with this. :)

As for the new movement, it's nice, but it gets difficult if standing on those 'barrels' as there's not much space to move and it's thus easy to fall if chancing direction. I prefer Keen to be able to turn around without moving. For movement, I think it could work well if the FPS movement could be achieved with normal keys. That is, Keen's direction could be altered in air with the arrow keys, ctrl would be the jump key, and so on. :)
Sideways movement has been omitted. ;)
KeenRush wrote: The camera can't follow if running and jumping up the 'stairs' too fast.
Fixed...before I tried to do it so the camera wouldn't follow Keen as much when jumping because it was harder to see things and where Keen was going, but like you pointed out, this new system didn't follow Keen that well when he was going up high fast.

So I think with this newest update I found the middle of the road, the camera keeps it's distance but follows Keen to a degree.
KeenRush wrote: Also, it could be interesting if the camera were a bit more distant, as in the original games there's plenty of other things visible than just Keen.
I'll have to think about that one, if I was to implement something like that it would probably be just something that would zoom the camera out.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

This is very good... my only comment would be to reduce the animation speed of Keen's turning, or make the rotation faster. The screen isn't rotating enough for the speed of his animation motions. :)

Great job!
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

This is coming along nicely. The new version is much better, but I agree with Xky that the turning animation speed should be slowed down a little.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

this is good, the first interesting, easy to play 3d keen game ive seen.