Keen 9: Battle of the Brains

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I have completed this twice on easy. I have now begun my normal run. So far I have completed HUB Command Center, Shivonia City, Fort Yetisburg, Jotundra Mountains, and Frosthool Station. I am stuck on VitaCorp, Defense Tower Surth and Elevator Access Station. In VC, I either die on the poles trying to reach the orb cluster or die at the very end by the Cybloog. IN DTS, I am able to get through the gun room most of the time now, but usually die when I go back through it a second time to go to the blue gem door.

As for EAS, it is obvious why I am having trouble with this level... the Krodacian Overlords! One time when I got the yellow gem and started heading toward its gemholder, I was ambushed by not one, but both overlords in the large room between Lt. Barker and the place where I grabbed the yellow gem. I literally hung there on the large pole for twenty-six minutes waiting for at least one of them to teleport somewhere else or for the two of them to teleport on top of each other. Finally, they teleported on top of each other and I made a break for it. By some divine intervention I made it out without being killed. However, my victory was short lived! When I got to where Keen starts the level and was waiting for the goplat to take me up to the gemholder, an overlord teleported right there, landing right on top of my head!!!

All I have to say is, if normal is this difficult, I would really hate to see it on hard!!!

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Syllypryde wrote:I have completed this twice on easy. I have now begun my normal run. So far I have completed HUB Command Center, Shivonia City, Fort Yetisburg, Jotundra Mountains, and Frosthool Station. I am stuck on VitaCorp, Defense Tower Surth and Elevator Access Station. In VC, I either die on the poles trying to reach the orb cluster or die at the very end by the Cybloog. IN DTS, I am able to get through the gun room most of the time now, but usually die when I go back through it a second time to go to the blue gem door.
I take it this means that you're playing through without in level saving? You're brave. I did it on hard, but I in level saved constantly. I'm not sure I could beat it without in level saves on hard. Hard is in fact that hard.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Stealthy71088 wrote:I take it this means that you're playing through without in level saving? You're brave. I did it on hard, but I in level saved constantly. I'm not sure I could beat it without in level saves on hard. Hard is in fact that hard.
All levels except The Warpcore I completed on easy without in-level saving. I also explored every inch of every level and obtained every available point, raygun and orb cluster. I doubt I have found every single secret area, but I am sure I found most of them. I have found 21 orb clusters so far. I am guessing there is one or two more somewhere.

As for The Warpcore I played it through three game overs (17 lives each). After the third game over, I swallowed my pride and used in-level saving on the boss level. Even then I still died over a dozen times before I finally reached the end. I played through easy a second time skipping Mort's Workshop in order to see the original ending. Again, after three game overs (9 lives each), I used in-level saving, this time only dying 7 times before I defeated Mortimer again.

In my earlier post, I said I have 5 levels completed on normal. All of them were completed without in-level saving. I am stuck on 3 other levels, but with practice and patience, I plan to complete this mod on all skills levels.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Found the secret level, it's so cool and inventive. :D
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

KeenRush wrote:Found the secret level, it's so cool and inventive. :D
Happy to hear you finally found it, dude! It makes me think though. Without The Oracle Janitor giving Keen a clue to where it was, I wonder how many people would have actually found it on their own?

I have begun writing my review for BOTB. It should be up by tomorrow or Tuesday.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

:p i love it but i cant beat mortimer any help
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

If you blast him enough at the level start you can temporarily stun him later on whenever you want. This gives you vital maneuvering time.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i bet the team threw around the idea of multiple Mort clones, would you've liked that?

i don't know at all, so i'm just putting this out there.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Mort clones were suggested in the development thread and shot down because they would've cheapened the fight with the original Mortimer McMire.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

This mod surpassed my expectations in every possible way. The wait was certainly worth it.

Also, hopefully this answers a few questions/comments that've been going unanswered for all this time:
The Keen Commander wrote:But BOTB's music hit a new high in my opinion. And is it just me or are a few of the songs loosely based off of some popular songs? I swear I can hear something distinctly recognizable in at least two of them. :disguised
The only one I know of that's loosely based on anything is thehackercat's submission. I can't speak for everyone, but given the number of hours I spent getting the songs tweaked up to work with IMF music format, I would've noticed something.
thehackercat wrote:
The Keen Commander wrote:And is it just me or are a few of the songs loosely based off of some popular songs?
The extremely irritating song that plays in Altaire Station, written by me, is based off of a Ray Charles song. AFAIK, there's no other popular music.
I wouldn't say it's irritating -- 'Too Hot' is irritating. And I *knew* I was hearing something that Ray 'woulda done when I was editing your song.
The Keen Commander wrote:@thehackercat: That was the obvious one...fantastic job! The other one that I thought sounded similar to a song was in The Crater I believe...has similarities to "Josie" by Steely Dan...though far more less noticeably and probably not intentionally.
Alas, I didn't base that song off 'Josie' ... at least intentionally. Maybe on a subconscious level, as around the time that song was written I had been listening to a lot of Steely Dan.
Mobiethian wrote:The music in Shivonia City is the greatest composition of a Keen tune I've ever heard. Just my opinion though. ha
An example of excessive simplicity?
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

_mr_m_ wrote:
Mobiethian wrote:The music in Shivonia City is the greatest composition of a Keen tune I've ever heard. Just my opinion though. ha
An example of excessive simplicity?
It's got a good beat and I got excessively excited over it. ha Favorite official Keen tune of mine is Mamba Snake and it kinda sounds similar.
Cuetlachtli
Grunt

Post by Cuetlachtli »

Since I didn't had much time, I just completed the game on normal and posted my disappointment regarding the amount of levels. Well, in all Keens there were like 17 or 18 levels... but yeah, I forgot that in Keen 5 indeed there were only 13 levels including the secret level... So sad...

Now that I had a little bit more time I've completed the mod on hard and easy. So, now I am the person who completed BOTB on all difficulties. :D

I've completed also the secret level but I can't find the difference between the ending.

I will say one more time: I really love this mod. It has a little bit of every classic platform game. Well at least I feel that way. For example for me:

- Snowy levels are definitely a mixture of legendary pyramid levels of Keen 4 with level 8 from Prehistorik 2. Even Yeti looks a little bit like those polar bears in that level.

- Elevators with Krodacians have something from BioMenace.

- Crystal levels have something from Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. I don't even remember if there were crystal levels but somehow it reminds me Cosmo...

- Crater levels remind me of Crystal Caves.

- The final level somehow (and I don't know how) reminds me of Prince of Persia. Especially with this music in the background.

In addition to this the enemies have some features from other parts of Keens. Keen 1 (Garg in form of Bio-Garg), Keen 5 (Shikadi), Keen 6 (Bloog in form of Cybloog), Keen 7 (Krodacian), Keen GBC (Cybloog, Shikadi Sentry)...

It's like all my childhood (well, the computer childhood) in one game!

And I must say, my favorite theme is definitely the snowy one. I love almost everything about it, including level design, Yetis and BEDHEDs! Cualneci.

PS: Have anyone managed to find the big secret in first level? So different than others. The whole level is covered with walls, and secret place is opened, you can see the stars. I must say I loved this contrast.
Terrorism in "America"! Since 1492.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

So I haven't read these 13 pages (good lord), but I'm having my say.
This is neat.
Also you bastards released a day after I went "majorly AFK" (ie unable to access a computer) for a week. Someday you'll pay for your insolence. Someday.

EDIT: 314th post wooo
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

I just started playing TUIT. How can I access the top right area of the first level?

Regards