Commander Keen: Xmas 2010

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

VBB, just redownload and it should be fine :)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Back to the bugs: everybody, can you post them to Keenwiki to see which one should we fix.

Edit: Mod is also available on moddb.com:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/commander-keen-xmas-2010
Yeah, piece of cake!
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I'm very impressed. The graphics look great, some of the enemies I don't even recognize from their original sprites (I have no idea what the penguin was originally, or the standard elf.) It's a beautiful mod, seeming well thought out, and much better designed than the original Keen Dreams.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

This is amazing, well worth the wait. Superb mod.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
zdude
Grunt

Post by zdude »

I have found an exploit in the Crystal Caverns. There is a waterfall with one of those 3 life, 8 snowball pickup items in a rather easy to get to area. With this item as easy as it is to obtain, one could simply pick up all the items, kill themselves, and repeat.

I have always pictured that type of item to be ridiculously hard to obtain. With that in that easy of a spot to get, it kinda breaks the game. When I had zero lives, I would simply go to that level, grab the item and die. Then go back to where I was. Think you could look into that?

Otherwise it is great! Excellent job! It has pumped me up for Keen9 when it's released! :D
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

great mod, and yeah, zdude is right, actually the 3up 8shot item was the first thing I got in the whole game.
Also as was mentioned before, the tree's platform/fall areas are rather unforseeable.
Also I liked the melting snowman from the beta more than the dissolving ice cube that's now the sprite for dying enemies.
But all in all a great mod, and a great accomplishment to finish the first KeenDreams mod!
Image You crack me up little buddy!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Thanks.
Yeah, piece of cake!
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

zdude wrote:I have found an exploit in the Crystal Caverns. There is a waterfall with one of those 3 life, 8 snowball pickup items in a rather easy to get to area. With this item as easy as it is to obtain, one could simply pick up all the items, kill themselves, and repeat.

I have always pictured that type of item to be ridiculously hard to obtain. With that in that easy of a spot to get, it kinda breaks the game. When I had zero lives, I would simply go to that level, grab the item and die. Then go back to where I was. Think you could look into that?

Otherwise it is great! Excellent job! It has pumped me up for Keen9 when it's released! :D
I agree with the 3up/ammo x8 item- its too easy to get. Like Tulip said, it was the first item that I got.

The one that I remember from keen Dreams was ridiculously tough, remember? You had to go through about 4 homicidal tomatoes and seed-shooters? It has to be like that.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

I'm loving this mod! I think I like it even better than he original Keen Dreams! Can't wait till it gets music!
I liked the melting snowman from the beta more than the dissolving ice cube that's now the sprite for dying enemies.
I agree, but the sound when you hit something is all kinds of win and wouldn't make sense with a snowman. :D
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Yeah. At least.
Yeah, piece of cake!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Preston wrote:I just beat Bad Elf. Great mod, especially considering what it's based off of. My only complaint is there's too many enemies, even on easy mode. Plus, there's a couple confusing things. I spotted a girl character in the Winter Wonderland level, but I couldn't reach her. Also, there's a path behind Santa's Cottage that can't be accessed. Does it lead anywhere?

EDIT: Used the jump cheat to reach the girl character. She does nothing but stand there. Also, I found out the path behind Santa's Cottage leads to Hidden Hills. There's also a purple rabbit head there that also does nothing.
1. Don't complaint, there are MUCH harder mods.
2. Girl character would be Levellass.
3. To reach Santa's cottage level, move aside Keen and you will get there.
4. Why is it problem that the rabbit doesn't do anything? Hm? It's a secret level,so.....
5. Too many enemies? Leave that level. ;P
Yeah, piece of cake!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Where is Level 5- Cookie Cliffs??? Is it the so-called "2nd" secret level? I found how to reach Hidden Hills. I cannot find Cookie Cliffs on the map anywhere. I did find a path that takes Keen off the map. By "off the map" I mean Keen can run around where all the snow is. Just above Levels 15-16 Bad Elf's Chamber and Castle, there is another castle just above them in the snow. It seems to be background and cannot be entered. So I run around the entire map in the snow and still... I cannot find Cookie Cliffs! Is this level supposed to be unreachable other then by the warp cheat?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Syllypryde wrote:Where is Level 5- Cookie Cliffs??? Is it the so-called "2nd" secret level? I found how to reach Hidden Hills. I cannot find Cookie Cliffs on the map anywhere. I did find a path that takes Keen off the map. By "off the map" I mean Keen can run around where all the snow is. Just above Levels 15-16 Bad Elf's Chamber and Castle, there is another castle just above them in the snow. It seems to be background and cannot be entered. So I run around the entire map in the snow and still... I cannot find Cookie Cliffs! Is this level supposed to be unreachable other then by the warp cheat?
Level 5 - Cookie Cliffs was going to be a level in the game, but due to the very buggy tiles we had to scrap. But in the 2nd release we will include it.

I saw the other castle surrounded with snow. I don't know to be honest with you. Maybe just a background image or something.
Yeah, piece of cake!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

RivaStyle wrote:Really nice mod... nice sounds (ripped from Biomenace & Wolf3D, huh?) good graphics and good level design too (but some are too short >: ).

I cannot figure how to get to the second secret level...
They are NOT ripped from Wolf3D,Bio Menace or any other game,ok?
Yeah, piece of cake!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

The graphics on this are superb. Level design's pretty good, too. Feels like Keen Dreams, but at the same time, it doesn't - it feels like a better game because the level design and enemies are (in my opinion) more entertaining than the original.

There were some occurrences where I had to make a blind jump down and hope I didn't fall into any traps that were off-screen - of course I fell into the water a few times while doing this. I also get killed sometimes at the beginning of a level because I'm doing something else and there's an enemy at the beginning.

Sound effects were mediocre. There were a few good ones in there, but the peeping you hear when obtaining items got quite annoying after the second level. Still, nice effort actually replacing these.

I personally had no problems with the icicles, by the way.
szemi wrote:
RivaStyle wrote:Really nice mod... nice sounds (ripped from Biomenace & Wolf3D, huh?) good graphics and good level design too (but some are too short >: ).

I cannot figure how to get to the second secret level...
They are NOT ripped from Wolf3D,Bio Menace or any other game,ok?
You could have worded that to sound less defensive and more admirable:
Actually, these sounds are not ripped, but original and made by...
;)
Wow look at me I'm lurking