Commander Keen: Xmas 2010

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I've tried, sadly, even if I did succeed, most of the levels take up too much memory to have music in them. (This makes Dreams much more forgiving than 4-6 memory, animation and tile-wise, did you know it has safeguards to stop too many sprite appearing in a level? They just don't get spawned, which can lead to bugs.)

I have 1 or two songs composed for the mod that didn't make it. They'll probably be used elsewhere.

If someone could compose a nice bug list with pictures where necessary (That is, everywhere) I may be able to get around to fixing at least some of them.

There seems to be a huge inconsistency in terms of quality as well as perspective.
Indeed, this was the biggest problem. I'm curious about the icles, they're based on those in cosmo, why would icicles hurt you? Did I miss a big bit of gaming somewhere? I don't Wanna Be The Guy you know!

Trees on the world map were either all background or all foreground, for a few reasons I won't go into here, i couldn't combine the two. (Ok, one reason, tile failure. You'll notice the tileset has 3 'bust' tiles in it, they appear fine in TED5 but the game can't display them, using more complex graphics and indeed, correcting 'sloppy' tile placement causes the number of bugged tiles to increase.)

We also ran out of tiles. If you use the warp cheat to get to the removed level (aka secret level 3) you'll see what ALL the levels were like before we spent the last two weeks fixing them up. It's not pretty.

Used the jump cheat to reach the girl character
You'll have to ask Szemi about them, they're Keen's family somehow I think. The secret level is secret, it has some stuff in it just put there for kicks.

Those were ripped from Biomenace and Monster Bash,
Wrongo! Stars were indeed ripped, but from Duke Nukum 1. The trees are original (Unless I've brainwashed myself. I'd like a picture showing where they were ripped from, it would be embarassing to forget where I'd got my graphics from, please oblige.)

I thought I heard that adding music could be made possible.
I tried, oh how I tried! I even have songs made up.

like before, i feel that the trees aren't explicit enough (obvious, not NSFW). maybe bold them?
Map trees or level trees?

I think that problem lies within the actual Keen Dreams engine.
There are a number of them:

* Keen occasionally glitches through walls

* Keen will 'flick' like above when looking up\down or jumping

* The game can stop spawning sprites (Like Keen's shot) without warning in larger levels

* Tiles will become 'bust' if too much of the tileset (!) is used or graphics are too complex

You get the idea. Keen Dreams is rather a bit like a demo Keen 6, and Keen 6 had enough bugs as it is.

SPOILERS: you can freely walk in the dark elf's vat of lava and you dont die.
There's a 'kill tile' used to make it deadly, but people never ask me how I do things, then they change the tileset so they can't even see how I did it. A lot of the level bugs are because of this. It makes me wonder how feasible it is for me to work with anyone since nobody understands how my twisted little mind works.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

level trees
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

So there's not just a second secret level, but a third? :O
I'm gonna bust my brain thinking about this!
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Just thought I'd post this annoying little tile problem here... hopefully you'll see what's wrong with this picture:
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I have no idea what's wrong there. :dopekeen
Also in response to Lass' question about the icicles, I guess it's just a natural aversion to spiky things?
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Despite the bugs, this is an amazing piece of work. Good job guys!

Clever new enemies and tiles, and the enemies actually die (though this does negate the point of difficulty levels, but still)! Too bad about the music though.

Most importantly, this is like Yorphius II, the first Keen Dreams mod! Set's an awesome precedent.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Great to see this out! Downloaded to flash drive and today shall be dedicated to Xmas Keen.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Just completed the game (but didn't find any of the secret levels :(). Have to say that this mod has excellent quality. As it was yet another X-mas themed mod I was (before playing) a bit wary, thinking "Keen saves X-mas... again... :tired" but this really is good. :) The artists really master the EGA. This has one of the best graphics seen in mods. The levels are a great variety. The sprites are funny, my favourites were the penguin and the tomato replacement (whatever that was!). Good work, team. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Now levellass just has to finish sweet dreams (please?) :begging
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I like this new game.

I think it would be good if this page got updated as much as possible...
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Command ... _Xmas_2010
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

TerminILL wrote:I have no idea what's wrong there.
The candy cane tile placed ABOVE the foreground dirt.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Typical. That's a debug graphic. Why didn't Ceilick catch that one? He got all the other, sometime subtle ones that were there? *Sigh*

This wouldn't have happened if I'd had the time to do a final check-over, but you won't believe how busy things are here.

level trees
The problem there being the black background, which posed some problems with outlining things. Any suggestions for making them more obvious? I tried to copy the style in Dave 3.
Now levellass just has to finish sweet dreams (please?)
This is the book end to SD, that's why it has several graphics from it scattered about.. So don't look for anything more on that front. It's finished as far as I'm concerned.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Levellass wrote:Typical. That's a debug graphic. Why didn't Ceilick catch that one? He got all the other, sometime subtle ones that were there? *Sigh*
Caught this within minutes after release and fixed. I think Paramultart and Mink were the only ones who got the unfixed version. Also it didn't help that the zip file in the "releases" folder wasn't actually ready for release :P
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

um, maybe only the standable tree parts are completely green or gently twinkling?
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Ceilick wrote:
Levellass wrote:Caught this within minutes after release and fixed. I think Paramultart and Mink were the only ones who got the unfixed version.
I got one >: