How Bleen Saved Kwanzaa

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

KeenRush wrote:Haven't finished the first level yet...
Are you expecting a 2nd level with that map screen?

I think it deserves a levelpack. Me and paramultart just felt that we should keep it 'minimalistic' so it could be made in a couple days. Of course, because of Hofstadter's law, we ended up making a grand tileset and took more than a week to finish it. If a levelpack is to be made, someone else should do it, and make a real world map to go with it.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I would like to contribute to this said "levelpack", since I contributed very little to the main level. :D
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

Oh wow.

This is awesome. It's making me want to try modding too.

Not much mind you, but still.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

The only difficulties I've run into are getting cornered by VortiRacists, and also the jumping puzzles in the sewers. While some elements in these are based on luck, the mod actually requires some skill to play!

This is a really cool, if controversial, mod. :D Personally I got no problem with stereotyping if it's all in good fun.

EDIT: Are those KFC buckets and basketballs I see? :O :lol
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Certainly an interesting one, this. Graphics were okay, the map screen (or apparent lack thereof) was executed well, and it was nice to see slopes, as has been mentioned. The political incorrectness was handled well, never taking itself seriously for a moment, and the sight of Klansmen collapsing into a pile of stained sheets was amusing to say the least.

A good showcase of the talent both VBB and Ptart possess, the collaboration allows them to fully utilize their strengths and negates their weaknesses. It'd be nice to see more from the pair.
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

A good showcase of the talent both VBB and Ptart possess, the collaboration allows them to fully utilize their strengths and negates their weaknesses. It'd be nice to see more from the pair.
Oh, so we're reviewing mods Roger Ebert style now?

<rogerebert>

Commander Keen is a family friendly game. Indeed, that may be the key to it's initial success, that anybody could play it without a helicopter parent watching over their heads, that the controls were simple and the mechanics easy to learn. I would certainly have no problem if a copy of Goodbye Galaxy fell into, say, my nephew's hands, if I cared about video games, which I don't, making the following review totally contradictory for me staying in character. Hm.

But "How Bleen saved Kwanzaa" is a stark departure from the normally child-friendly tone of the series and of most of the mods, and presents a world of broken windows, urine soaked snowballs and klan members running riot in sewers, and oddly enough, occasionally pausing to dance. The bright colours and humour remain, albeit in a much different form, where the bright red and yellow show the burning flames, the bright white the snow and the colour of the klansmen, the bright yellow urine, and the bright green as the sewers. We should stay far away from the bright brown within the sewers.

The titular character "Bleen" comes from a stereotyped impoverished black family celebrating that enigmatic winter holiday mentioned only in diversity sessions, Kwanzaa, when his family is harassed by the KKK in the form of a brick thrown through a window, where at this point, he swears to do very unpleasant things to the perpetrators of this crime.

Whether or not you find Bleen funny will depend entirely upon how easily offended you are. The game takes none of it's content seriously and throws urine-soaked snowballs at the idea of political correctness with it's use of KFC and Basketball items for scoring high. Poorly spelt KKK propaganda in the form of graffiti (possibly painted in urine) litters the walls with messages such as "KKK r 1337" and "Sonichu zap 2 da xtreem!" (as Roger Ebert and not an average internet user, I do not understand the relevance of the second example, but I imagine others may.) If this is the sort of thing that would leave you red-faced and ready to write to your local congressman, stay well away. You'd be better off waiting on Keen Xmas '10 (and what a wait it is.)

But if you're the kind who enjoys this sort of humour, then please, by all means play Bleen. The real joy comes in the technical achievements and finesse of the graphics and modding. I doesn't personally make me laugh, but I can't fault it.

</rogerebert>
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

but TerminILL is right, they make a good pair, I'm so happy that they did work together.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

Look at all these piss-soaked snowballs just lying around the ground in neat piles. Either this is city is dystopia or Frosty the snowman has a bladder problem.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I really enjoyed working with VikingBoyBilly and hope to do so again soon.

I suppose there should have been a content warning for the game, since there are a lot of young kids and man-children in the Keen community. (VBB being one of those said man-children :p )

One or two actual swear words slipped into the final game although they were intended to be c*nsored or made into euphemisms.

I can't say I apologize if anyone was offended, (which I doubt anyone was) but I would like to say on my behalf that we had no intention of perverting or "adult-izing" the Keen series, and rest assured any future projects will not have any similar adult or controversial themes.

VBB made his policy very clear in the beginning that he wanted to draw the line at swear words and sexual content and nudity, which is good because I'd say the balance of racy content (no pun intended) in the final game is actually funnier than if we didn't take it too far by exploring those venues. (I had some rough ideas that probably would have ruined the fun for everyone)

To be perfectly honest, I hate it when people take something that's supposed to be innocent and fun and add adult themes to it. For that reason, I was somewhat disappointed with Duke3D... It was like the "Rule34" of what used to be a somewhat tame and family-friendly side-scroller title. The deliberate slaughtering of sexualized, practically nude women that you don't even have the option of rescuing was particularly unsettling.

But it's important to keep in mind that while this is a Keen mod, it's not a Keen game and thus shares no relation to the franchise other than the engine and Tulip's character which is a deliberate parody. It's a spin-off of a spin-off, or to put it simply:

Yo dawg, I herd u like spin-offs, so we put a spin-off in yo spin-off so you can Bleen while you Bleen.

PS. I am not responsible for any of the internet memes that made their way into the game. :foot
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

I wasn't offended, nor was I really thinking that hard about the game. I was just writing an approximation of what I thought Roger Ebert would write. It was a joke.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Paramultart wrote:but I would like to say on my behalf that we had no intention of perverting or "adult-izing" the Keen series, and rest assured any future projects will not have any similar adult or controversial themes.
Not even if they feature Molly? :P
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

...what?
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Eros: Just posting "what?" isn't really useful to the thread. When you post, please post with more content than that.

Bleen saves kwanzaa was pretty cool. Pretty cool edit you guys did of the Keen 9 title screen, although I see Tulip and I weren't credited for the design of keen/bleen in it :O :p

The music is pretty great, really like the title screen music and how it blends, I think, a bit of "god rest ye merry gentlemen" in.

Enjoyed the story and most of the humor in it, although I think there were bits which were a bit crudely descriptive, in my opinion. Also hitting f1 for the help section was hilarious.

General graphics and gameplay was fun, although I found jumping the burning crosses on the rooftop to be pretty difficult.

The ending screen is completely badass, and the end story worked too.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Ceilick wrote:General graphics and gameplay was fun, although I found jumping the burning crosses on the rooftop to be pretty difficult.
heh, that's because you're not supposed to jump them. Unless you're crazy enough to go for the points (I haven't even done so myself, and I put them there!)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

:O I thought jumping the crosses was the only way to get to the area past that building! Need to play again now.