Shmaynoria - UPDATE on PAGE 4! < < <

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I will now say something controversial. You have been warned.

This mod is better than any of Ceilick's.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

DHeadshot wrote:I will now say something controversial. You have been warned.

Right now as I type this Ceilick is making you an enemy in his next mod and is going to find a cool and Keenish way to stun and kill you! :rollin

Do not worry, dude, no one hates you...
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

I'm not going to disagree, but I'm also not going to agree. This mod is one of the best recent endeavors. That said, Ceilick also has at least a dozen mods that are simply fantastic. This is definitely in my top 10 and while I won't say I'd rank it ahead of Ceilick's stuff, I'd say it's definitely as good.
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I'm not going to disagree, but I'm also not going to agree.
You will be an innocent casualty of the ensuing mod war.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

I guess more what I meant was I do disagree, but I'm not going to try to force my opinion on DHeadshot...I don't really think Shmaynoria is significantly better than a lot of Ceilick's stuff, but I also understand that some people like the style more than that of some of Ceilick's stuff...fair enough...I think they are about even. That's all. :P (Don't kill me Spleen!!!)
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The Keen Commander wrote:
I'm not going to disagree, but I'm also not going to agree. This mod is one of the best recent endeavors. That said, Ceilick also has at least a dozen mods that are simply fantastic. This is definitely in my top 10 and while I won't say I'd rank it ahead of Ceilick's stuff, I'd say it's definitely as good.
Really? I thought this was just going to be the same thing he released before with tiny bugfixes, so I didn't bother. But now you guys make me curious how much has changed.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
The Keen Commander wrote:
Really? I thought this was just going to be the same thing he released before with tiny bugfixes, so I didn't bother. But now you guys make me curious how much has changed.
It's a proper game now - lots of extras, etc, as well as just this feeling that it fits so well together. Basically, it seems to have crossed the line beteen Keen Mod and Keen Game...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

You can't really say that one is better than the other, seeing as they are two completely different classes of things. You cant really compare a Vorticons-era mod with a Galaxy-era mod, because they have diferent graphics, music, patching, and everything else capabilities. Although, I have to say that this is above and beyond any other vorticons mod that I've seen, largely because of the (very good) music. But comparing, say, graphics- of course without knowing what they were, a person would almost always say that a galaxy graphic would be better that a vorticons graphic. Thats just a fact, due to advanced capabilities in galaxy... you normally cant compare music, for obvious reasons, and anything else is debatable. But I can't categorize the two as the same, so there's no way to pick a favorite from the 2, by my opinion.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I think you guys are being a bit generous, although I must say I appreciate the (overly) positive response. :D

When I said "Shmaynoria > Keen 9", I was being VERY sarcastic, and I wasn't expecting anyone to take it seriously or even agree with that to any extent. I hugely respect Ceilick and his godlike TH-worthy mods, so any slanderous comments are obviously just hyperbole.

Anyway... After releasing this, I began to notice countless problems, particularly the flag-zones still act as semi-functional teleporters that take you out to space.
Ripping out the entire ending was a bad choice, and especially a waste of the music I recorded for it... So yeah...

Feel free to make suggestions or point out bugs at this point, as I will probably release a "final" version. :)

So yeah... Thanks for the positive comments.

I won't expect anyone to play through this mod for a THIRD time when the final release is done, but I will do everyone the favor of releasing the game with save-points for every other level so you can just skip to the ending if you've already played the game.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Maybe put cheats back in and release an easy version for those of us who... um... me. :(
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Whaaaat? I dumbed this mod down sooo much, and people still think it's hard?? :O
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Not people. Me. :|! I can't play the originals or their mods nearly as well as goodbye galaxy...
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I guess I can understand that... The physics were drastically improved int he Galaxy engine to the point they're flawless, whereas in Vorticons they're rather primitive and even sometimes glitchy. (ie. If you try to stop pogoing by hitting the opposite direction, it will actually lunge you forward in the direction you do not want to go. This really stands out to be frustrating on the Giraffe level)
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

I know the feeling :birthday :lol
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

GARGapplesauce wrote:You cant really compare a Vorticons-era mod with a Galaxy-era mod, because they have diferent graphics, music, patching, and everything else capabilities...But comparing, say, graphics- of course without knowing what they were, a person would almost always say that a galaxy graphic would be better that a vorticons graphic. Thats just a fact, due to advanced capabilities in galaxy...
Going to have to disagree. Graphically, people can do everything in Keen vorticons that can be done in Keen Galaxy. For similar 2.5d style, my mod Perilous Pursuit is an example. An example of quality arguably better than Keen Galaxy can be found in Xky's Keen: Dash.

I do agree that its hard to compare galaxy to vorticons in terms of the mods in their entirety, because Keen vorticons and keen galaxy are essentially two different games. It's kind of a stretch, but it'd be like comparing a mario mod to a keen mod. The only people, in my opinion, who could make a comparison with any accuracy are those who have modded both (and I'm at the top of that list :p) or have a deep understanding of what the capabilities of each game engine are.

Looking forward to your final release, Paramultart, because yeah, lack of ending was a real bummer considering the...bizarre expectations I had after reading the story.