Aliens Ate My Little Sister!

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

DaVince wrote:In that case I'd like to translate to Dutch, if no one's done that yet. :)
Well, no one sent me a dutch translation yet... In fact, there are no finished translations that I know of, except for German and English.

Announcement:
Next version of KEENGINE will come with better support for translations, letting you change some strings that are still hard-coded now.

It will also feature a new version of the Text Viewer, that will let you simply press F5 to reload the text file and all the images, thus making it a lot easier to edit the text files.

Question:
What would you think will be better: Putting the names of the Levels in the laguage file, or putting them in another file where you declare the title for each language.

The first might be easier to do now, but then, you can't re-use the language files for mods without having to edit them.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Put all language strings in a single file. If anything, an INI file for languages would be optimal, where you can create different groups for different parts of the game. For example:

Code: Select all

[menus]
NewGame=New Game
LoadGame=Load Game
SoundVolume=Sound volume
Score=Score:

[story]
eatveggies1=MOM: You've got to eat your vegetables, son!
eatveggies2=BILLY: But mooooom, I don't want to! They taste bad!
The above in an XML style file works too...

Code: Select all

<translation language="NL">
  <section name="menus">
    <item name="NewGame">New Game</item>
    <item name="LoadGame">Load Game</item>
  </section>
</translation>
Of course, these are conceptual. I haven't checked how you're actually handling translation, I'm just giving some suggestions.

I'm in Windows now, by the way, so I'll check it in a bit.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Not bad I must say, I really admit your engine. Nice work!
Having fun developing stuff...
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

This is cute! A couple requests, though:

Currently, I can only jump/pogo with the leftmost Ctrl/Alt keys. Usually when I play Keen, I use the rightmost Ctrl/Alt keys--the ones next to the arrow keys. :) It feels really unnatural to me to do the opposite. Can you include support for the other Ctrl/Alts?

Currently, the Blooguards and other multi-hit enemies do not flash white when they're hit by Keen's shots. Any chance of giving them that graphical hit-confirmation? :)

This runs very smoothly, and I like how easy it is to run in Windows7. Good job so far!!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

XkyRauh wrote:Currently, I can only jump/pogo with the leftmost Ctrl/Alt keys. Usually when I play Keen, I use the rightmost Ctrl/Alt keys--the ones next to the arrow keys. :) It feels really unnatural to me to do the opposite. Can you include support for the other Ctrl/Alts?
I already did. Why does no one seem to be reading the help texts that I put so much work into? Anyway, just go to the configure menu and redefine the controls to your needs.
XkyRauh wrote:Currently, the Blooguards and other multi-hit enemies do not flash white when they're hit by Keen's shots. Any chance of giving them that graphical hit-confirmation? :)
Making them flash white is a bit tricky to do and would require to replace all the pixels of the sprite images with white pixels. Then I'd have to include this all-white sprite image to the Actor classes and rewrite big parts of the drawing code. That's why I haven't done that yet, but I'll include some extra visual information in one of the next releases.

Update:
As for the language support, I'm currently adding code to let the language define title and position of all the stuff that's in the status screen (when you press enter in the game). I think, I'll get this done by the end of the day.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

A new version of the fangame is available here.

Image Image

As you can see in the screenshots, you will now see when you hit one of the stronger enemies. And the extended language support is in there, too.

Note: The new version of KEENGINE (v0.37) allows you to create complete Fangames with more than just one level. Contact me if you want to know how to do this.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Hey, that was pretty cool! It definitely took some getting used to the different physics, but overall this is a solid little engine I enjoyed!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

For me everything's moving in slow motion. Even with all the graphics at the lowest settings >:
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:For me everything's moving in slow motion. Even with all the graphics at the lowest settings >:
Well, the lowest settings won't always be the best. For example, the refresh rate pretty much dictates your maximum framerate.

I'm running this on a Core 2 Quad 6600, but I had it working pretty fine on my notebook, which has a Core 2 Duo T5550 processor built in. I got the maximum 60 fps on that one, too, while testing AAMLS. I didn't do that much playtesting on other (slower) machines. If you're using an old PC with a single core processor, killing other tasks might help. The game itself doesn't use threads and since won't benefit from more than two cores.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Maybe you should update your graphics drivers... The game uses OpenGL, I believe, so if your GL drivers are crap chances are this game will run like crap.

Translation made and submitted! :)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Are other people going to be able to make mods for this engine too?
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Paramultart wrote:Are other people going to be able to make mods for this engine too?
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:Note: The new version of KEENGINE (v0.37) allows you to create complete Fangames with more than just one level. Contact me if you want to know how to do this.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Paramultart wrote:Are other people going to be able to make mods for this engine too?
Yes, they are. I think wiivn already started playing around with the map editor. Dunno how far he's gotten, to be honest. He posted two screenshots over here: https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?p=29138#29138
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

"Download Failed!" for both versions.

Can you reupload?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Sorry! Seems like the HTTP server is currently down. This happened before and I hope it'll all be back up in a few days. In the meantime, I uploaded version 1.1 to my other site. You can get it here:
http://home.arcor.de/k1n9duk3/files/aamls_v11.zip

Please note that I might delete this file once the ohost.de server is back online.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!