Commander Keen on DeviantArt!

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Fireraptor wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote: btw, why is this in Release Forum?
Well the Release Forum did say: "Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation."

So I thought that was the appropriate place to post this.
It's a Keen-related creation isn't it? and it sorta counts as a new website.
Bah, ignore VBB. :p
Most of us don't really care where topics end up. The forums are small enough that it doesn't really matter most of the time.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

And mods can move a topic if it's far out of place. This one aint out of place :P
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Makes perfect sense to me. Almost makes me wish I had a DA page. I shall spread the news.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Too bad Deviant Art turned into a pile of crap.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Everyone says that about everything. Yotube's star system sucks, DA's many new interfaces suck, Facebook's new security settings suck, LinkedIn was better before profile pictures... Is there any website where people are going 'Hey! Something changed! Looks great!'?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I've got the feeling, that I always have: Professional designers (meaning commercial designers) that work for those big sites care a lot more for the psychologically best placement of ads, and the possibility of market analysis data from their sites than usability.
New features are normally somewhere between shiny and shiny, and do usually nothing but introduce a small ad screen or banner somewhere.
Also they have an interest in making the interface more complicated, because they can charge their sponsors based on the amount of clicks, so the more clicks needed for a simple task the better.
The most interesting part of this tendency is that those people are also paid to keep those changes with their clear commercial intent subtle enough that the normal user doesn't spot said intent. So why are those changes ALWAYS so obvious? (Btw, the same analysis works for other things, like food franchises)

This rant aside, I think it's still possible to maneuver through DA and find a bunch of cool artwork, so I'm pro-Keenfans on DA, although I won't open an account on DA.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

levellass wrote:Is there any website where people are going 'Hey! Something changed! Looks great!'?
There's at least one...

I was never much of a fan of DA's style at first, particularly the 3+ page submission form that had to be filled in for every image. Then that changed and it was good for a while, but in the end I found it more effort to maintain a gallery there than make my own site. Plus there's something about the place that makes it tiring for me to view artwork. Probably the amount of stuff that's irrelevant to my interest that needs to be ignored.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Probably the amount of stuff that's irrelevant to my interest that needs to be ignored.
I have this same problem, and though I like to browse images in DeviantArt (in fact, I have found plenty of the images I have used as my avatars/sigs from DA, including those I have now) there should be options for censoring images that you would rather ignore (based on which category they belong to).

Or have I just missed such feature so far? :confused
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Levellass wrote:Everyone says that about everything. Yotube's star system sucks, DA's many new interfaces suck, Facebook's new security settings suck, LinkedIn was better before profile pictures... Is there any website where people are going 'Hey! Something changed! Looks great!'?
The problem with Youtube is now that they've got rid of the star system. That and the fact that it's now only fully compatable with FF3.6 and Google Chrome. The New Wikipeda is worse though. Old Wikipedia worked on any browser on Earth. The new one only works properly of FF3.5 onwards - all versions of IE have issues and if you have any browser other than the big 2, you're in for a lot of trouble...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I never liked Youtube's star system, people voted 5, or 1, hate or love. It was even worse than Newgrounds.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Levellass wrote:I never liked Youtube's star system, people voted 5, or 1, hate or love. It was even worse than Newgrounds.
Yeah, I like the thumbs up/down system much better.
The only thing I don't like now are all the stupid comments like "56 people missed the like button!!111"
I can't believe most people hate the system, though.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I see nothing wrong with it either.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I agree...on most websites with 5-star systems the system is horribly abused. In almost all cases people are too opinionated to vote anything except 5 or 1. This just caters to that polarized-ness :P
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

I used to use the Youtube star system as it was intended to be used, but I much prefer the new system!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Levellass wrote:Everyone says that about everything. Yotube's star system sucks, DA's many new interfaces suck, Facebook's new security settings suck, LinkedIn was better before profile pictures... Is there any website where people are going 'Hey! Something changed! Looks great!'?
All those websites are made of suck. That's WHY.
Least of which is You Tube because it has the least amount of Ad's. For now.

I meant that DA really went downhill with talking advertisements, intrusive advertisements and the introduction of this llama garg.
Genius314 wrote:
Levellass wrote:I never liked Youtube's star system, people voted 5, or 1, hate or love. It was even worse than Newgrounds.
Yeah, I like the thumbs up/down system much better.
The only thing I don't like now are all the stupid comments like "56 people missed the like button!!111"
I can't believe most people hate the system, though.
I could care less because no one ever votes on / watches my videos. :P
Commander Spleen wrote:I was never much of a fan of DA's style at first, particularly the 3+ page submission form that had to be filled in for every image. Then that changed and it was good for a while, but in the end I found it more effort to maintain a gallery there than make my own site. Plus there's something about the place that makes it tiring for me to view artwork. Probably the amount of stuff that's irrelevant to my interest that needs to be ignored.
The only reason I stay there is because most of my artwork IS ALREADY there and my blog is also on that site.

But god-damn people are so fucl RUDE to me on DA and won't let me submit what I want to without some snide comment. I'm so close to not-giving-a-damn and leaving DA for good.