How Bleen Saved Kwanzaa

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

Ceilick wrote::O I thought jumping the crosses was the only way to get to the area past that building! Need to play again now.
What did you think the sewer was for?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

There wasn't a lot of quality control in this mod, so naturally it has its flaws.
If I actually tweaked everything on my checklist rather than rushing the release, I probably would have changed the tile properties on the burning cross to exclude the very top row as "deadly", although now that I think about it that may have conflicted with VBB's level design and allowed you to skip entire areas. (Although apparently, Ceilick, due to some form of divine wizardry, managed to clear those impossible areas.)

@Ceilick: You were credited... At least you were in the first post of this thread. I know Tulip was credited twice in the actual game. It's pretty safe to assume that the BoTB titlescreen is widely recognized and somewhat notorious in these parts, so if we neglected to credit you sufficiently, it would only reflect badly on me. ;)

And yes, I did intentionally throw an obscured Christmas riff into one of the songs... We tried to keep the Christmas theme minimal for obvious reasons, but the game does in fact take place on the night of Christmas. :)

@DHeadshot: http://www.paramultart.comyr.com/trasha ... ololol.png

@PandoricaShark: It was never implied the Bleen was poor, just that he had relatives in a bad neighborhood.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Graphics: Should have been 'present' not 'presents' at the start (Which I'm sure you 'resent' ) I think the sewer.. stuff should've been opaque, or transparent yellow so the KKK guys that fell in it would look yellow.

Very well done overall, in the style or Paramultart if I'm not mistaken. Had a few small glitches, notably the ending sequence, but brilliant overall, despite the minimalist leanings.

Sprites were almost perfect and quite reminiscent of an early 90s game. You did a great job of setting the mood.

Levels: Or level, a HUGE level. Seriously, maybe the biggest level I've ever seen. I managed to get through it after seven tries by only shooting two klansmen, because I'm just not violent.

Gameplay: Slopes, very inventively used as well, this alone changes the gameplay somewhat. While still quite keen, you add a twist to the levels that is refreshing.

Music was excellent as usual. I have added it to my level building playlist.

I will have to redo... something I was working on now that using urine offensively has been done. (I think I'll stick with Keen's blaster. So it goes.)

Story: The highscores were awesomely done, do you know Jittery Dragon? You sound a lot like him in-level. I don't get nearly any of the references you used (The black ones, not the Jittery ones.), heck, I don't even know what kwanza is, but it was still entertaining.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Well, the holidays are upon us, and as we approach the three-year anniversary of this cheesy little mod, now might be a good time to trudge through this one-level challenge if you haven't already.

I just played through it for the first time in years, and I must say I'm quite proud of how much content we were able to pack into such a tiny project.

Honestly, I'm surprised VBB let me slip some of the lower-than-low-brow humor in here... It kind of makes me sick, which makes me all the more happy with it.

VBB's sprite work in here still amazes me.

The intro story and end story alone are worth a gander, even if you have to G-O-D your way through the level to get to it.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"