Commander Keen: Fall Up ("Mystery Mod") released..

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I don't have problems with reading the text on the dotted background. The dots don't stand out too much to be a problem.

I forgot to mention how I like the "One Last Moment" screen and what happens to Keen when he "shoots" :P
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

wiivn do you have some strange case of colorblindness that makes white, gray, and black all contrast garishly and make text hard to read? I prefer this over a lazy, hard color for a background.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Ceilick wrote:And the ending...I won't mention it here until more people have beaten it, but when you get on messenger I've got a few questions.
:lol And congratulations Ceilick, you might be the first one to finish it, at least you're the first one to say it.

Thanks again everyone. :) I'm glad to see that people like it so and also think the difficulty is alright.

And about the background -- the background as it is is very easy on my eyes. :confused And I should know since I was the one who made all the levels and tested/played them again and again. And that text comparison is a bit irrelevant in my opinion -- of course that sort of text is somewhat more difficult to read against this background, especially since the text consist of 1-pixel wide lines, BUT my mod never had such text; all the graphics were more or less 16x16 pixel tiles with black edges (if not counting the deadly orbs). :confused
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I don't have colorblindness and I can read it. That was not the point. While the screen is moving, the background looks like flickering. It's hard to explain, so forget it.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

wiivn wrote:the background looks like flickering.
i can confirm this, but its not so bad that you have to mention it.

w0000t completed all levels (level 16 with save states). interesting ending. but i am not sure what i saw.
me liked this mod. it will be one of the best mods for a while.
nothing usefull here
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Commander Spleen wrote:OMAN PUBLICITY STUNT

Playn later.

Grimson wrote:Comrade Keen defies gravity Image
:lol
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Re: Commander Keen: Fall Up ("Mystery Mod") releas

Post by Syllypryde »

KeenRush wrote:........And don't complain that it's too difficult because this time for sure it is NOT.
Were you high on "negative gravity" when you made this statement? The only thing, the ONLY THING that makes this mod any easier than the previous two is we have unlimited lives. Without that it is ALMOST as ridiculously difficult as the other two. The jumps and puzzles are just as unforgiving (make one mistake and you're done, miss a jump you're done, take the wrong path you're done, grab the wrong gravity chip you're done, move too fast you're done, move too slow you're done, fart and you're done...!!!)

Difficulty aside, this is a great mod. The gameplay is excellent and the puzzles are definitely well constructed. Unlike most of the other difficult mods out there, the large degree of difficulty actually adds to the playability of this mod. The difficulty is what makes this mod entertaining! Every time you die (or make your head explode!) you are that much more determined to beat the level! Fall Up was created just like any good mod should be! Its difficulty adds to the fun, not hinders it as it does in a handful of other mods (as if I really need to list them!) The graphics are well done and the new sounds are great! I wish more Vorticon modders would attempt to use new sounds in their mods. The lack of enemies and the use of the original Keen sprite are the only two nitpicks I have with this.

Overall, it is a kick-ass mod. Right now I only have five levels done and I am seriously struggling on the sixth, but I will presevere!

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Wow, this mod is just great!
As said before, the sounds and the puzzles are well done!
I got passed the first three levels, no I'm stuck but still trying. :-)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I am on the flying level right now. What sucks is I know exactly what needs to be done in order to complete the level, but after forty plus tries, I just cannot seem to execute it. :dead
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Oh man, those are some garging hard levels. But the mod is really awesome! The gameplay is just TOO fun and addictive. Got stuck on the level with the small, tall part on the right. I always accidentally grab the high jump before heading for the exit, miss the exit jump, totally fucl something up and land on a black orb or miss the last flight. The levels are ridiculously difficult, but somewhat easier than A New Dope and Episode Smile. This is a total revolution in Keen modding.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I've beaten 4 levels so far. Challenging, but far from unplayable this time. This could be because now there's no enemies, but it's a sacrifice that has to be made when your ammo changes gravity.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Seven levels complete!!!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

This is definitely pretty excellent. I love the minimalism, and everything is very polished. These levels are a nicely evil combination of action and puzzle.

I'm glad you included the infinite lives patch. I don't think I would have the patience for it otherwise. I'm still yet to play much of Smile and A New Dope because of the lives thing.

The shooting patch is brilliant. I'm stealing this for my not-so-minimod. Also I notice you managed to eliminate the Keens Left window entirely. There were certain details that eluded me on this. Stealing that too.

Also this mod is being used to christen the new DOS gaming room I setup today. We'll see how long it lasts playing on original hardware before I need to resort to the savestate patched DOSBox.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The ending was insane, mind I had some ideas from scanning the patch file. I always figured that'd be more of a Spleen thing. I guess not.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

WhAT thE FUCL!??!!?!!????????

I just got through this extremely hard level requiring ridiculous precision, and I saw the exit was "out of order." Then I kept going and saw The Most Disturbing Cutscene Ever and got a GAME OVER.