Commander Keen: Xmas 2010

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Commander Keen: Xmas 2010

Post by szemi »

Commander Keen: Xmas 2010, the first true Keen Dreams mod is FINALLY HERE!!!!

Download:
http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/sz ... 20v1.0.zip

Mirror link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?29z1x9g1j2b5ht7
Last edited by szemi on Wed Jan 12, 2011 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Hooray, trying it out now.

The title screen looks a lot better than it did all the way back when we first saw it.

edit: heh, the level entrance sound is neat.

another edit: heck, all the sound effects are cool - I love the little jingles when you collect items.
Last edited by Mink on Wed Jan 12, 2011 21:48, edited 2 times in total.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Playing. :)

EDIT: Fantastic.

EDIT2: There seems to be a huge inconsistency in terms of quality as well as perspective. I'm having a hard time differentiating between what parts of the environment are climbable, harmful, background, foreground, etc.

The icicles are very misleading because I always expect them to be harmful, and there are no indications as to what part of the ground is walkable and what's just for show. The random assortment of two-dimensional ice cubes in the igloo levels kind of throw off the perspective. In the world map, you can also be seen walking beneath the foreground root tiles whenever they should actually be solid and impassable.

Just a few things I've noticed thus far.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Looks good. Finally a mod that is worth my time.

EDIT 2: Gotta agree with Para here. I think there is a bit of clashing with the ice/snow tiles used in the same level, too.

However, the mod does look good and play nice so far. It'd be nice if those things could be fixed.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

yay! now for the next long awaited game, BOTB!

heh, "celassmi".
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The first dreams mod that wasn't cancelled! And the enemies stay dead when you hit them :O
Eros wrote:yay! now for the next long awaited game, BOTB!

heh, "celassmi".
I thought it was 'ceilassmi'

I understand this is set in some fictitious world, but penguins AND inuits? :rolleyes
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

oh yeah...
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

I just beat Bad Elf. Great mod, especially considering what it's based off of. My only complaint is there's too many enemies, even on easy mode. Plus, there's a couple confusing things. I spotted a girl character in the Winter Wonderland level, but I couldn't reach her. Also, there's a path behind Santa's Cottage that can't be accessed. Does it lead anywhere?

EDIT: Used the jump cheat to reach the girl character. She does nothing but stand there. Also, I found out the path behind Santa's Cottage leads to Hidden Hills. There's also a purple rabbit head there that also does nothing.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Too many enemies? The enemy amount is fine and I was playing on hard.

I finished it. My only complaint is that some of the levels are so short they can barely be called levels.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

I found the enemy placement to be rather cheap, but I shouldn't complain since I could just save before an enemy would kill me.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Enemy placement isn't actually affected by difficulty level, unlike Keen 4-6. I'm not sure if the difficulty levels actually have any affect on the game since enemies are permanently defeated.

Several of the enemies were placed in an attempt to utilize the snowball arc and bounce. I'm not sure if these are the 'cheap' placements or not.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Very nice graphics, especially the stars and the trees.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I played through this, and I was quite impressed by some things. Except for a few sloppy tiles in certain places, the graphics in this mod were outstanding. I really enjoyed all of the different locations here. The enemies were pretty good. A few of them got a bit annoying, but they seemed very new and exciting. A few of them were placed in cheap spots, however. My biggest complaint would have to be with the tileinfo. There are several errors throughout the game. If these could be fixed, the game would be a lot better.

The new sound effects were great. I wish the mod could have had music, though. I realize that this is Keen Dreams, but I thought I heard that adding music could be made possible. :confused

Anyway, nice work with this szemi :christmas
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Great work!
I played the frist levels and it felt very good (Sometimes better than Keen Dreams :-) )
I agree with most of what has been said so far and I died several times due to not getting what was background and what was harmful.

Some enemies are a bit hard for my taste. After a few levels I started to throw snowballs all of the time because I feared to run into a running Candy Stick again....

And now I'm going to play a little more. :-)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

lemm wrote:Very nice graphics, especially the stars and the trees.
Those were ripped from Biomenace and Monster Bash, y'know. Everything else plus the enemies are (as far as I can tell) completely original and get my compliments. Oh, but the crystal caves backgrounds came from cosmo, i think.
Gridlock wrote:I really enjoyed all of the different locations here.
I agree with this sentiment. Every level is essentially a different environment, which is alot like what Keen Dreams did.
Keenfan wrote: After a few levels I started to throw snowballs all of the time because I feared to run into a running Candy Stick again....
Candystick?! :O
I thought they were noisemakers! :birthday :christmas
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass