Commander Keen: Fall Up ("Mystery Mod") released..

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

O man this mod breaks my nerves.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

Just got to the secret level!!! :D
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

The Keen Commander wrote:Just got to the secret level!!! :D
Is that before or after you died 436 gargin' times?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

Is that before or after you died 436 gargin' times?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Very much after. :dead2

Now I'm stuck on the final level. :bloody

But I beat everything other level so far! :D
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I have to hand it to you, KR, this is definitely the most marvelous Keen mod I've played in a long long long time. The graphics are great - stark and minimalistic yet also clearly high-quality - and the puzzles are hard to win at first but then you finally get that click, but most of all, this is just so much fun. Moving through the levels under the effects of all the different gravities is so fresh and neat.

I've played through the whole thing probably fifteen times in the past month, and it's managed to stay fresh each time. I think this is because each puzzle, while there is a special idea and trick behind each one, requires you to also pull off some tricky platforming. So even once you know all the ins and outs of the puzzles, you can't just breeze through them.

My favorite level is definitely level07, as flying around like that is such a blast, especially since the fast-paced 'get it in one go with no time for a break' serves to shake things up from the earlier levels. Honorable mention goes to the secret level since it was definitely not anything I was expecting :lol

Oh, and maybe the greatest thing about Fall Up, aside from the brilliance and freshness of the level design, is that it feels like there is virtually no filler content, no extra padding at all. Each little puzzle exercises new tricks or makes you use old ones in new combinations and feels worthwhile - there's none of that 'why did i just do this thing again found in a fair amount of mods/games.

P.S. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this - it's so cool my fingers were frozen. 8)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Cheers Mink, I was awaiting your comment as I heard you like the mod. :)

And thanks to everyone else for your kind comments! I'm still surprised by how much people like this mod and my puzzles. :yorp It seems it was worthwhile to make it.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Starting to get the hang of this mod. Was stuck on level 5 for ages, but finally got it figured.

You should really throw some snakes in with that teal door. If you don't think to get the key at the very start, you end up stuck in there with no way to die.

<tulip81> well or explode brain
<tulip81> ctrl+alt
<Spelln> orite, Ctrl+Alt. Forgot about that.

Also, one other thing: It bugs me that you use the infinite lives patch and not the level score patch. High scores are even more meaningless than the original games.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

So I didn't start this mod until way after everyone else, didn't garg until way after everyone else, and didn't post about it until way after I finished it.

BUT.

Excellent job, KeenRush. This was a really neat use of modified physics. Throughout playing this I kept thinking "Wow I really want to make some levels with this physics" and then I kept thinking "Bah I could never make cooler puzzles than these."

In a word: Excellence.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I'm posting somewhat late as well :P

Oh well, it's true that, up to this day, if I played Keen, it'd be Galaxy/Aliens way more than Vorticons; Modifications are included. Quite recently, though, I got to try out "Fall Up". Truly, I knew about it on the day of release, more or less. But only recently I found out some time to play.

Beginning to play it, not sure what kind of modifications would I see... Well, initially, I figured out how can certain objects affect Keen's gravity (or whatever you'd call it). Maybe not a whole surprise as I do recall hearing something about it in some MOD; Almost surely this MOD (:P). I got to realize not long afterwards: There are no "usual" enemies as in the original unmodified Keen episodes. This is basically a new kind of a game; More like a puzzle game.

While I didn't exactly expect a puzzle kind of a MOD, it's also true I didn't know what to expect at all. I liked what I got. It's nice to solve puzzles; Sometimes less challenging, sometimes more, but it's all good in general. Just like other kinds of puzzle games I got to play (think of Boulder Dash, or to be more accurate: a clone of it known as Supaplex).

It's true that I almost missed the secret level. At some point I realized that in a certain level I completed, there appeared to be some path I didn't go through (and I don't recall missing such a notable path in any other level). Luckily, I didn't progress so much and also had enough saved games :)
It did take some time, again, to complete the level; Only this time going for the secret level. I recall it being somewhat more challenging (shouldn't be a surprise...), but eventually I go over there. The secret level got unlocked!
Without really spoiling anything, I can tell that after playing many of the 'ordinary' levels, I liked the secret level :)

Now, the alternate PC Speaker sound effects are nice and seem to fit well in the MOD. I also liked the ending sequence; Short or not short, it had kind of funny stuff :)

To finish, I don't recall encountering any notable bug; Maybe unless it's an original Keen bug.

While most ppl wouldn't read this on time, maybe I'd mention the following: In order to end the game, you don't have to complete all levels (yes, even when the secret level is excluded). If you don't want to repeat the latest level just because of that... well I can tell two things:
1. Use your intuition to guess which level is the latest :)
2. While there are enough levels where I wouldn't remember how to complete them, I've just retried completing the latest level a few hours ago, and has been successful :)

To summarize: Good job with "Fall Up"! It was fun to play it!
Checking it out, so far it seems to me that both KeenRush and lemm have been involved, each in his own way.
If there's anybody else I haven't mentioned, sorry then!
Congrats to everybody who was involved with bringing "Fall Up" to life!

OH AND A LITTLE WORD OF WARNING: "Fall Up" IS literally addicting! :)
Again, just like other puzzle games, apparently...

EDIT: Ah, after going over this thread I could see something that I've forgotten! Truly, there is no finite amount of "Keens" you get and no actual chance of having a real "Game Over", unless you end the game manually :P
For this MOD it's appropriate. In a certain sense, this little change makes the MOD even more similar to a "casual" puzzle game.
Also, I haven't forgotten the graphics! There were all fitting with the MOD. Combined with the sound effects, it's really, practically, a new game. Oh well, we still have the Keen character of course. But that shouldn't be a surprise, it's still a Keen MOD afterwards :D
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks guys! Feel free to make levels sometime CK Guy. :p They'd be welcome.
NY00123 wrote:While most ppl wouldn't read this on time, maybe I'd mention the following: In order to end the game, you don't have to complete all levels (yes, even when the secret level is excluded).
This is on purpose. I wanted to keep the players sort of aimless. (And most still seemed to play every level, just like I was hoping they would. :))
NY00123 wrote:Checking it out, so far it seems to me that both KeenRush and lemm have been involved, each in his own way.
Well, (I know this sounds prideful :o) I wouldn't say lemm was really involved, he never knew of this mod and the one-byte patch he made and posted at K:M was not even usable to me directly because of a routine I had to make to allow changing values in-game. (But still a good thing he did find it, otherwise I would never have tried changing that value and gotten this idea.) This was a one-man project.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yes, lemm is not the only God-teir patcher we have.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Necroing for the sake of saying that this mod doesn't offer you any kind of satisfaction and/or reward unless you're a sadomasochist. I spent countless attempts at level 16, and I started to expect getting trolled by the ending. Once I beat it...I wish I had been wrong.

I absolutely loved the gravity patches in this mod. I'm looking forward to a Fall Up 2.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Fall up 2? Will it be a Galaxy mod? :begging
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Grimson wrote:Necroing for the sake of saying that this mod doesn't offer you any kind of satisfaction and/or reward unless you're a sadomasochist. I spent countless attempts at level 16, and I started to expect getting trolled by the ending. Once I beat it...I wish I had been wrong.
Playing some of the most inventive and original levels isn't already reward enough? What kind of satisfaction could the ending give you?

But anyway congrats on finishing + thanks for reminding me I should replay this again.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Congrats on being one of the few to beat the last level without save states, Grimson. I couldn't do it :o

While the ending is very brief, I personally found it very mysterious and in-line with the general mood of the story line of the rest of Keenrush's mods. Tghe collective stories of Keenrush's mods form a sort of mythos to a much darker, unexplained Keen universe.

And yes, in any case, Keenrush we're eagerly awaiting your next mod :drool