The Great Dangerous Dave Project

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

The Great Dangerous Dave Project

Post by Levellass »

Now with More Capitalized Titles!

After several inquiries from people I have decided to go to work on a project to produce completely moddable Dangerous Dave, from episode 1 to episode 4 I am about half way there, being able to extract graphics, mod levels and write patches. I am most advanced with Dave 2, which can be as extensively modded as Keen 2/3 now.

I am interested in who else might be interested or provide help. (Such as with mindbelt, which can be jury rigged to edit Dave 2 levels, but cannot edit them natively or even use KeenGraph graphics. (HINT HINT Mink!))

I hope to provide a pack containing an extended setup like the one in my Dave 3/4 level editing. This probably won't be done until new year, once Xmas 2010 is done. (Leaving just 4 unfinished mod project, whee... next year is going to be flooded with mods.) I'm primarily looking for people to adapt existing Keen 4-6 tools such as Mindbelt, tpt3 and tileinfo to work with Dave 2,3,4, which is almost identical in format to Keen. I can provide any needed information on differences.

As a side note to those editing Dave 3/4 levels, my setup has a patchfile you can use to run modified levels. If you run TED5 with RUNTED.BAT everything will be automatic. (Important note tpt3 users, there is no %gamemaps or %maphead command in the dave patch programs.)

More soon.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

What about DDICI?
Last edited by DHeadshot on Mon Dec 13, 2010 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Mink
Vortininja'd

Re: The Great Dangerous Dave Project

Post by Mink »

Levellass wrote:(Such as with mindbelt, which can be jury rigged to edit Dave 2 levels, but cannot edit them natively or even use KeenGraph graphics. (HINT HINT Mink!))
Heheh, I actually finished up the KG compatibility last week: http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/mi ... beltkg.zip
I'm not completely familiar with DD, so what do you mean by 'cannot edit them natively' (I seem to recall CK Guy making it possible to edit Dave through some editing of the config files) and just how are you rigging it so editing works?
Levellass wrote:I'm primarily looking for people to adapt existing Keen 4-6 tools such as Mindbelt, tpt3 and tileinfo to work with Dave 2,3,4, which is almost identical in format to Keen. I can provide any needed information on differences.
Dave 3/4 both use the Dreams level format, right? [edit: and by this I mean they're in the galaxy format except huffman compressed instead of carmackized] I'm currently working on adding Dreams editing to TOM - so once that's done I can probably set it up for Dave fairly easily/quickly.
Last edited by Mink on Sun Dec 12, 2010 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'll be interested to see anything Dangerous Dave 1 related as it's my favorite.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Re: The Great Dangerous Dave Project

Post by Nospike »

Mink wrote:Heheh, I actually finished up the KG compatibility last week
OMFGZORZ IT HAS HAPPENED
I'll return when Botafloria levels are complete. :p
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

What about DDICI?
If there's interest; it's a beta game with no story or way to win or even exit the first level, is this really wanted? KG will likely have graphics export support.
I'm not completely familiar with DD, so what do you mean by 'cannot edit them natively'
As in I cannot start up mindbelt and edit the levels. I am currently editing them via renaming to *.CK2 and using an altered config file. It would be nice to get some DD2 (And NIN) support in Mindbelt, since it should be trivial to add them. (The format for levels is exactly the same, with just some differences in what enemies and tiles are what.) Mind, both games have point sprites, not point tiles...
Dave 3/4 both use the Dreams level format, right? [edit: and by this I mean they're in the galaxy format except huffman compressed instead of carmackized] I'm currently working on adding Dreams editing to TOM - so once that's done I can probably set it up for Dave fairly easily/quickly.
Yes. Exactly. Indeed the engine is KD based. (Will you be supporting Biomenace?)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.