Super Mario Brothers 1

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

:confused
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Lol wut.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Looks like it's useless to even mention the issues I found in the game, then.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

CKeen wrote:Looks like it's useless to even mention the issues I found in the game, then.
Ditto.
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:
CKeen wrote:Looks like it's useless to even mention the issues I found in the game, then.
Ditto.
Dim DITTO As Double
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Theres some good stuff here, the mod has potential, but it feels incomplete. There are some bugs, like the hitboxes and the tile properties on the world map. The levels are pretty good, but because of a lack of 'features', I got kinda bored after the first two zones.

I have some suggestions both to make the game more interesting, and to make the game feel less like “keen in a mario costumeâ€￾.

Some suggestions:

-Auto-scrolling screen: Like Paramultart said, this would really add to the mario feel.

-Don't use infinite ammo: I know flower power doesn't run out for mario, but it also works differently in mario: In mario it does not shoot straight, and mario can lose the power pretty easy. Mario's flower power is probably hard to patch in, but I bet some compromise can be done. For example, in your levels I rarely found flower powers, which was good. This makes it so the player has to save the flower power for when they really need it.

-Mushroom/pogo: this was a neat idea but I think a lot can be added to it. I think every time mario dies, he should lose the pogo. Also you can include some tiles, I don't know what, but they remove the pogo/mushroom when mario touches them. Lastly, all the levels should be beatable without the pogo, but the pogo should lead to some secret areas or alternate paths. I think changes like this would make it feel much more like a mario power-up.

-Graphic changes: I think mario should have some sprite changes when he shoots and when he pogos. The easiest would be just changing the color of his hat: when he shoots he has a flower power hat, when he pogos he has some other kind of hat.

-Tile changes: There three tile changes I think are needed. The flames in the castles should be animated and the water should be animated. Additionally, there are some tiles, I think bridge tiles, that should be edited so that mario walks on the bridge, not the ropes (dheadshot pointed this out in the topic in Unofficial games on page 5)

-Death frames: its been suggested a few times, but you should remove the hitboxes from dead enemies so they fall off the map when mario kills them.

-Hitboxes: mario's hitbox is too tall, and some of the hitboxes on the enemies are wrong too. I died several times from enemies without actually touching them because of this.

-The world map: I think the world map really suffers and a better design is necessary. Also the brown blocks have a missing tile property: their right side is not solid when it should be.

-Level exits: make the warp pipe exits foreground

-Enemies: I think you can edit the goomba hitboxes to prevent it from charging and jumping. It'd always be neat to see a patch to allow enemies to kill mario from the side but let him jump on them and kill them, but this sounds kind of complex and not that necessary.

-The wario fights: I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not, but every time I saw wario i just ran past him and won. I'm not sure what to do about this situation, maybe someone has a suggestion to make this more interesting.

That's all I've got right now, hope you'll think about these suggestions for the final version.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Ok, Ceilick has given you a very detailed review, and I feel the same on most of the points.
I really like your leveldesign, especially in the later levels.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I think there were some patches in the K:M forums that made you lose all ammo when dying, and also it may be possible to make you lose ammo when exiting the level.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I have an idea:

- when Mario jumps, i change his sprite to big Mario
- when he shoots, fire Mario in big
Yeah, piece of cake!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

... aaaaaaannnddd there goes any potential this mod ever had. :rolleyes
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Paramultart wrote:... aaaaaaannnddd there goes any potential this mod ever had. :rolleyes
because of my previous 2 idea?
Yeah, piece of cake!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

If you made the sprite change sizes, it could be hard to make sure Mario doesn't have problems with tiles and clipping and make bugs. I don't think the idea makes the mod lose all its potential, though.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Re: Super Mario Brothers 1

Post by DaVince »

This is basic version, just to let you remember.
szemi, post 1 wrote:And it's done!
By which I mean: you should have made clear it's a test version. Perhaps you should have released this unfinished version in the development thread, even. ;)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Yeah, test version.
Yeah, piece of cake!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Coming in I was strongly expecting the goombas to be the yorp replacement and the koopas to be gargs. My fright when a goomba ran across the screen and killed me on the first level was profound.

I feel really awkward when I think I'm playing mario but I'm actually playing keen when the ? blocks don't do anything when you jump into them.Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass