Unofficial Keen FAQ v2.01

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

DHeadshot wrote:What about the 30th Anniversary of Keen's release?
We do a dramatic reading.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Deltamatic wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:What about the 30th Anniversary of Keen's release?
We do a dramatic reading.
Best idea I've heard all week. I'd better start recording though, it's gonna take me ten years to finish...

Also, I've fixed the huge error the DHeadshot noticed. Thank-you sir! Link updated to http://cc314.shikadi.net/keenfaq201.txt

So, Merry Christmas :christmas, Happy Birthday :birthday, etc. etc. etc.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

The hardest part is
jumping up to the last two red platforms, as it requires you to use your pogo
stick, which may through off your rhythm.
Other than this typo (In Bobba fortress walkthrough), it is very good. Just a couple questions about the Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients:
-I realize that this walkthrough is assuming the player is in normal mode, but I also know it's possible (at least in easy mode) for the player to get the first two lifewater flasks before the Treasure Eater gets them, since I've done it a zillion times. You just have to shoot at just the right instant.
-I'm sure you aren't trying to tell players every secret, but it's at least worth mentioning that you can totally ignore the red key by jumping onto the floating platform in the lower right above the tar, and riding it while ducking over into the left wall to the space with the guns and the lifewater flask. Makes it a little faster to beat the level. Or is this platform not there in normal mode?
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Thanks for the typo catch (and the compliment). I've fixed it.

As for your questions:
1. I wanted the walkthrough to be geared towards an average player, without resorting to anything overly difficult if at all possible. I've also noticed that the Poison Slug will be heading left some 33% of the time, often resulting in a quick death after blasting the Treasure Eater.
2. The platform is there on normal, but as the Red Gem is almost directly en-route to the disabled bridge, and the fact that I generally didn't want to use secret paths to get through the level, I skipped over the fact that it was technically unnecessary. It may be worth a mention, however, in the walkthrough.

Thanks for your questions!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's